ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mod A Pignose Hog 30  (Read 6278 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Mod A Pignose Hog 30
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »

Sort of an odd question, but I know some of you guys will have a solution.

We have a little Pignose Hog 30 (20 watts actual) battery-operated Bass amp that we use for busking, and it has an 8” speaker that sounds like garbage. Some people have modded the Pignose guitar amp with an extension speaker, and I wanted to do that with the Hog 30. Would I be better off building a small cab with a 15 in it, buying a ready-made cab or am I just wasting my time?

We really need to be battery powered when we busk. Just picked up a Roland Cube Street for vocals and guitar, and it's a great little amp. Problem is, the Hog 30 can't keep up with it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Jerome Malsack

Re: Mod A Pignose Hog 30
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »

If you have the tech skills and can verify that the speaker is 8 ohm.  I would suggest a pair of these inexpensive low power 8 inch.  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-55-3231-/55-3231   Wire IN SERIES for 8 ohm.

Using a small cabinet with tuned ports.   

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mtm-10ma-10-cu-ft-mtm-speaker-cabinet-maple--302-756

Parts express will also have the ports,  Jack plates, Handle to carry,  Recommend the 1/4 insert guitar type to create a switched speaker to disconnect the internal. 

this would make a speaker cabinet that would weight around 50 lbs.  Using two 8 inch low power to match the 30 watt output from the amp.   Building cost approximate Less than 200

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »

Save yourself the time and money. Warehouse speakers are a pretty well kept secret, and they are also the speakers I use for most Fender replacements. They make a wonderful 8" 20 watt speaker that will turn your Pignose into the amp you always thought it could be.

http://wgs4.com/content/g8c
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »

Would I be better off building a small cab with a 15 in it, buying a ready-made cab or am I just wasting my time?

Bob,

Although there certainly may be better 8" available, with only 20 watts available you need more efficiency to keep up with amplified guitar, so going with a larger speaker is the way to go.

A 15" will be about 6 dB more efficient in the low frequency range than an 8", the equivalent of going from 20 to 80 watts.

Going with a well braced 1/2" cabinet using a neo-magnet speaker (like the Eminence KappaLite 4015) you could get around 112 dB (one meter) out of your amp with a cabinet weighing around 20 pounds.

You may find a ready-made cab to cost less, and not require any work.
Bring your Pignose to a music store and try out some cabs.

Performance wise a custom cabinet offers many advantages,  you can build it to a shape that works best for you, and even build it tall with tilt back wheels and a flip top to store the Pignose in.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.