ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: sound guys  (Read 22060 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: sound guys
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »

One of the best performers I ever had the pleasure of setting up a system for started as a sound "kid", then becoming a performer.  Check out Harry Manx if you haven't heard him before:

http://harrymanx.com/about/

He also has the best titled CD ever.  "West Eats Meat"
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Sound Guys and/or Musicians
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »

There was a running joke around here a few years ago that most "sound guys" were named Dave and played bass...

There might be something to the bass players turned sound guys.  I got into the racket because my brother and I, along with two friends, formed a band and we figured we needed a PA (this was long before the days of "house" systems).  I was the bass player in that band.  The band was never commercially successful, but we paid for the PA by doing DJ jobs.  My brother actually made enough money at it to pay for a college education.

Other musicians who have worked for me over the years have included several bass players and drummers, a trombonist (insert joke here), and others who I don't think played any instrument.  Guitarists seem to be rather under represented.

At the day job, we don't have anybody who specializes in PA work, but of the six that were/are recording engineers, three are also bass players, one played guitar, and two never had any musical training or experience other than what they learned on the job.

GTD

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »

I did the opposite to most here... did the usual "tech" stuff in HS school.. ran projector, theatre lighting, etc. (there wasn't much in the way of PA back then). Got into sound stuff that way, and mostly with been "married" to a few bands BEFORE (and since) I started playing.  Never done it as a living.. saw to many folks in my early days of "testing the waters" (early 80's) that had a better line of BS and no skills being given good work. Besides, I make a pretty good living with my day job.

Over last 2 yrs, done less and less sound work. Mostly been on the other side of the stage - playing. No longer need a huge investment in gear and keeping up ($$$) with the latest that  technology has provided us. I don't need to advance gigs, sell myself, repair gear (as much), nor show up 3 hours early to set up.

Besides, playing has (unfortunately) paid better, since it's simply not worth my while to haul $25K worth of PA to a gig, spend 8 hours (load in + setup + gig + tear down + load out) for ~$200. I can get about the same for playing. Lot less hassle.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »

I'd like to hear the didgeridoo...as long as it's not didgeridoo-doo. 

How 'bout a duo with didge and skweezbox???

Both of you guys can stop now. You're scaring the crap out of me. However, maybe the three of us could start a band together. We can call it "Squeezy blues and the digeree doos."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »

Moved to sound from guitar/bass because there was no one competent to run sound, not even other sound guys (present company excluded of course)  ;D

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »

Sometimes it can be convenient to be a musician and an engineer.

A few years ago, we were providing sound for a show featuring UK singers Screaming Lord Sutch and Wee Willie Harris (youngsters, do a Google search!).

They were both using the same band who showed up without a guitar player.  I played guitar for them all night (although they never paid me!).

Steve.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 08:12:44 AM »

Bass player here.  I play with 5 or 6 different groups in an average month,  8 or 9 regularly within a year.  I prefer to play drums, but apparently I'm not very good as I don't get asked as often to play drums....  I do sound for others.
Mark McFarlane

David Simpson

Re: Sound Guys and/or Musicians
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

There was a running joke around here a few years ago that most "sound guys" were named Dave and played bass...

That is humorous, as my name is Dave, and I did play bass. I also took the theatre a/v tech guy route.

~Dave

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »

Curious is there sound guys out there that do not play in a band or played an instrument?

Started in teen years as drummer, then switched to bass. As a teen I found I had an interest in electronics, primarily relating to entertainment; TVs, home stereos, record players, guitar/bass amps, etc. In my 20's I started picking up pieces of PA gear, primarily to have something for any band I was in to practice through. In those years we didn't know anything about hiring a sound company and even if we did, we certainly couldn't afford it. By the time I hit 30, I had enough gear to support a "bar band" level gig. The bands I played in were good, but still not quite out of the nightclub gig level, which usually didn't pay well. So, I started doing sound for other bands to pay for my gear. Then I got hooked and pretty much stopped playing bass by my mid 30s.  Then came the " if I buy just these one or two more items, then I'll be set. 20 years later, I'm still buying that "just one more piece".

I still have my bass and bought an electronic drum set to mess around on. I sometimes miss playing in a band, but don't miss the drama that can be associated with being in one. I put together an birthday party for my 40th and 50th, hired a band each time and also played a set with my "crew" (good friends that are also musicians), that was fun.

My full time job:television engr, I picked that up in the Air Force: Television Equipment Repairman

Garry

P.S. through the years I have noticed that a lot of sound guys were/are bassists. Of course I've met a number of "sound guys" that didn't play an instrument, however when they were, it was mainly bass, then drums/keys, rarely guitarist, horns or vocalists.
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

P.S. through the years I have noticed that a lot of sound guys were/are bassists. Of course I've met a number of "sound guys" that didn't play an instrument, however when they were, it was mainly bass, then drums/keys, rarely guitarist, horns or vocalists.

I think part of that is because more bass players understand their role in the *ensemble* and their place in the rhythm section.  Singers and guitarists tend to be too narcissistic and horn players?  They want to play the charts and head back to the bar (or home).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.