ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorized Faders - Jumping off track?  (Read 37724 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Motorized Faders - Jumping off track?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 12:24:03 PM »

Having the belt where it somewhat easily comes off of the gear may be, by design, to prevent worse damage if the fader "interrupted" while moving. Better that the belt comes off rather than breaking or striping out.
Alternately you could probably just let the motor stall if movement is blocked. Dropping the belt, is a failure to the end user. Being easy to fix is good, but it isn't that easy to fix.

Of course I am uncomfortable second guessing the design from photo's and such distance.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: Motorized Faders Jumping Off Track
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:34 PM »

Quote from: John Roberts {JR}
Being easy to fix is good, but it isn't that easy to fix.

Especially in the field, at showtime.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »

Alternately you could probably just let the motor stall if movement is blocked. Dropping the belt, is a failure to the end user. Being easy to fix is good, but it isn't that easy to fix.

Of course I am uncomfortable second guessing the design from photo's and such distance.

JR

If my recollection of my college motor theory is correct, you could monitor the current being drawn by the motor and treat an unexpected rise in current as the fader being blocked. But again, that might not line up with the price point.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »

If my recollection of my college motor theory is correct, you could monitor the current being drawn by the motor and treat an unexpected rise in current as the fader being blocked. But again, that might not line up with the price point.

Indeed, we seem to forget how much of a breakthrough this product is for this feature content at this price point. Most other console companies were unwilling to attempt rolling their own motorized fader (IMO not trivial). If this is the extent of their problems they did well.

They can add more bells and whistles to motor faders in more expensive SKUs.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »

You can find the pdf here. A good look at just how cheaply made the faders are.

http://www.eastcoastpc.plus.com/Behringer_X32_fader.pdf
I've eyeballed these critters fairly close and find the standard of manufacture no better or worse than the Taiwan Alpha motor faders used the SI Expression and similar Soundcraft models. You have to spend a LOT more money to move to the next level (K series, P&G etc). One thing I do notice is that the ballistics of the X32 fader movement is a bit more brutal than the Soundcraft, but that's just software.
M

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »

I've eyeballed these critters fairly close and find the standard of manufacture no better or worse than the Taiwan Alpha motor faders used the SI Expression and similar Soundcraft models. You have to spend a LOT more money to move to the next level (K series, P&G etc). One thing I do notice is that the ballistics of the X32 fader movement is a bit more brutal than the Soundcraft, but that's just software.
M
They definitely "snap to attention" pretty rapidly when you switch layers. :)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »

M

So the X32 would be better for using the motorized faders to kick paper footballs into the crowd during moments of boredom?
Jay Barracato

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 03:30:36 PM »

So the X32 would be better for using the motorized faders to kick paper footballs into the crowd during moments of boredom?
You really shouldn't give me ideas like that...  ;D  One of the churches I help at has an x32 in one of those(horrible) loft sound booths 15+ feet above the main floor......  ::) Lets see... Fader 8 all the way up on layer A and all the way down on layer B; switch to layer B, place football, and switch to layer A. Or maybe 16 footballs all at once. :)

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

Dammit - missed opportunity!. Had an Expression in the workshop last week for repair, and own an X32 - could have done a ping pong ball launch test but it just didn't occur to me at the time.
M

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »

It's time like this that I wish this forum had a like button.   8)
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.