ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorized Faders - Jumping off track?  (Read 37709 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Motorized Faders - Jumping off track?
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:13:34 PM »

Hey guys,
I know I saw something like this quite sometime ago regarding motorized faders that wouldn't move because they jumped off track, or the belt that moves the fader "de-railed" itself and no longer moves the fader.
Specifically this happened on a X32 of mine and it's not under warranty. I'm guessing it couldn't be that difficult to remove the side caps, remove a few screws and attempt to repair it myself by placing the belt back on track.. If any of you have experience in performing this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Motorized Faders - Jumping off track?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »

Hey guys,
I know I saw something like this quite sometime ago regarding motorized faders that wouldn't move because they jumped off track, or the belt that moves the fader "de-railed" itself and no longer moves the fader.
Specifically this happened on a X32 of mine and it's not under warranty. I'm guessing it couldn't be that difficult to remove the side caps, remove a few screws and attempt to repair it myself by placing the belt back on track.. If any of you have experience in performing this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Sam-

Call the Behringer "care" facility in Nevada and see if you can order a couple of faders and have a local tech replace the defective one.

I think someone fixed a jumped belt (or Joe from Berry discussed it) over on Soundforums dot net.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »

I have seen a few posts around about jumped belts. It should be straightforward to put it back on, but if you are taking it apart you might as well look into replacing the belt with a new one.

Contact Behringer service about availability or repair parts. Since they make their own motor-faders, even replacing a whole fader should not break the bank, but hopefully they will give you good support. If not the resale price for used X32 will reflect uncertainty about this aspect, when they start dropping belts. Being out of warranty is a minor detail, if the new Behringer is serious they will support customers with inexpensive repair parts. 

Since they designed their own motor-fader. Reliability of this was one of the major unknowns about this mixer.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »

Hi Sam-

Call the Behringer "care" facility in Nevada and see if you can order a couple of faders and have a local tech replace the defective one.

I think someone fixed a jumped belt (or Joe from Berry discussed it) over on Soundforums dot net.

It probably doesn't need replacement, a large number of early units (including ours, we received one of the first units shipped to Canada) have an issue with faders coming off the belt, in our case someone had their hand on DCA 6 fader and changed the fader bank causing the belt to fall off.

Our repair tech was able to fix the fader, as well as all the faders on the board per Behringer's instructions. We were covered under warranty, I'd call someone at Music Group and see if they would help you it since it is an acknowledged issue with early units.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

It probably doesn't need replacement, a large number of early units (including ours, we received one of the first units shipped to Canada) have an issue with faders coming off the belt, in our case someone had their hand on DCA 6 fader and changed the fader bank causing the belt to fall off.

Our repair tech was able to fix the fader, as well as all the faders on the board per Behringer's instructions. We were covered under warranty, I'd call someone at Music Group and see if they would help you it since it is an acknowledged issue with early units.

Thanks for the responses gentleman. Looking at it, it doesn't seem all that complicated especially with the way it's designed. I'll try giving Music Group a call and see if they can forward me the repair instructions.

I appreciate all the help!
-Sam

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »

in our case someone had their hand on DCA 6 fader and changed the fader bank causing the belt to fall off.

The first time I pressed send on faders on an X32, I had my other hand in the way and a fader hit my hand.  It didn't cause any damage but made me wonder if there is any sort of collision detection, and if so, how does it recover?

Any ideas?

Steve.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »

The first time I pressed send on faders on an X32, I had my other hand in the way and a fader hit my hand.  It didn't cause any damage but made me wonder if there is any sort of collision detection, and if so, how does it recover?

Any ideas?

Steve.

Steve,
I've had my hand in the way on several occasions (fat fingers I guess) lol, and I'm yet to have the belt jump off the gear because of that. Mine happened one day in the middle of a sound check and I'm certain it must have already been loose. From what I understand there are 2 screws above and below the small pulley/gear that controls the belt, lossen those up, move the pulley/gear up a bit to tighten the slack on the belt once it's placed on the track, tighten them up and should be back to normal.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:28:32 PM »

Any ideas?

Steve.

More expensive consoles have touch sensitive faders, in particular the SC48 won't move a fader if you have your hand on it, then when you remove your hand the fader will snap to position.

I'm not aware of any budget digital consoles with this feature.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:46 PM »

More expensive consoles have touch sensitive faders, in particular the SC48 won't move a fader if you have your hand on it, then when you remove your hand the fader will snap to position.

I'm not aware of any budget digital consoles with this feature.

Correct, X32 and several others are NOT touch sensitive. Controlled by pulley/gear and belt.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »

Correct, X32 and several others are NOT touch sensitive. Controlled by pulley/gear and belt.

Well, contacted the Music Group and unfortunately the rep I got on the phone said they dont have any pdf or instruction sheets on how to repair of the faders... :O/
Looks like I'm going in blind! :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.