ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not Aux Controlled Subs?  (Read 41782 times)

Brian Charbobs

Why not Aux Controlled Subs?
« on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:43 PM »

I would like to hear from you if what ever reason you are Not using Aux Controlled Subs. What is it you are doing that lets you mix the subs with the tops, and not getting too much being sent to the subs, that should not be there. Thank You!!
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Steve Oldridge

Re: Why not Aux Controlled Subs?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

I would like to hear from you if what ever reason you are Not using Aux Controlled Subs. What is it you are doing that lets you mix the subs with the tops, and not getting too much being sent to the subs, that should not be there. Thank You!!
It's called using a DSP.. crossover frequencies/slope set to match your speakers, limiter in place and delay between tops/subs (if warranted).

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

I use it if I can , but sometimes you plug into a house system with no separate sub input, so I tend to high-pass pretty much every microphone as high as possible.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

Using Aux fed subs is any easy way to mess up a properlly set crossover point. I prefer "bus" fed subs myself.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »

Using Aux fed subs is any easy way to mess up a properlly set crossover point. I prefer "bus" fed subs myself.

Using aux fed subs can alter the acoustic crossover point for individual channels. A few months ago I started using group/bus fed subs and I haven't looked back.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:12 PM »

Using aux fed subs can alter the acoustic crossover point for individual channels. A few months ago I started using group/bus fed subs and I haven't looked back.

I've never used a group fed sub setup.  Do you set the group output level equal to the LR output level?  If not, wouldn't the acoustic crossover point also be affected?

When running subs from a dedicated bus, my channel levels for that bus are always set at unity or -inf and my output level matches the LR bus.  I believe this should avoid the crossover issues, correct?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:17:48 PM by Corey Scogin »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »

Yes, from my understanding, that's about the same idea. I prefer to use a group or bus where there is typically a single button assignment to unity, and I can set the group output to unity. I use the mono bus on my Soundcraft Si, a fixed mix on LS9, and groups on Digico and Soundcraft Vi.

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »

Same here for the last 7 years.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »

Using aux fed subs can alter the acoustic crossover point for individual channels.

Why is this bad?

Mac

Stephen Gregory

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »

Yes, from my understanding, that's about the same idea. I prefer to use a group or bus where there is typically a single button assignment to unity, and I can set the group output to unity. I use the mono bus on my Soundcraft Si, a fixed mix on LS9, and groups on Digico and Soundcraft Vi.

Sorry for being thick, but I don't get it.  Isn't the point of using Aux/group fed subs so that you can tweak the thump when you need it?  It is messing with the crossover point for the channels feeding the group, but isn't that the objective?

If you just leave a sub group set at unity, what benefit does it give over just routing to LR and letting your crossover do its thing?

If you do mess with the sub bus fader, how is that different to tweaking an aux send?

I send a few channels to the mono out on our MixWiz, and I'm pretty happy with the result.  Yes I can make a very bad sound if I boost the sub too much, but used in moderation I like the ability to easily adjust the sub for the different musical styles we get. What am I missing here?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.