ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you don't know, just check You Tube.  (Read 13671 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: If you don't know, just check You Tube.
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »

Maybe some common sense would help. It does not take an EE to replace an outlet properly.  Pay attention and put things back the way one finds them (assuming it was correct when approached).  Unfortunately, most of the remaining common sense is either educated, trained, or litigated out of the populace.  (sigh)

My own kids have been taught about technical things while still sitting on my knee. So they can now troubleshoot and swap circuit boards in a computer or change out the starter on their cars. But the college students at the conservatory where I teach seemed to have missed this upbringing and have a lot of trouble with some of the simplest things such as setting a DMM to read AC volts. But they have no trouble running and bragging about their iPhone apps.

I have a 90-minute NoShockZone seminar I do at Recreational Vehicle shows where I define volts, amps and watts, then demonstrate how to safely meter and plug into a campsite power pedestal and check thier RVs for a hot-skin shock condition. I've had 80 year-old grandmothers come up to me after the presentation and tell me the now understand electricity, when they've struggled with the concept their entire lives. RV owners have to worry about this more than most since every time they plug into a new power source, the voltage can be too high or too low, and sometimes the ground is disconnected at the campsite pedestal outlet. Sadly, there's nothing in the NEC that requires any sort of periodic testing of power outlets at campgrounds and boat docks. So campers need a basic understanding of what electricity is and when to get worried (any kind of electrical shock).

I've found that many (most?) consumers believe that since electricity is invisible that it's too complicated to understand. But a little common sense about electricity goes a long way towards electrical safety. Unfortunately, most schools don't teach common sense, only how to pass standardized tests. So if you do understand electricity, then I challenge each of you to mentor someone (a young sound tech or maybe your own kid) about how cool electricity is. This can be as simple as an LED bulb and a battery to discuss voltage and current flow, or as complicated as building a real circuit. FYI: I see that Heathkit may once again be offering their great projects (which I built as a kid) and Radio Shack has a great DIY electrical program with all sorts of cool kits. To me, that's more important than making sure a kid has the latest smartphone or tablet. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:19:46 PM by Mike Sokol »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »

But the college students at the conservatory where I teach seemed to have missed this upbringing and have a lot of trouble with some of the simplest things such as setting a DMM to read AC volts.

A few years ago, my company hired someone with an electronics degree.  He came to me (an engineer without a degree) and asked which way round to connect an LED.

I do like the Neutrik PowerCon connectors that Whirlwind uses to interconnect their PowerLink product line.

I like all of Neutrik's products.  Their UK factory is only about a mile away from me.  If I ever lose my current job, I think I would call on them first.

Not the UK plug.  It is half insulated so that if it is inserted just enough to make contact, only the plastic parts are exposed on both live and neutral.

When I was at school (70s and 80s) our plugs didn't have the insulation on the live and neutral pins like in the picture I posted.  They were solid brass.  This made it very easy to connect something without actually putting a plug on it.  Hold the bared wire ends over the holes in the socket and push in the plug from something else!

Steve.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:14:38 PM by Steve M Smith »

Lyle Williams

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »

A few years ago, my company hired someone with an electronics degree.  He came to me (an engineer without a degree) and asked which way round to connect an LED.

Sadly about 25% of job applications contain outright fabrications.  More than half contain misleading statements about levels of responsibility that stretch the truth.

That said, EE is a wide field. An EE could be forgiven for forgetting which end of the led has a long lead.

...  but they should have worked it out for themselves with a meter to save face     :-)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »

Sadly about 25% of job applications contain outright fabrications.  More than half contain misleading statements about levels of responsibility that stretch the truth.

Are  you talking about about job applications or Youtube "How to" videos??  :D

Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

SThat said, EE is a wide field.

Yes.  I later found out that the title of his degree was Electronic Systems Design. I think anyone who could draw a block diagram could get one!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.