ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Cord Options  (Read 6052 times)

John Roll

Power Cord Options
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

Awhile ago, I made some looms for my powered speaker stacks which I constructed out of 14/3,300v, SOOJW cable and the male and female ends.(3 per side;one for the tops and two for the subs) One of the looms has at least one of the female cord ends which loses connection during the show, probable due to vibration of the sub. I'm thinking that the quick fix is to just replace all the ends on the speaker side (IEC60320). I was also thinking that I could give the loose one(s) a wrap in electrical tape. They aren't broken or a shock hazard.I was wondering what the best place was to get the ends orif there is a molded (custom solution) to the looms. The reason I made these in the first place was because the provided cables were too short and too stiff.

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: Power Cord Options
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:40:33 PM »

there is a molded (custom solution) to the looms

If the sub cabinet end is an IEC female, you could replace both ends with locking IEC cables.  If you're going to that trouble, might as well replace both ends with Powercons.

John Roll

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

The subs are QSC which came with cables with locking ends. The tops are JBL and DID NOT come with locking power cords. I think replacing the IEC connectors with Powercons will void the warranty. I do like the idea though.

John

If the sub cabinet end is an IEC female, you could replace both ends with locking IEC cables.  If you're going to that trouble, might as well replace both ends with Powercons.
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

The subs are QSC which came with cables with locking ends. The tops are JBL and DID NOT come with locking power cords. I think replacing the IEC connectors with Powercons will void the warranty. I do like the idea though.

John

Contact JBL and tell them about the problem.  Let them offer a solution.  IF they say "sorry, we can't help" then ask if changing IEC to PowerCon will void your warranty... which it probably will.

FWIW, changing to locking IECs requires a new power inlet to mate with the locking cord.  Changing that will likely void your warranty as well.

I've seen all kinds of things (and used a few of them) done:  electrical tape to build up the IEC female, toothpicks as wedges, velcro, nylon screws...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roll

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »

Tim,
The QSC subs have inlets which accept the locking ends. The reason I made my own non-locking cables was due to length and flexibility. The ones from QSC were too short and inflexible (hard to coil). I shoot an email to both of them and see if they have an opinion. Thanks.

John

Contact JBL and tell them about the problem.  Let them offer a solution.  IF they say "sorry, we can't help" then ask if changing IEC to PowerCon will void your warranty... which it probably will.

FWIW, changing to locking IECs requires a new power inlet to mate with the locking cord.  Changing that will likely void your warranty as well.

I've seen all kinds of things (and used a few of them) done:  electrical tape to build up the IEC female, toothpicks as wedges, velcro, nylon screws...
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Travis_Valois

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSzO5kTIMU

-Tim T

I'll have to keep that trick in mind.  ;D

Unfortunately, the PRX635 tops John has (I assume these are the tops he is referring to from previous posts on here) don't have mounting screws for the IEC inlets.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSzO5kTIMU

-Tim T
That's a fantastic idea.  I'm going to use that for our racks...
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bradford "BJ" James

Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

John Roll

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

It is a neat solution, however if it provided enough "locking" without the tie wrap it would be a solution to my problem. As Travis said the 635s do not have the mounting screws. I also checked with QSC about the Powercon option, and it WOULD void the warranty. I still have not heard back from JBL yet, but I have a feeling the answer will be the same.

very clever.
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.