ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CalJam74  (Read 1610 times)

Jeff Harrell

CalJam74
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:51 pm »

heres a nice foto from californiajamfanclub showing the entire main speaker setup.

on the bottom are the large bass horns loaded with 3-18" specially made cerwin-vega drivers, along with some jbl equpiied columns.

next up are the Flag System cabinets.

next 3 levels up are Tycobrahe cabintes loaded with 2-15" jbl 2220a , a jbl 2482 driver & horn , 2-2405 tweeters.

cerwin-vega supplied the speakers for the delay towers.

about 250,000-300,000 people enjoyed the music.

Mike Spencer is credited for this nice foto of the left speaker tower. Thank You Mike !
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:13:40 pm by Jeff Harrell »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: CalJam74
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:48 pm »

Thanks.

I have a photo of the system (minus the horns on the bottom) in the shop bathroom-along with an airplane shot of the crowd.

The delay towers were 1000' back and the crowd went well beyond the delay towers.  I would suspect something in the neighborhood of 3000' back.

I wonder what people actually heard.

I went to a 4th of july concert at the Washington mall back in the early 80s to hear the Beach boys.

I could barely see the stage.  My wife and I sat down eat lunch while the "background" music was playing.  I could tell it was music of some sort-but could not hear or understand anything.  I found out later that while we were sitting there-3 dog nigh and Ringo star had been playing.

Then the beach boys came on.  The only way I could tell it was them was that a local radio station was broadcasting it live-and all the drunks around us started singing to the radios they had.

We got up and left-there was no way I was going to sit int he hot sun and listen to drunks sing Beach Boy songs------------------

I never heard them through the PA. :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:01:29 pm »

next 3 levels up are Tycobrahe cabintes loaded with 2-15" jbl 2220a , a jbl 2482 driver & horn , 2-2405 tweeters.
Cool picture! Vertical array...
The Tycobrahe cabinets used 2402 bullet tweeters, Clair's S4s used 2405 slot tweeters  ;).

The 2482 was on a 2309 (45 x around 55 degree) exponential horn, which originally was designed for use with the 2310 "waffle" acoustic lens.

Very loud box.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:05:41 pm by Art Welter »

Jeff Harrell

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:38:10 am »

heres another foto from Mike Spencer

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 08:32:45 am »

This system was actually put together from a number of the acts that were touring.  Since several of these (including Deep Purple) were Tycobrahe customers, they brought their touring rigs with them for the show-and they basically "piled them up".

I am not sure what size the "typical" Tycobrahe  rig was at the time however-so don't know how many systems were used to make up this PA.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jerry Burns

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:41 am »

This system was actually put together from a number of the acts that were touring.  Since several of these (including Deep Purple) were Tycobrahe customers, they brought their touring rigs with them for the show-and they basically "piled them up".

I am not sure what size the "typical" Tycobrahe  rig was at the time however-so don't know how many systems were used to make up this PA.
Ivan, didn't they have Railroad Flatcar's in back of the stage that they would load with backline and then roll into place with each change over of bands? I don't know why I didn't go to that show probably playing in some Bar some where for $75.00. Ha!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:25 pm »

Ivan, didn't they have Railroad Flatcar's in back of the stage that they would load with backline and then roll into place with each change over of bands? I don't know why I didn't go to that show probably playing in some Bar some where for $75.00. Ha!
OK here is what I remember from reading various articles over the years.

At one of the "Cal jams" (there were several) there were 3 stages on railroad tracks.  I think the nickname was the "Grand Funk Railway".

2 of them would go back and forth for all the acts except one-Emerson lake and Palmer.  They had their own stage-due to the large setup on it.

I could be completely wrong-but this is what I remember.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Harrell

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »

yes they built a little railroad. i have some fotos but i cant find the thumdrive with them right now. heres a clip BOA added to their video of the tracks starting about tome mark 1:34. also i already looked to see if see was wearing bottoms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEgrWw0Xog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 25 queries.