ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: sound guys  (Read 22239 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: sound guys
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »

Many people recognize the musician to sound tech path.

I would also like the point out the "tech nerd who ran the projector in elementary school" to sound tech path.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I was the "A/V guy" in elementary school, and also sang with the choir.

I attained enough piano proficiency in my youth to test out of my piano class (like language lab) in college as it was the only instrumental performance requirement for my Performing Arts Education major.  I've sung in public as a part of ensembles, but that was 25 years ago.  Now I'd need 6 months of ear training, breathing and practice before I'd let anyone hear me singing from the shower... ;)

But I've never been a part of a band that actually played anywhere (even a dive bar), nor have I ever played any instrument in public.  My household pests vacate the premises when I even think about playing something other than my stereo...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: Sound Guys and/or Musicians
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 12:06:55 PM »

There was a running joke around here a few years ago that most "sound guys" were named Dave and played bass...

I played bass in two short-lived bands in the late 70's, then realized I enjoyed working on the gear more than I enjoyed playing through it.  Less pressure, too - unlike most of my musical family I don't have a love of being on stage.  As a "sound guy" in the back of the venue, if all goes well the crowd doesn't even know I exist, but the client does and I'll keep getting called back.

Now that I'm older and lugging subs around is losing its luster, I'm pondering dusting off my old basses (Gibson EB-0 "Frankenbass" and G-3, Musicman Sting Ray, and a few others) that have been pretty much untouched for decades, and leaving the heavy lifting to younger backs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:11:17 PM by Russ Davis »
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »

Curious is there sound guys out there that do not play in a band or played an instrument?

Those who can't do, meta-do.

-F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »

I would also like the point out the "tech nerd who ran the projector in elementary school" to sound tech path

I was also the tech nerd who ran the lights at school and local theatres.  Thankfully I saw the error of my ways* and changed to sound.

* I was going to write 'thankfully I saw the light' but thought it would be confusing!

Steve.

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

Curious is there sound guys out there that do not play in a band or played an instrument?

I own a bass, three guitars, a piano, a cello and a didgeridoo.

Whether you'd want to hear me play them, that's a whole 'nuther story.
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »

I own a bass, three guitars, a piano, a cello and a didgeridoo.

Whether you'd want to hear me play them, that's a whole 'nuther story.

I'd like to hear the didgeridoo...as long as it's not didgeridoo-doo. 

How 'bout a duo with didge and skweezbox???
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 02:34:29 PM »

Musicians had control back then and the first thing you did was get the PA up and running as loud and clean as possible, then bring in all the instruments. The key to success was to establish that great stage mix starting with drums and bass, then horns and B3, and finally guitars. And let me say there is no better feeling than the sound of a tight blues/soul group with plenty of feel and just the sound of the instruments working as one....

Amen!

Gus Housen

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »

I am not much of a musician.. I learned mostly from a guy who wasn't a musician. I played horn in JR high and cymbals in high school but i wasn't a good musician.
Later after doing sound for about 5-6 years I started singing in a punk country band with love songs about vacuum cleaners and titties  but it was mostly just some house parties and a excuse to drink Ice 800 with some buddies as I was gigging almost every weekend  doing live sound. I will say actually playing in a band even just fooling around made a difference, in my monitor mixes.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 02:55:58 PM »

I would also like the point out the "tech nerd who ran the projector in elementary school" to sound tech path.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
That was my path to some degree though it was more in Junior High and High School. I ran sound/lights for several plays in school and at church while in JH/HS and became the go to person when you needed something done with a PA system or the cafetorium lights until I graduated. I am still a backup sound person at the church I grew up at and recently installed an x32 there, not to mention I do sound at a couple of other churches to some degree.

Other than playing Tuba in JH band I don't/haven't played anything.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »

Ha ha!  I also ran the projector in elementary school.  My interests in all things sound and playing an instrument developed concurrently and by the late '70s I was involved in both.  Running sound today is limited to my band.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.