ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical Monuments  (Read 26498 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Electrical Monuments
« on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »

Without these brilliant men, we wouldn't be doing what we do.

Here's a cool monument to the trio of Tesla, Hertz and Van de Graaff at http://www.farwestforge.com/Forum/bsgview.php?photo=3835&cat=&by=Tom%20C

If you know of any other cool electrical monuments or mascot pictures, please post them here.

Mike Sokol

Re: Electrical Monuments
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »

Here's a mascot from the 1920's when electricity was being promoted in the USA - Reddy Killowatt. One of my favorites that I remember as a kid reading old textbooks about electricity.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »

Here's a mascot from the 1920's when electricity was being promoted in the USA - Reddy Killowatt. One of my favorites that I remember as a kid reading old textbooks about electricity.
i report with great sadness that Reddy Killowatt is dead. some amped up idiot pulled the wrong handle and dropped all the voltage on Reddy. poor Reddy , RIP

Mike Sokol

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »

What about Pikachu? IIRC he can store electricity in his cheeks and let it loose as big lightning bolts. Don't you wish that YOU could do that?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:41:54 AM »

What about Pikachu? IIRC he can store electricity in his cheeks and let it loose as big lightning bolts. Don't you wish that YOU could do that?

Anyone can do that.

Doing it twice is the hard bit.    :-)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »

Just the one about Tesla which I have already shared: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

And the bit about saving his old laboratory to turn it into a museum: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/tesla_museum_saved

Not really a monument - but a museum is even better!

When I was at school we had a character similar to Reddy Kilowatt called Dead Fred.  He was painted on a board and had a light bulb on his head.  He was carrying a kettle which the teacher could emulate being faulty.  The ground was switchable so it could be shown that if wired correctly and a fault ocurred, the fuse would blow.  If not, the fault current would flow through Fred and Fred would be dead!

Steve.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:15:54 AM by Steve M Smith »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:37:45 AM »

When I was at school we had a character similar to Reddy Kilowatt called Dead Fred.  He was painted on a board and had a light bulb on his head.  He was carrying a kettle which the teacher could emulate being faulty.  The ground was switchable so it could be shown that if wired correctly and a fault ocurred, the fuse would blow.  If not, the fault current would flow through Fred and Fred would be dead!

Here's my version of Dead Fred that I call "Flash". I built him a couple years ago using a $1 action figure and a bulb holder from a Honda Civic. As you see, he has a real photography flash bulb for a head wired between his foot and a hand contacts. I put in a series 10-watt / 100-ohm current limiting resistor in his backpack to limit peak currents when I connect him to a shock hazard. He's standing beside a VW Microbus model with a power cord attached that I use for shock hazard demonstrations. The plate in front of the VW is "grounded" and I can energize the chassis of the VW RV to any AC potential I like from 0 to 150 volts using a B&K AC power supply with an isolated secondary transformer. The isolated secondary allows me to create fault current demonstrations isolated from the building's G-N-E bonding that won't unbalance and trip the GFCI breakers. The only problem with Flash is that he's really BRIGHT. So if you're looking at him when the flash bulb fires, you'll have a big purple blotch in your vision field for a few moments. The antique flash bulbs do cost $1 each, but I get them in lots of 50 on eBay, so it's not too expensive of a demonstration.   
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:47:07 AM by Mike Sokol »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »

I've searched everywhere for a pic of Dead Fred, but all I can find is a desktop pen holder that looks like a body stabbed by a pencil. Can you find and post of picture of the UK Dead Fred? That would be very cool...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

I think he was just a one off, built and named by our physics teacher, rather than a commercially available teaching aid.

Steve.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »

I learned, just last week, that there is a new statue of Nikola Tesla right here in my neighborhood. I don't know who put it up and, so far as I know, it has nothing to do with Tesla Motors, the electric car manufacturer.

A field trip with photo documentation, perhaps including a stop at a nearby bar, is in order.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.