ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluetooth audio transmitter and speakers  (Read 2396 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Bluetooth audio transmitter and speakers
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:30:09 PM »

Looking into a Bluetooth audio transmitter I can use to take signal from an aux out on a self-powered mixer to a couple of battery powered Bluetooth speakers.  The intended use is to provide close-up coverage for hearing-impaired occupants of a single pew in a small church.  Distance is well within the Class 2 device 10m limit.  Any recommendations on either transmitters or the speakers?  Budget is $500 for everything.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Bluetooth audio transmitter and speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »

I think your going to run into issues with pairing to more than one speaker/device.  A better idea on a budget might be to go with a very low power FM transmitter into some inexpensive FM receivers, although you would probably find me listening to sunday morning jazz as opposed to the message.  Of course you already know that Williams and other companies make specific hearing assist systems.
This space for rent

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »

Kirby, there was another thread about using Bluetooth for another remote use and the latency was sufficiently great that the idea was abandoned.  Even if the latency were tolerable for the intended users I can foresee a problem with other listeners hearing these sources - how do you intend to align them with the main PA?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:20:01 PM »

Kirby, there was another thread about using Bluetooth for another remote use and the latency was sufficiently great that the idea was abandoned.  Even if the latency were tolerable for the intended users I can foresee a problem with other listeners hearing these sources - how do you intend to align them with the main PA?

Alto has a whole line with BT audio transmission. I have no idea what the latency issue would be.

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts112w
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:52:51 PM »

the latency was sufficiently great that the idea was abandoned

Thanks for the replies: Bluetooth is out. Any experience or caveats with less expensive assisted listening device (ALD) systems such as the Nady ALD800?

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:36:49 PM »

I have the old carvin Pm-100 that is in the 72 mhz band and works very similar.  4 ft antenna ? 
has the power to carry but the sound quality on good headphones is noisy. 

The transmitter needs good front end processing to allow for a better transmission. 
limiting / compression / eq.   Help.  Strong controlled signal input. 

Receivers, need batteries ?  maintenance problem there ??   

Also been keep an eye on Listen Tech and T coils with amp.  Hearing aids are T coil ready might be better option. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies: Bluetooth is out. Any experience or caveats with less expensive assisted listening device (ALD) systems such as the Nady ALD800?

Like a lot of things, "it depends."  If the main PA-to-listener time is greater than the Bluetooth latency, you can delay the send to the Bluetooth transmitter and come up with a reasonable alignment that would not create as big a time incoherence with other listeners in the vicinity.

There are probably other reasons to skip Bluetooth, but making pew-back speakers align with the PA is important regardless of how you get the audio there.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.