ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Benefit shows  (Read 20737 times)

Mike Sullivan

Benefit shows
« on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:09 PM »

How do you all approach a request for sound for a benefit show?  Do you offer them a deal, do you ask for price with some of it going back to the benefit, etc.  Just looking at tips for when you're asked, especially when they ask you to do it for free...
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Benefit shows
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »

How do you all approach a request for sound for a benefit show?  Do you offer them a deal, do you ask for price with some of it going back to the benefit, etc.  Just looking at tips for when you're asked, especially when they ask you to do it for free...

No freebies.  It's not fair to your other customers.  And it can cause some problems at tax time.

Charge everyone the same rate for the same service.  This is for your business.  What you do as a person independent from your business is up to you.  Make no promises on rebates, discounts, etc.

Do not be a well-meaning scab.  Do not fall for sob stories and "good causes".  Treat all your clients fairly and equally... if you expect to keep them.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Branko Pucekovic

• ja sam peder.
    • akaj
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:44 PM »

No freebies.  It's not fair to your other customers.  And it can cause some problems at tax time.

Charge everyone the same rate for the same service.  This is for your business.  What you do as a person independent from your business is up to you.  Make no promises on rebates, discounts, etc.

Do not be a well-meaning scab.  Do not fall for sob stories and "good causes".  Treat all your clients fairly and equally... if you expect to keep them.

+1

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »

"We'll do benefits for free when someone starts holding benefit events for US."

"Discount for your charity event?  Sure, we'll match the discount the electric company gives you."

That may sound harsh, but one of the things I've learned over the years is that service businesses should think long & hard about giving away their source of revenue.  Habitat for Humanity is one of the NFPs I support.  Now what benefits them more, a "free" $200 speaker on stick rig for a ribbon cutting or me and my friends spending a weekend helping on a build?  Hint:  $200 doesn't build a house...

The major "national" charities like the American Cancer Society, the Susan G. Komen race... those are actually BIG BUSINESSES.  Not to diminish the needs of those whom they help, but they will continue to do their work whether or not they get a 50% discount or no discount at all.

Do not be suckered by emotional pleas.  Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE has some kind of wretched image of dying kids, wasting adults, injured animals, old growth forests... but remember that at every turn you are being manipulated to do something you might not otherwise do:  support a charity you have no direct interest in supporting.

Here's the test:  how much money would you donate to whatever charity is soliciting your services?  None? $100?  $1000?  Bid the gig at regular price.  If you are so inclined, send them a donation.

Also this comes up about once a year or so; there are probably a dozen threads about charity events.  I suggest a search of the forums.

ps.  For all the reasons Dick Rees mentions, too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:09:27 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

I did a couple of "benefit" shows back when I was in the rental business.

The only thing i got out of it was a call next year wanting more gear for the same price-free.

I agree with the others.

Now if  EVERYBODY-and that means EVERYBODY-including the people for the organization are doing it for free (ie nobody getting a salary etc) is doing for free (porta potties-artists etc) it "might" be a consideration.

Why should others get paid and not you?  What makes them better than you?

The sound guys are usually among the first to get there and the last to leave-and this does not count loading/unloading the trucks at the shop.

It IS a valued service and the quality of which is critical to the success (in most cases).
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »

Man, you three are HARD cases.  However, Dick makes very salient points, Tim and Ivan supporting and adding even more logic into the equation.

I've always been a sucker for those "puppy dog eyes", which means really, I'm just a plain old all day sucker.

Thanks guys.  Gotta get my mind right.

frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »

Man, you three are HARD cases.  However, Dick makes very salient points, Tim and Ivan supporting and adding even more logic into the equation.

I've always been a sucker for those "puppy dog eyes", which means really, I'm just a plain old all day sucker.

frank

Frank, there are lots of worthy causes out there.  As a manager my job is to make money for my employer.  If he wants to pay his crew and not bill the charity client that's his business... but then it comes back to "do I support this charity enough to send them cash money?"  If the answer is no, then they probably will get a full price bid.

There are other factors, too, like how any possible tax deduction is taken.  It's very difficult to deduct donations of in-kind services.  A car dealer who donates a vehicle for a raffle, or businesses that donate goods for auctions, have documentation as to the value of the GOODS.  The IRS doesn't like self-appraised values of "service" simply because too many folks have lied about value (and it's difficult to document what the worth really is).  If you want to support a charity and provide the service at no charge, invoice the charity for whatever amount you agree to, have them pay you, and then cut a separate cheque for that amount as your donation.  Your accountant will appreciate this...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »

frank
Think of it this way.  Lets say the gig is on Saturday.

So you do it for "free".  So are you paying your help?  What about the gas and truck expenses?  The truck gets wear and tear (along with the gear) even if the gas is paid for.

But it costs even more.  Because your system and you are tied up-you cannot take another paying gig.

So you are losing money is direct costs just doing the gig-and losing money because the gear is out on a paying gig.

Just something to consider.

Yes I have done my fair share of "freebees" and some of them were supposed to be paying gigs-I just got stiffed on them :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:32:46 PM »

Frank, there are lots of worthy causes out there.
 If you want to support a charity and provide the service at no charge, invoice the charity for whatever amount you agree to, have them pay you, and then cut a separate cheque for that amount as your donation.  Your accountant will appreciate this...
Yup, been down that road once or twice.. and I'm a weekend warrior. I've done work for charities, but they pay for it, much like they pay for other stuff at these events. Various bands I've been in have also been paid.. it's a job. It doesn't matter that it's a charity.. bu there are those who contact you hoping to "melt your heart", and unfortunately there are many who will take those kinds of gigs, but I learnt my lessons on these types of gigs long ago. Sorry.. but no pay, no play.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

I do occasional freebies for ACS as cancer has had its toll on several friends and family members. It's personal to me so I don't mind. However, I don't bring any more equipment than what I can handle myself. Unlike some other opinions here, I do believe this has been a benefit to my business.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.