ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Scaffolding vs. crank up lifts  (Read 16327 times)

Tomm Williams

Scaffolding vs. crank up lifts
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:44 AM »

I need some input here as to experiences with either. I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide which to go with. For a proper set up with crank lifts, I'm looking at the GT st157's (4) and two 6' sections of square tube trussing. That along with the flyware for my two sets of Bag End Crystals puts me fairly close (if not over) $4,000.00.

I can purchase two pairs of 6' scaffolding, extentions, outriggers and cover cloths for less than half of that. I estimate the total footprint to be about the same either way.

My main reason for leaning towards crank lifts is the ease of getting the speakers in the air. I see they offer an arm mounted pulley system for the scaffolding that can accomplish the same thing.

Who is using what and why?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Scaffolding vs. crank up lifts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »

I need some input here as to experiences with either. I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide which to go with. For a proper set up with crank lifts, I'm looking at the GT st157's (4) and two 6' sections of square tube trussing. That along with the flyware for my two sets of Bag End Crystals puts me fairly close (if not over) $4,000.00.

I can purchase two pairs of 6' scaffolding, extentions, outriggers and cover cloths for less than half of that. I estimate the total footprint to be about the same either way.

My main reason for leaning towards crank lifts is the ease of getting the speakers in the air. I see they offer an arm mounted pulley system for the scaffolding that can accomplish the same thing.

Just some other things to consider.

If you go with scaffolding-how are you going to get the speakers on top of it?

Time to setup.

Storage space in vehicle

Ease of getting up stairs if needed

There are advantages and disadvantages to each, you need to weigh YOUR needs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

The nice thing about scaffolding is that it's fairly easy to obtain.  If you're traveling to an event, having the promotor source a bunch of scaffolding for you would mean you don't have to transport it.  As long as it's the same size as you spec, your covers, outriggers, etc, should be all you need to bring.
Brian Jojade

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:12:36 PM »

Tom I like the idea of scaffolding..BUT I dont like the idea of
the amount of space it takes in the trailer/truck.
Horse a Piece
:)

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »

Crank lifts have adjustable height. Scaffolding is constrained by buck size. If you have 6' bucks, then you can do 6, 12, 18, etc, depending on what you rent.  I don't know your business model, but what happens if you play a ballroom with 11'8 ceilings?

Crank lifts/stands seem to offer more future flexibility, at an added cost.  You can always rent scaffold, so try it for a while?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »

Crank lifts have adjustable height. Scaffolding is constrained by buck size. If you have 6' bucks, then you can do 6, 12, 18, etc, depending on what you rent.  I don't know your business model, but what happens if you play a ballroom with 11'8 ceilings?

Crank lifts/stands seem to offer more future flexibility, at an added cost.  You can always rent scaffold, so try it for a while?

Renting nice, clean scaffolding is pretty hit or miss.  Even if you're wrapping it the stucco lumps show through. :(

We own Genie ST lifts and a pair of Global (I think) telescoping tube crank lifts.  We also own a bunch of 3', 5' and 6.5' scaffolding frames, x-braces and leveling jacks.  Every from of elevation has limits of usefulness, practicality, or suitability outdoors.  Sometimes it seems we don't have enough options...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »

Unless you are planning to put up a full width lighting truss I'd pass on the truss stands and instead buy a pair of lifts that are designed to handle a cantilevered load, such as Genies, Sumners, or VMB line array lifts. They will cost more initially but will work better than the method you are contemplating.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 11:30:07 PM »

Applied makes a "T" bar with a hanging yoke on it for their L16 lifts. you can hang a speaker on each side and aim them appropriately. The bar is rated for the same weight as the lift, so 500#. You can only hang two speakers from each lift (unless you are hanging speakers under one another), so it has its limitations, but I find that it works really well and couldn't be easier to deploy. Because the "T" only lowers to about 6' off the ground, I stand each speaker on an "On-Stage" WS540s stand (one on each side to maintain balance) to hook it to the hanging bar,  so I don't have to hold it there while I'm trying to connect the  shackles, thus making it a one man job.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:57:01 AM by boburtz »

Tomm Williams

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:15 AM »

Now that might work. I prefer the profile of one lift but didn't know any could be loaded like that.  I'll check that out.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »

Applied makes a "T" bar with a hanging yoke on it for their L16 lifts. you can hang a speaker on each side and aim them appropriately. The bar is rated for the same weight as the lift, so 500#. You can only hang two speakers from each lift (unless you are hanging speakers under one another), so it has its limitations, but I find that it works really well and couldn't be easier to deploy. Because the "T" only lowers to about 6' off the ground, I stand each speaker on an "On-Stage" WS540s stand (one on each side to maintain balance) to hook it to the hanging bar,  so I don't have to hold it there while I'm trying to connect the  shackles, thus making it a one man job.

Where is this T bar and yoke you speak of? I couldn't find it on Applied website.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.