ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powerd sub to go with DSR112  (Read 8409 times)

Alex Sudbrink

Powerd sub to go with DSR112
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »

I currently run a pair of SRX718s with a pair of DSR112s as mains, and I am looking to move to an all powered FOH setup. I know that active speaker top/sub combos of the same brand/series are optimized to work together but I have read the reviews on the DSR118W and I do not think it is the right man for the job as they do not keep up well with the DSR112.  I know it all depends on what my actual needs are.  I typically run rock bands in small to medium clubs.  I am looking at the PRX718XLF and/or the KW181.  My main question that I need help with is the crossover issue.  I have a DRPA+ but if I go with active subs I'd like to leave that out of the equation and use the built in functions.  Like I said, I know that the Yamaha system crossover is optimized for those speakers, but if I introduce a sub of a different brand, which one would cross over the best with a DSR112?  I am open to other suggestions besides the two I listed above.  The DSR112 has a 120Hz (-6dB) 24dB/oct HPF button, but that may or may not need to be engaged based on how the different sub options output their signal.

Thanks in advance

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Powerd sub to go with DSR112
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »

Alex...

I think you'll find that ANY of the subs you mention would better suit your needs if you run 2/side.  The usual formula of 2 TO 1 subs to tops (SPL) is what you should be looking at.  As it is, the specs for the DSR and the PRX are very comparable, at least so close as to be a wash...if you believe the printed info.

I'd stick to Yamaha over Yamaha for the reasons you stated, but just buy twice as many subs.  If you're looking for a single sub/side, then you'll want something with a lot more output than any of the ones you listed. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »

I currently run a pair of SRX718s with a pair of DSR112s as mains, and I am looking to move to an all powered FOH setup. I know that active speaker top/sub combos of the same brand/series are optimized to work together but I have read the reviews on the DSR118W and I do not think it is the right man for the job as they do not keep up well with the DSR112.  I know it all depends on what my actual needs are.  I typically run rock bands in small to medium clubs.  I am looking at the PRX718XLF and/or the KW181.  My main question that I need help with is the crossover issue.  I have a DRPA+ but if I go with active subs I'd like to leave that out of the equation and use the built in functions.  Like I said, I know that the Yamaha system crossover is optimized for those speakers, but if I introduce a sub of a different brand, which one would cross over the best with a DSR112?  I am open to other suggestions besides the two I listed above.  The DSR112 has a 120Hz (-6dB) 24dB/oct HPF button, but that may or may not need to be engaged based on how the different sub options output their signal.

Thanks in advance

I agree that 2 per side will probably make you happy. I've not read as good reviews on the Yamaha sub. FWIW, there is one guy on this forum that uses his DSR12's over the 618xlf's with great results.
I tested my DSR12's over my 618 xlf's just using the internal xover and it was fine. I prefer the sound of the JBL 615's for mains though, so I'm using the DSR's for monitors.
I've run a QSC pa with the mentioned QSC 18" cab's - thought they sounded pretty good and were as loud as the JBL's. One word of caution, the new 700 series JBL's have fans on the back that are very noisy.
There's also the Yorkville LS800 option (heavier, louder & boomier).

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »

Thanks in advance
I run a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's in my band and have for a couple of years now.

I had the same issue.  The DSR112's are a great 12" top, but the DSR118's would need 2 per side to keep up.

The SPL of the PRX618S-XLF as well as the quality of the sound are about the same as the SRX718 (when properly amplified and eq'd) to my ear.  I haven't heard the PRX718XLF, but those who have put them pretty even with the last generation (despite the 50% greater amp watts now advertised).

The internal cross-over in the XLF's is at 90Hz.  This works out particularly well with the DSR112's IME since the DSR112's have one of the better mid low frequency responses of all the 12" powered tops and are very punchy when you give them the additional frequencies between 90 and 120Hz.

I run my DSR112's in full range over the subs, and just use the high pass output from the XLF's to feed them.

It is a great combination of speakers despite the tops and the subs being from different manufacturers.

I sold my DRPA when I went active and haven't looked back ;)

Alex Sudbrink

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »

Thank you all for the advice.  I would like to keep it to 2 subs for the time being rather than going to 4 just to keep up with my tops and make more work for myself in hauling 2 extra cabinets. 

Scott, you seem satisfied with your PRX618S-XLF's and with the release of the 700's the 600 series can probably be had for a pretty good price.  That might be worth a look.  I can always go to 2 per side with those later on, but still run decent on 2 for now.

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

Thank you all for the advice.  I would like to keep it to 2 subs for the time being rather than going to 4 just to keep up with my tops and make more work for myself in hauling 2 extra cabinets. 

Scott, you seem satisfied with your PRX618S-XLF's and with the release of the 700's the 600 series can probably be had for a pretty good price.  That might be worth a look.  I can always go to 2 per side with those later on, but still run decent on 2 for now.

Yes - I just purchased (2) new 618-xlf's from GC for $900 each! The only caution I have is if you live in a hot climate, they could shut down if pushed too hard in the heat.

Chris Lave

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:14 PM »

I use the EAW LA118 for subs with my DSR112s.  Though the LA118 is not powered, it was optimized to work with EAW LA series. Notably the LA212 which has a two inch compression (CD) driver, which is the same size CD in the DSR 112.  Mind you, I have to use a separate DSP (EAW UX) and amp (Lab Gruppen or Powersoft), but I have total control of the small rig. I felt many of the $1,000 or less powered subs didn't match the performance of my "old school"  rig due to the smaller amplifiers. Also, I use this setup with the EAWLA212 and the RCFNX12sma.  I had a tophat installed in my LA118s for subwoofer to satellite poles as well.  I am switching to the Lab Gruppen IPD 2400, so I'll no longer need the UX processor since the IPD has built in DSP. 

Scott Bolt

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »

The XLF's match up pretty nicely with the DSR112's.  I like a good thump in the mix that pops you in the chest, so if anything, I like my mix sub heavy.  In this capacity, I find that when working the system hard (rooms up to around 300 people) the XLF's start tickling the limit lights about the same time as the DSR's do.  I run the sensitivity of the tops at around 10:00 and the subs at around 2:00.

If you wanted to play outside, you might want 1 DSR over 2 XLF's per side.

These speakers sound very good together.

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »

Yorkville 801p you wont need any other..

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »

Yorkville 801p you wont need any other..
I'll definitely give it the award in the SPL category.

It is 141lbs though IIRC.  I also don't think it is quite as musical a sub as the XLF .... but then outside.... maybe that wouldn't matter as much anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.