ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Quad PA  (Read 14344 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Quad PA
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

And depending on where you were seated-the effect could be more annoying than cool.

I have never witnessed it but I suspect that you are right.

I think it would work well for special effects like flying an aircraft over the heads of the audience but I can't see it working well musically.

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:42 PM »

I have never witnessed it but I suspect that you are right.

I think it would work well for special effects like flying an aircraft over the heads of the audience but I can't see it working well musically.

Steve.

I think it's not "music", it's performance art with a sound component.

This is the kind of stuff we used to think up in Junior High, stuff with a high "gee whiz" factor and thanks to grant money people are now able to stage this stuff somewhere other than their garage...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

Where is all of this grant money of which you speak??

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »

If you do quad, consider IEMs for the performer(s).

I'd also consider putting the mains at the stage and then place other speakers around the back and treat them more like rear speakers in a surround movie system.  Just push effects there, never vocals,...  If you can handle it, go 8 channels in the rear around the perimeter,then you can do some cool circular effects that the audience will experience more uniformly.
Mark McFarlane

Al Schatz

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

If you do quad, consider IEMs for the performer(s).

I'd also consider putting the mains at the stage and then place other speakers around the back and treat them more like rear speakers in a surround movie system.  Just push effects there, never vocals,...  If you can handle it, go 8 channels in the rear around the perimeter,then you can do some cool circular effects that the audience will experience more uniformly.

yeah i think this is the best option. thanks.

Al Schatz

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »

I'm not sure this deserves much discussion. The OP/band seems to have some misperceptions about sound reinforcement. The basic concept of sound reinforcement is to make it appear like the sound is coming from the live performers on stage, which is generally on one wall. There are round stages where the audience surrounds the stage, but again the sound is designed to come from the stage and performers.

Quad or surround sound is generally not a live performance practice while there are notable examples (Pink Floyd) where songs were engineered/produced with specific front, and rear or surround content. An alternate quad set up is dual or crossed stereo for playback of stereo material in venues like dance clubs.

FWiW stereo presentation is not about presenting sound with L-C-R content, but tricking our monkey brains into perceiving a recreated sound field that has directional content. In live sound reinforcement we have plenty of that and visual cues, so stereo PA would only make sense if the band was spread 50' wide.   

Good luck...   

JR

But what if there are no instruments being played? whats the concept then? the idea of this show is to remove the stage entirely and have a shared experience between audience and performer.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »

But what if there are no instruments being played? whats the concept then? the idea of this show is to remove the stage entirely and have a shared experience between audience and performer.
]
But the experience can never be shared-no matter how hard you try.

The performer (if actually performing) is going to produce a sound of some sort (or why is a sound system needed?).

When they produce that sound THEY experience it-no body else does (unless it has an onstage amplifier.

Then the will hear the delayed signal getting back to them.

The audience however-does not get the original sound and only the sound from the system.  So they have 1 arrival while the musician (can you say that if there are no instruments????) gets 2 sources (original nd from system.  It is this delayed signal that would cause the problem with performance.

Of course if IEMs are used then it is reduced.

HOWEVER consider that if there is signal point toward the stage-then the stage mics will pickup this delayed signal and amplify it-causing even more delay and a smearing of the sound.

And before people talk about directional microphones-consider that the sound is coming from 360° around the stage-so the mic WILL be pointed towards a sound source.

Unless I am missing something is what is going on.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »

All together now (all together now)...

The Beatles
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

All together now (all together now)...

The Beatles

That red-haired girl looks confused because her headphones are on backwards.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »

as far as the music aspect,  I think it is fun to do the wedding march that follows the bride.  Music starts in the back and works its way to the front.  Following the brides step and the focus.   Less effective for the exit however. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.