ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: sound guys  (Read 22036 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: sound guys
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »

I am currently the bass drummer for the local bagpipe band. Whether that means I'm a muscian or not is an open question. I have also played violin, guitar, and drums in decades past. Mark C.

"What do you call people who hang out with musicians?"  Drummers.  {rimshot, cymbal crash}

You might get points for playing violin, however, unless you quit that to take up drumming...

In 30+ years of audio, I've only worked with a couple of folks who had no - and I mean zip, nada, zero - music background.  No Jr. High chorus or band, no church music, no 2 chord guitar playing, maybe not even singing in the shower.

One was a volunteer at a church.  The tech team needed someone, and he was their 'blessing.'  Oy.  Not a dismal failure because he was easy to work with and tried really hard, and he wanted to do a good job.  Somehow, though, he was never able to connect his ears to his fingers and had this propensity to push the wrong button or manipulate the correct control in the wrong direction.  I'm not sure how the team eventually utilized his talents but mixing & recording clearly would not be among them.

Another was a guy we hired because his pastor (a childhood friend of my boss) came in and "sold" him.  I've posted in another thread about teaching him to hear and listen, how to explore the sounds instruments make and the relationship players have with their instruments.  And when the discussions turned technical, he'd let me ramble on and on... and when I'd take a breath he'd respond "That's all great.  Now, can you translate that into hillbilly?"  That was frustrating at first, but it made me really work on MY comprehension of a topic.  If you can only explain something one way, you really don't understand it... and it was rewarding to see him grow in his understanding and abilities. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

That was frustrating at first, but it made me really work on MY comprehension of a topic.  If you can only explain something one way, you really don't understand it..

Or put another way, I've read somewhere that to be adequately prepared to teach a class on any topic, your depth on the topic should be at least 7 times what you'll actually have time to present in the class.

We are fortunate to read the posts of many such individuals on this forum.. and then there are those who tell us more than they know in one post..
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

You need a wider circle of friends

In my defence, I do have friends who are not sound guys... some of them aren't even musicians!

Steve.

Mike Tinsley

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »

Curious is there sound guys out there that do not play in a band or played an instrument?

It's common- the bass player owns the pa.
Usually does the booking and provides rehearsal.
More rooted in reality w/o egos. left my last
narcissisticdivaleadvocalist band to make real
money. (Not many jazzfusion bands out there).
Best decision I ever made. well, there's the
Mackie issue...

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »

Or stop running around in circles...

Great minds run in the same circles...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.