ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH212 Subs - Opinions  (Read 13660 times)

Rufus Crowder

Re: Danley TH212 Subs - Opinions
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 05:55:28 PM »

Rufus...note that Ivan is suggesting you install the subs together, not separated left and right.

Yeah, I got that, however, that may not be doable in this room so we will have to suffer a little:(

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »

Yeah, I got that, however, that may not be doable in this room so we will have to suffer a little:(
With most sound situations-there is what would be "correct" or ideal.

And then there is what you "can do".  That can be anything from physical location of loudspeakers-to price and so forth.

It is all a matter of compromise-and in some cases "less than ideal" is just fine.  It may not be "perfect" but does the job.

You have to do what you have to do-or can do.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:01:45 PM »

With most sound situations-there is what would be "correct" or ideal.

And then there is what you "can do".  That can be anything from physical location of loudspeakers-to price and so forth.

It is all a matter of compromise-and in some cases "less than ideal" is just fine.  It may not be "perfect" but does the job.

You have to do what you have to do-or can do.

Ivan are the 212 and 412 subs smaller versions of the 812?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »

Ivan are the 212 and 412 subs smaller versions of the 812?
They are all tapped horns-so they have that in common.

THe TH412 and TH812 use the same drivers.  The TH212 uses a slightly less powerful woofer (2dB power) because the ones in the 412 and 812 won't fit.

The TH412 has a longer horn path than the 212 and the TH812 has a still longer path.

In all of them the drivers are in a kinda "push pull" configuration.  This is done to be able to get the drivers physically closer together so they have a closer source of origin.

The overall physical layouts are different.  Only the TH212 (of those models) has a selectable physical output location for different uses.locations.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:10 AM »

...The trim height of the ceiling would prohibit flying these which is why the stage height is so low too.  We had to make some concessions during the design phase.  Our mid-high speakers are JBL VRX's that we could only do two in the array due to sight line limitations of the projection screens.

Isn't it a shame that "sound quality" is usually the last thing that gets considered when designing a sound stage?
Member since 2005.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

That's not an uncommon problem. :(
Is there a way you can get by with just one sub even if it's installed off centre?
I did a job in a church with just one sub, installed in a plenum under the stage near one wall.
Worked great!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »

Put the exit opening on the small side (you can move the exit to the large side if needed for different applications) and place the openings together and you will be good to go.
Ivan, I've never used these subs but have always been curious about the difference which side the port is on makes on performance. You know, like in half space (out doors on the ground) standing up vs. laying down.   I know you guys measure everything accurately. I am curious.... Although I am sure the difference is not large or you wouldn't sell it that way, I can't help but think SOMETHING changes...

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »

Ivan, I've never used these subs but have always been curious about the difference which side the port is on makes on performance. You know, like in half space (out doors on the ground) standing up vs. laying down.   I know you guys measure everything accurately. I am curious.... Although I am sure the difference is not large or you wouldn't sell it that way, I can't help but think SOMETHING changes...

Ed Walters
Not Ivan, but from measuring other TH and FLH where there is an option the side with the larger surface area will provide a bit more forward gain, more boundary area.

My guess would be that a pair of TH 212 with the  36 x 36 side forward compared to a pair with the 36 x 15 sides forward would result in an average of around 2-3 dB more on axis level.
Art

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 10:02:17 PM »

Not Ivan, but from measuring other TH and FLH where there is an option the side with the larger surface area will provide a bit more forward gain, more boundary area.

My guess would be that a pair of TH 212 with the  36 x 36 side forward compared to a pair with the 36 x 15 sides forward would result in an average of around 2-3 dB more on axis level.
Art

You are correct. I use two in this fashion in several rooms, and they are obviously louder

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

Art
That is totally correct.  Of course the gain/forward directivity will depend on freq.  The higher freq will have more of both.

Part of the design idea of the TH212 was a dula purpose cabinet in which in on e "mode" it could be put under a short stage and in the other "mode" you could make a block of 4 (with the exits in the middle) and get quite a bit of forward directivity.

This is especially useful in places like gyms and such in which you are trying to keep as much energy as possible out of the ceiling. (assuming the subs were flown in this case)

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.