ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Delaying Snare Top/Bot  (Read 8646 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Delaying Snare Top/Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »

How was the signal delayed "to" something? I don't even understand exactly what you did. Delayed in reference to what listener?

One snare drum mic was delayed relative to the other snare drum mic.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:45 PM »

Delayed in reference to what listener?

Obama...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

How was the signal delayed "to" something? I don't even understand exactly what you did. Delayed in reference to what listener?

When pointing two mics at the top and bottom sides of the same drum there are more opportunities for smearing waveforms than cleaning anything up.

In that case there are actually two sound sources. The Batter head is the original source, and the resonant head a secondary source.

There may be some merit in theory to time aligning the top and bottom mic (and polarity) so they are coherent and reinforce, but you can only make it right for the lower fundamental drum resonance where both heads vibrate together, or right for the upper overtones local to the batter head, but not both, so one or the other will not sum constructively.   

Perhaps some studio fun to preferentially favor one resonance series over the others, but not an accurate representation of the drum's sound IMO.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Aaron D Mohler

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »

Have any of you ever used the Waves In Phase Live plugin? I've found this the best way to align mics for phase coherency in both my studio and in live use. It's a gem and super easy/intuitive to use.

I've also enjoyed using pink noise routed to an input channel, placing a gate before the noise generator, and keying the gate to the snare mic. This way the gate opens up and allows the pink noise to come through playback every time the snare hits. If you're looking for the snare "rattle" sound this is one of the coolest ways to get it to give that sound without having to worry about any phase issues. You can also change the attack/release times of the "rattle" with the gate. Just send the channel to a verb with little/no pre-delay to make it sit back in the mix a little easier.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »

You will get a better result if you reverse the phase of one microphone.

Polarity :)

I tend to use 2 mics with the polarity reversed on the bottom mic myself. Mainly to get more snare snap when needed. If the drum has plenty of "body" from the top mic but no enough snap, I'll high pass the bottom mic relatively high. Depending on the drummer, snare drum, and tuning, I may not need the bottom mic at all. But it great to have there when you need to get more snap of the snares. It's a drag to not have it when the snare is all "body" with no sizzle with top only micing. Generally speaking, I get the best snare sound with a properly tuned snare drum and someone who knows how to hit it properly more than any other factor (mic model, placement, 1 vs. 2 mics, etc).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:04:51 PM by Greg Cameron »
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »

Greg's answer is the most rational one for live sound: Bottom mic acts as a safety.

A big assumption here is that the drummer & mates (who have heard & worked with the sound and tuning and have made the artistic decision that it is appropriate) appreciate efforts to work it.

Tweaking it up may not be what they have in mind.

Art Williams

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »

One snare drum mic was delayed relative to the other snare drum mic.
But if you have 2 mics pointing toward each other delaying would not time align it would just move the mics away from each other unless you were phase aligning... No?
Or did I miss something in the experiment , delaying snare mic to overhead or something?

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:25:07 AM »

But if you have 2 mics pointing toward each other delaying would not time align it would just move the mics away from each other unless you were phase aligning... No?
Or did I miss something in the experiment , delaying snare mic to overhead or something?

The top mic is closer to the top head where the sound originates. You would delay it a millisecond or so to match arrival time at the bottom mic. Except it's never that simple, especially since the sound arriving at the bottom mic is drastically altered by the time it gets there.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

I'll just say that folk have been getting great snare sounds for years without any fancy bottom mic delay tricks for decades. I wouldn't worry about it.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.