ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Pro2 Post-fader insert points feature request  (Read 6941 times)

Steve Ratcliff

Midas Pro2 Post-fader insert points feature request
« on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »

I should have started posting about this when we first saw the Pro2 but it pains me that there is no function for post-fader insert points.  I tend to use this console in corporate settings and the ability to insert Dugan automixing post fade is quite important. I haven't gotten positive feedback from Midas on this-the most I have heard is that their engineers "can't see a use for post fader insert points". Methinks they live in the music mixing world a little too much.  Anyone else have this request? Any updates from Midas on their position? I expect to see more X32s and M32s in the wild and this small change would do a world of good for their credibility in the corporate marketplace.  Cheers all!

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Re: Midas Pro2 Post-fader insert points feature request
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »

Hey Steve,

Its been awhile since I've been on a Pro2 but I believe you can assign the pick off point of the direct outs.  So a work around would be to do a post fader direct out, patch that into your Dugan then patch the Dugan back into an input.  If you are using a Dugan E1 you'd have to make some custom cables (FXLR to 1/4" tip - 1/4" ring to MXLR).  It would use an extra 8 channels.  Its not a perfect solution but it should be a viable work around.

-d

I should have started posting about this when we first saw the Pro2 but it pains me that there is no function for post-fader insert points.  I tend to use this console in corporate settings and the ability to insert Dugan automixing post fade is quite important. I haven't gotten positive feedback from Midas on this-the most I have heard is that their engineers "can't see a use for post fader insert points". Methinks they live in the music mixing world a little too much.  Anyone else have this request? Any updates from Midas on their position? I expect to see more X32s and M32s in the wild and this small change would do a world of good for their credibility in the corporate marketplace.  Cheers all!

Steve Ratcliff

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »

Hey Steve,

Its been awhile since I've been on a Pro2 but I believe you can assign the pick off point of the direct outs.  So a work around would be to do a post fader direct out, patch that into your Dugan then patch the Dugan back into an input.  If you are using a Dugan E1 you'd have to make some custom cables (FXLR to 1/4" tip - 1/4" ring to MXLR).  It would use an extra 8 channels.  Its not a perfect solution but it should be a viable work around.

-d

Ah, David, you are correct, sir.  That is exactly the workaround I have used.  It gets the job done for 8 channels at a time but is not elegant and uses valuable output patches.

Andrew Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »

We use the direct out method with an E2 and Pro1. For low input/output count shows it works great, but I could see running into issues with larger shows or if multiple Dugans are needed. You can always add more stage boxes ;)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »

Why not have a subgroup for each channel, and insert the Dugan channels into the subgroups?

If you are a Waves user, you could get an RPM dynamics box to interface the console with your Mac, and use the Dugan plugin.  It would also allow you to use other plugins, as well as to record multitrack.

Steve Ratcliff

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

Why not have a subgroup for each channel, and insert the Dugan channels into the subgroups?

If you are a Waves user, you could get an RPM dynamics box to interface the console with your Mac, and use the Dugan plugin.  It would also allow you to use other plugins, as well as to record multitrack.

I use most of my subgroups when mixing corporate so no dice on that..

I have considered the Waves native and RPM box. it solves the xlr count issue and is nice and clean. is anyone out there using the dugan plugin?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »

I use most of my subgroups when mixing corporate so no dice on that..

I have considered the Waves native and RPM box. it solves the xlr count issue and is nice and clean. is anyone out there using the dugan plugin?

If using a Dugan automixer is critical to the outcome of the event, perhaps a console it integrates better with is the solution.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

If using a Dugan automixer is critical to the outcome of the event, perhaps a console it integrates better with is the solution.

Mac

This.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 01:30:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.