ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: something interesting for X32 users  (Read 12863 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
something interesting for X32 users
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »

This guy had worked out some software for auto gain functions.
I'm not all that keen on the "soundcheck" feature but am interested in the auto mix for dialogue applications.
http://www.altheide.eu/en
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: something interesting for X32 users
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:20:06 AM »

A method of automatically setting the gain during soundcheck instead of relying on you to adjust it whilst looking at a meter is definitely a possibility.

I'm not sure that I would want it automatically adjusting things mid show though.

However, a warning that something has changed significantly, suggesting you do something about it could be a useful feature.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »

A method of automatically setting the gain during soundcheck instead of relying on you to adjust it whilst looking at a meter is definitely a possibility.

I'm not sure that I would want it automatically adjusting things mid show though.
This is something I have thought about (too much). To keep it only an incremental change from current practice you could lock gains after set-up and dynamically adjust input trim down, and fader up if they consume channel headroom. You could even correct pre fader channel sends for the mid-show input trims.

I have been hinting about results related mixing, where input trims are adjusted on the fly as needed.

If you think about it input trims can be set better by computers than humans, while the mix needs to be done by a human, at least once.
However, a warning that something has changed significantly, suggesting you do something about it could be a useful feature.

Steve.

We are just scraping the surface of taking advantage of the decision making capability inherent in digital control hardware.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »

This would be a live version of normalising which is used for digitally recorded music,  The whole track is looked at and it is scaled to make best use of the dynamic range.

A live version would actually be easier.  Just monitor the signal for a while, perhaps when a channel 'gain trim' switch is pressed and decide the best gain setting for each input.

This could save a bit of time for multiple microphone sources.  You could set it running for all the microphones on a drum kit and get the drummer to play the whole kit.  You could even do the whole band at once.

Still need to EQ individually though!

Steve.

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »

This would be a live version of normalising which is used for digitally recorded music,  The whole track is looked at and it is scaled to make best use of the dynamic range.

A live version would actually be easier.  Just monitor the signal for a while, perhaps when a channel 'gain trim' switch is pressed and decide the best gain setting for each input.

This could save a bit of time for multiple microphone sources.  You could set it running for all the microphones on a drum kit and get the drummer to play the whole kit.  You could even do the whole band at once.

Still need to EQ individually though!

Steve.

Really interesting... and its written by a high school kid.  I think this is just the tip of the iceberg for 3rd party software plugins for this desk. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »

it appears they have the software limited to only a specific IP range my building doesn't use. :(

Was really hoping to try this out and give some feedback. Will have to wait till the software supports more options for networking support.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »

well I e-mailed the developer and he was quick to make an update for me to use the class B ip settings. Seems to be working great now. Hoping to try this out this week in my main room with 16 wireless microphones.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Friedrich Altheide

• X32AutoGain
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:08:12 PM »

Adam Whetham informed me, that there is a thread about my "X32AutoGain" software.

It is great to know what users actually think of the idea of AutoGain and Automixer function.

First it was planed to set the gains during soundcheck only. But now e.g. Continouse-function can be used to leave Behringer X32 alone for a few minutes without the risk of clipping.
The Speaker-function (Automixer) has been included latly for my highschool`s debate program.

I am currently planning to add gain settings to Aux-Ins as well.

I would appreciate any ideas about improving the program, especially Speaker-function (Automixer).

Friedrich

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »

The Speaker-function (Automixer) has been included latly for my highschool`s debate program.

I would appreciate any ideas about improving the program, especially Speaker-function (Automixer).

Friedrich

You should read up on automixing and specifically (Dan) Dugan automixers. This is pretty much the gold-standard preferred by most live sound folks. Although I don't rule out someone coming up with another acceptable way to do automixing or improving on the Dugan.....understanding what he does would probably save you some time...at least at first.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »

Thanks Tom.

While I love the idea of a spirited youth developing a useful hack, there is tender turf to tread making a broadcast-stable app.

Perhaps in some low-profile town hall meeting it is appropriate, but I'm not gonna hang my corpy hat on it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.