ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nexo PS Series  (Read 7737 times)

Taylor Gonzalez

Nexo PS Series
« on: January 12, 2014, 07:59:39 PM »

Hi folks, recently I have been researching some speaker models. I have heard lots of good things about the PS series. I've never mixed on any of the Nexo offerings but, have heard their Geo offerings a couple of times and they sounded great. Does anyone have any input on the PS 15s? Have you used them? What have you used to power them? I am aware of their processing and amp sensing goodies. Also, what do the PS15s compared to? EAW KF, SRX?
Thanks! I'll take any information you can give me!

gordonmcgregor

Re: Nexo PS Series
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »

Hi folks, recently I have been researching some speaker models. I have heard lots of good things about the PS series. I've never mixed on any of the Nexo offerings but, have heard their Geo offerings a couple of times and they sounded great. Does anyone have any input on the PS 15s? Have you used them? What have you used to power them? I am aware of their processing and amp sensing goodies. Also, what do the PS15s compared to? EAW KF, SRX?
They are a good though power hungry speaker on a stick, they have a wide dispersion in the lower part of their horn which makes using 2 or more side by side a bit of a problem though some creative horn rotating can minimise this if you are stuck and really need 2 a side. They are hard to break if used with a correctly set up amp/processor I tried very hard for several years and didn't manage to break them :) For a small club rig 2 of these with the PS15 bass extender if it's still available is hard to beat in the portability to noise ratio, if you can justify the cost of them and a big enough amp to drive them (1100 watts into 8 per cab).
 I'm sure there are newer and louder speakers out there that cost less but if you can afford them and they can do what you need then have a look as IMO they work well on smaller gigs and make geat infills etc for larger events.G

Taylor Gonzalez

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »

They are a good though power hungry speaker on a stick, they have a wide dispersion in the lower part of their horn which makes using 2 or more side by side a bit of a problem though some creative horn rotating can minimise this if you are stuck and really need 2 a side. They are hard to break if used with a correctly set up amp/processor I tried very hard for several years and didn't manage to break them :) For a small club rig 2 of these with the PS15 bass extender if it's still available is hard to beat in the portability to noise ratio, if you can justify the cost of them and a big enough amp to drive them (1100 watts into 8 per cab).
 I'm sure there are newer and louder speakers out there that cost less but if you can afford them and they can do what you need then have a look as IMO they work well on smaller gigs and make geat infills etc for larger events.G

I noticed they were very power hungry! What is the price point for these?

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »

I noticed they were very power hungry! What is the price point for these?
As I live in Scotland UK I have no idea waht they cost in the US, they aren't cheap here so I assume a swim across the pond isn't going to help.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

Last time I purchased them they were right at 2k a piece plus amps. The first time I ever purchased NEXO I did not purchase an amp (I had purchased a used NX 4x4)before they would ship I had to prove I had the proper amp/processing by sending them a pic of the serial number. They will at minimum probably make you purchase a NX241. I would never use them without processing and I personally would purchase a NEXO amp. When you look at the total cost to purchase processing and amps of the same size the NX amps make sense and come out at the same price or cheaper. For you the problem may be if you are only looking at 2 PS15 it's a little pricey since you will at minimum need a NX 4x1 (I don't own one but have seen them used for 4k) I own NX4x4 which are about $6500ea it is a 4x4000watt amp though (takes 2 30 amp circuits) the reason I purchased 4x4 is I started my inventory with a S1230 rig over RS15 and I knew I would want to grow it. We have added more boxes and more amps all4x4 and I don't regret the extra $ even though sometimes we just use them for 2 speakers on a stick it keeps my amp inventory uniform and you can even use them on other (NON NEXO) boxes if you need to there is a setting for that. 

Sound quality

they sound awesome. I use a PS15 over RS 15 rig driven by a 4x4 (it's about a 16,000$ rig) and it sound amazing. Very smooth midrange highs aren't piercing and the bottom is ridiculously solid! Sometimes we use 4 ps15 2 per side if we are short in S1230. If I had 1230 available I would prefer 2 1230 or a 1230 and a 1210 per side over PS15 for array ability and if I needed more SPL than a PS 15 could provide. In all though the PS 15 is a great box either on a stick or as a wedge
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Taylor Gonzalez

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »

Last time I purchased them they were right at 2k a piece plus amps. The first time I ever purchased NEXO I did not purchase an amp (I had purchased a used NX 4x4)before they would ship I had to prove I had the proper amp/processing by sending them a pic of the serial number. They will at minimum probably make you purchase a NX241. I would never use them without processing and I personally would purchase a NEXO amp. When you look at the total cost to purchase processing and amps of the same size the NX amps make sense and come out at the same price or cheaper. For you the problem may be if you are only looking at 2 PS15 it's a little pricey since you will at minimum need a NX 4x1 (I don't own one but have seen them used for 4k) I own NX4x4 which are about $6500ea it is a 4x4000watt amp though (takes 2 30 amp circuits) the reason I purchased 4x4 is I started my inventory with a S1230 rig over RS15 and I knew I would want to grow it. We have added more boxes and more amps all4x4 and I don't regret the extra $ even though sometimes we just use them for 2 speakers on a stick it keeps my amp inventory uniform and you can even use them on other (NON NEXO) boxes if you need to there is a setting for that. 

Sound quality

they sound awesome. I use a PS15 over RS 15 rig driven by a 4x4 (it's about a 16,000$ rig) and it sound amazing. Very smooth midrange highs aren't piercing and the bottom is ridiculously solid! Sometimes we use 4 ps15 2 per side if we are short in S1230. If I had 1230 available I would prefer 2 1230 or a 1230 and a 1210 per side over PS15 for array ability and if I needed more SPL than a PS 15 could provide. In all though the PS 15 is a great box either on a stick or as a wedge

When you think about it, the NX4X4 ends up being a good deal, you get the processing plus the amp for the PS15s and the RS15s! The rig you described is almost exactly what I would be thinking of. You mentioned using two PS15s per side? How well did that work out? This is what I would be thinking of doing to get the coverage I need (Install with a very wide room) also with the RS15s. The config that originally came to mind was two PS15s flown per side with the RS15s flown in the middle, powered and processed by the 4X4.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

When you think about it, the NX4X4 ends up being a good deal, you get the processing plus the amp for the PS15s and the RS15s! The rig you described is almost exactly what I would be thinking of. You mentioned using two PS15s per side? How well did that work out? This is what I would be thinking of doing to get the coverage I need (Install with a very wide room) also with the RS15s. The config that originally came to mind was two PS15s flown per side with the RS15s flown in the middle, powered and processed by the 4X4.
If the room is wide you get better results spacing them out than having them side by side

Taylor Gonzalez

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »

If the room is wide you get better results spacing them out than having them side by side

Could you elaborate a little? (Stage is 50ft wide)

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »

I don't ever tight pack them. I normally do a inner pair and outer pair and delay the outers.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Nicholas J Burke

• Life Is To Short
    • Ipswich Civic Centre
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »

Hey,

Currently we run 6xPS15s (mirrored Units) and 6xPS10s (original Series), we didn't by the amp and processor combo, got it all individually, was cheaper (somehow).

We use Camco amps, and the nexo processor units

We have had them all for around 4 years  and they are solid work horses, they go out on all sorts of gigs mainly for monitors but also end up as FOH for some stuff.

The have been real solid, the only issues we have had are caused by performers, and trust me what they did to them you would be hard pressed to find a box that would withstand the punishment (Kiss Tribute band).

Find the sound out of them brilliant, the 15s cope with all band stuff we do, the only time we need more is for some drummers, and they are generally after more bass.

Cost wise, they are exe, but worth the expense, majority of touring bands think they are great and touring engineers love using them.
Nicholas J Burke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.