ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips and Tricks to Mixing on a Digico D1 Live?  (Read 15392 times)

Ryan Tolzmann

Tips and Tricks to Mixing on a Digico D1 Live?
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »

Hi there guys,

I'm mixing on a Digico D1 Live in a couple weeks, i've only mixed on a digico once before, and it was an in house console as well, so I didnt have to set it up start to finish.

I know all desks have their short cuts and tricks and niches of pros and cons.  So I'm trying to go into this gig as well prepared as I can be.

Does any one have any tips or tricks to using the Digico desk?
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Tips and Tricks to Mixing on a Digico D1 Live?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

Does any one have any tips or tricks to using the Digico desk?

Have a spare on the dock.  I'm not joking.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »

NO, really.  He's not joking.

The D1 and D5 were not Digico's finest hour from a reliability standpoint.  Their product rep managed to crash the D5 several times in our shop while he was trying to sell it to us.  We bought a Yamaha.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »

NO, really.  He's not joking.

The D1 and D5 were not Digico's finest hour from a reliability standpoint.  Their product rep managed to crash the D5 several times in our shop while he was trying to sell it to us.  We bought a Yamaha.

i've heard this.  unfortunately i dont think i will have that option..  do they crash under heavy workloads? or even under light workloads?

I wont be driving it very hard. its a corporate show.. LAVS, and a L/R send to the galileo..
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »

i've heard this.  unfortunately i dont think i will have that option..  do they crash under heavy workloads? or even under light workloads?

I wont be driving it very hard. its a corporate show.. LAVS, and a L/R send to the galileo..

The one thing it didn't seem to like was too much control input too quickly.  So slamming together a really fast FOH mix on a band where you're moving a lot of things all at once seemed to be a real sore spot.  For a typical corporate gig it might be fine.

unfortunately i never learned any tips or tricks for operating it since my first sighting was pretty much my last.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »

They go down for no apparent reason, without being touched.  We provided stacks and racks for a show last month, international artist with well regarded UK-based FOH guy.  Their D5 locked up while we stood there having coffee.

Also in December I was working as a stage hand... arena show... headline act on Digico D?, they had spare desk ready to go for either Mon or FOH.  We had a Broadway musical through the PAC last fall that carried Digico D7T; they had a trunk of spare parts (kind of like Cadac) but I didn't see a full spare console.

I don't have a user opinion of Digico other than to say it's not 'walk-up' friendly, at least not among US mixerpersons (lack of familiarity).  My experience is like Brian's... one time, so I hesitate to express a generalized opinion of the D series.

I do wonder, though, how many of the reliability problems for ALL brands and models are related to vibration and impact from transportation and handling.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »

Something like a Jaguar.  A sweet ride … when it runs.  ::)

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 06:07:16 PM »

I hear this all the time. I own a tiny little SD11 with a D-rack that has been rock solid for about two years now...
Indoors & out, -40 to +35, sun & shade... not a blip or glitch that wasn't user error. Knock on wood LOL.

Edit: Ok... outdoor giggin @ -25
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:15:28 PM by Jim Turner »
smile & wave...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »

I hear this all the time. I own a tiny little SD11 with a D-rack that has been rock solid for about two years now...
Indoors & out, -40 to +35, sun & shade... not a blip or glitch that wasn't user error. Knock on wood LOL.

Edit: Ok... outdoor giggin @ -25

What applies to the D series does not necessarily apply to the SD series. The D5 was one of the first Digico consoles.

Mac

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:29 AM »

What applies to the D series does not necessarily apply to the SD series. The D5 was one of the first Digico consoles.

Mac

Same same. I have Had the luck of the SD's crashin on me more than a few times. And other random glitches..

None the less, it is not a friendly board to walk up to, in my opinion, and if you can play with an offline editor, even of the sd, it would be of great help. That would be trick no.1. I don't find the board difficult, just tedious.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.