ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DB Technologies VS Aero 8A  (Read 22038 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: DB Technologies VS Aero 8A
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:14 PM »

You need to get the array over the heads of your audience, otherwise people absorb the HF.  Running the array at 0° box angle also creates interaction issues that cause fidelity problems (comb filtering).  As Tim said above, you need to fly the array and use the calculator to set the system up for your room to get anywhere close to the best possible fidelity.

That, and you need to set the EQ preset switch on the back of the speakers to be consistent with the splay angles between units.  And for ground stacking, all bets are off.  This is exactly why I don't recommend "dash arrays" especially ground stacked.  I do both, BTW, but how I achieve the results I do is work done for hire and not discloseable.

That said, I highly encourage Mauricio to experiment and to really take the time to learn and work with the newest version of DVA Composer prediction software.  That's mostly what I did, it just took some time both in the shop and listening at gigs.  I just can't say what I ended up doing.

Also, in the near field a speaker like the SRX will always sound better.  Nature of the "line" beast.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mauricio Velez

• MV Productions Atlanta
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:57 AM »

After 2 months of trying to like the T4's, I'm absolutely disappointed with DB technologies. I know I am not using the box 100% right by ground stacking them, but the box is weak! With 3 per side at a cost of over $10,000 without subs, you can barely cover 200 people a total length of 15 meters, when using 2 SRX 725 will blow their heads off. How can flying them make for more SPL??  Plus the bass runs out because the box doesn't help at all. Just to clarify- people were not blocking the boxes, plenty of space and still super soft. I love my K12s, I love my Yamahas club series, in its' time I loved my Mackies, but not these speakers. Are my ears lying?
Mauricio Velez
https://www.facebook.com/mvproductionsatlanta/
X32 / X32 Rack / Db Technoligies T4 , T12, S30 / QSC K12, Yamaha SM 115V, QSC RMX 850, 2450

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »

After 2 months of trying to like the T4's, I'm absolutely disappointed with DB technologies. I know I am not using the box 100% right by ground stacking them, but the box is weak! With 3 per side at a cost of over $10,000 without subs, you can barely cover 200 people a total length of 15 meters, when using 2 SRX 725 will blow their heads off. How can flying them make for more SPL??  Plus the bass runs out because the box doesn't help at all. Just to clarify- people were not blocking the boxes, plenty of space and still super soft. I love my K12s, I love my Yamahas club series, in its' time I loved my Mackies, but not these speakers. Are my ears lying?

Faced with the choice of DAS Aero 8a, RCF and DB Technologies, we ended up going with the Aero 8. It just had better presence (once the "Spanish" EQ was tamed)

So far, it goes plenty loud enough for the applications we got it for:

playback events up to 2500 people
rock and dance events up to 1000 people
theatre up to 3000 people

So far we have used it ground stacked in a dash array, as well as 2 x tops on a pole of 1 x sub, single boxes as fills and of course flown in large hangs.

The secret has been to use a "Front End" system processor to align the system and tune it for each configuration - single, pairs and threes of boxes require quite a lot of low mid EQ applied as well as altering the cutoff filter of the subs to go with them. I would personally like more access to the dsp in the boxes and a flatter "out of the box" tuning.

Our stock is:
24 x Aero 8a
6 x LX212 (flying sub)
4 x LX215
4 x LX218
2 x I beams which allow the LX212 to be flown behind the Aero 8s;

We are looking to expand by adding a further 2 x LX215 and LX218 to the system in the near future.

A firm an hours drive away has 8 more Aero 8s and 24 Aero 12s, so cross rental is possible.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Peter Morris

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »

I think you must be doing something wrong.  From the pictured you posted it looks like you are not using dB Technologies subs (?), if that’s the case how do you time / phase align them to the T4s.

This could be why you are saying “Plus the bass runs out because the box doesn't help at all” perhaps you have some cancelation at the crossover point.

You also said “The T4 in any EQ setting sound dull in comparison to the SRX” … I found the T4’s if anything bright. I also found the T4’s threw well and were quite loud.  In comparison to a point source boxes they “will not take your head off” up close, but setup correctly (and you really need 4 or more a side) the SPL will be much more even over the venue.

If you want serious performance however, you really need the T12’s and or T8’s.

Peter Morris

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 11:23:21 AM »

Faced with the choice of DAS Aero 8a, RCF and DB Technologies, we ended up going with the Aero 8. It just had better presence (once the "Spanish" EQ was tamed)

So far, it goes plenty loud enough for the applications we got it for:

playback events up to 2500 people
rock and dance events up to 1000 people
theatre up to 3000 people

So far we have used it ground stacked in a dash array, as well as 2 x tops on a pole of 1 x sub, single boxes as fills and of course flown in large hangs.

The secret has been to use a "Front End" system processor to align the system and tune it for each configuration - single, pairs and threes of boxes require quite a lot of low mid EQ applied as well as altering the cutoff filter of the subs to go with them. I would personally like more access to the dsp in the boxes and a flatter "out of the box" tuning.

Our stock is:
24 x Aero 8a
6 x LX212 (flying sub)
4 x LX215
4 x LX218
2 x I beams which allow the LX212 to be flown behind the Aero 8s;

We are looking to expand by adding a further 2 x LX215 and LX218 to the system in the near future.

A firm an hours drive away has 8 more Aero 8s and 24 Aero 12s, so cross rental is possible.

Hi Simon,

Sounds like a nice rig  :) .... BTW which RCF and db Technologies boxes did you compare it to?  TTL 31a / TTL 33a, DVA T8 / T12 rig etc.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 09:47:03 PM »

Hi Simon,

Sounds like a nice rig  :) .... BTW which RCF and db Technologies boxes did you compare it to?  TTL 31a / TTL 33a, DVA T8 / T12 rig etc.

We considered pretty much every compact "proper" line array easily available in the UK including FBT etc.

We got offered an incredible price on the DAS - so good that even if it wasn't what we were looking for we would still take it. As it happens, we are extremely impressed.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Mauricio Velez

• MV Productions Atlanta
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

I have already used my 6 T4's with the 2 S30 subs 4 different times and I am already in love with them.  The big mistake I was doing was that I was not using a crossover and I was sending full signal to the T4's plus I suspect that the T4's and the SRX728s where not playing well together (I just assume).

The subs are fantastic, very deep, punchy and easy to handle, the have something call "In rush current" that when you plug them they immediately fill the capacitors and if you are plugged in a weak circuit they will trip it right there and not in the peak of the gig with the dance floor full, great for me that I do not carry a distro.  Also not carrying amps or speakers cables makes the setup faster, lighter and cleaner. Last week we try to bring the LEDs to RED and I was hitting 117 DBs at 15 meters before we have to lower the volume in an indoor party and my DJ who I always have to demand to lower the volume was asking me if we can trim the bass a little.  My next purchase as soon as I sell my SRX system is 2 more T4's and then another 2 more S30. 
Mauricio Velez
https://www.facebook.com/mvproductionsatlanta/
X32 / X32 Rack / Db Technoligies T4 , T12, S30 / QSC K12, Yamaha SM 115V, QSC RMX 850, 2450

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:32 AM »

Pretty much the general rule with " line array " speakers is that you must have at a minimum, four boxes to even acquire line array benefits, The level of sonic control is directly proportionate to it's length.  From my experience, 4 boxes won't cut it; ever....... I like at least 6 per side. By this point in time you start to reach a level of control that is on line with what is needed to acquire the desired and expected results. If I get spec'd for 4 boxes per side I cringe and certainly lean hard for more. Having worked with Meyer, D&B, JBL and some others, It seems that proper deployment is the absolute core to getting expected results.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jens Droessler

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

the have something call "In rush current" that when you plug them they immediately fill the capacitors and if you are plugged in a weak circuit they will trip it right there and not in the peak of the gig with the dance floor full, great for me that I do not carry a distro. 
I think you missunderstood that part. A high inrush means the amp draws a lot of current when it is switched on. This has nothing to do with how the speaker behaves while the show is playing. It still could trip your breakers. Actually it is the opposite of what you want. Good products have a inrush current LIMITER which will stop the amp from drawing too much current on power up, so the breaker won't trip. Better products have this limiter still working while the music plays, so no tripping when the amp is driven hard. Cheap or very old products have none of that and will depending on some factors sometimes or almost always trip the breaker on power up.
Don't get me wrong here, what follows is not meant to offend you: Line Arrays or "not quite Line Arrays" like the T4 are indeed made to be handled by people knowing exactly what they do, like knowing how to use the curving and output prediction software or why you need a certain length of array to get the benefits of why you wanted a Line Array in the first place. Again, not to offend you, but the fact that you made some big mistakes while using them like running them fullrange over the subs or not aligning them in the time domain shows you have some things to learn about using a LA or PA gear in general. I somehow even fear you ran your 725s over the 728s in fullrange, too.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

Send what you need to the tops either via crossover or via L/R with HPF engaged...send everything else to the subs via a separate EQ'd feed, will be much cleaner sounding that looping and sending full L/R to subs and top boxes. The T4's will play much nicer if you do you filtering around 90hz.
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.