ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large RF coverage area, multiple antenna's  (Read 19367 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Large RF coverage area, multiple antenna's
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »

Considering the additional price of the fibre optic cable and considering the price of good quality coax, it looks like runs under about 250'-300' would not make economic sense.
Perhaps from an RF loss standpoint, it might.
Thoughts Pete?

RF over fiber is not about saving money. It is an expensive solution. It is about getting useful RF signal over long distances, and in difficult RF situations. When you need RF over fiber, you really need it. If you don't need it, use low loss coax like LMR-400.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 11:01:08 AM »

Considering the additional price of the fibre optic cable and considering the price of good quality coax, it looks like runs under about 250'-300' would not make economic sense.
Perhaps from an RF loss standpoint, it might.
Thoughts Pete?

Coax LMR-400 (non Plenum) is about $220 for 200'  (Plenum cable is closer to $6 per foot)

200' of One core of a single mode plenum fiber with FC/APC connectors is less than $60
    http://www.fiber.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6342{1}1{2}60
Your extra cost comes with the hardware but with no loss compared to the Coax.

Just out of convenience I wouldn't use fiber until I was longer than 200'  it's just simpler and if I can put a +10dB RX antenna at the beginning I mostly make up the loss.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:23:46 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »

RF over fiber is not about saving money. It is an expensive solution. It is about getting useful RF signal over long distances, and in difficult RF situations. When you need RF over fiber, you really need it. If you don't need it, use low loss coax like LMR-400.

Mac

Mac, when RF, coms and non-copper distribution become topics, I'm all ears (pun intended).

Doing a bit of internet searching I've determined that I need RF/optical remediation.  Is there a source of foundational knowledge?  My 35 year old mobile com RF experience is incredibly last century...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 11:17:26 AM »

Mac, when RF, coms and non-copper distribution become topics, I'm all ears (pun intended).

Doing a bit of internet searching I've determined that I need RF/optical remediation.  Is there a source of foundational knowledge?  My 35 year old mobile com RF experience is incredibly last century...

Very technical article http://alexandria.tue.nl/extra2/200512106.pdf

Very simplistic explanation http://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/pdf/RF-over-Fiber%20brochure%207_2013%20V1.pdf
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »

My systems tend, these days, to have short antenna cables and have the relevant Tx/Rx devices closer to the antenna. I then send control and audio data over fibre.

On bigger jobs, this often works out more cost effective since I can send a whole bunch of data down a single (or redundant pair) of tactical fibres. And in these cases, you often get to the point where the cost of the fibre and endpoints is cheaper than the analog equivalent, even at shorter distances.

Not to mention you can actually end up with the rental house dream of having completely interchangeable cable systems. One cable that can be an audio multicore, a pair of video feeds, a data connection, or all of the above, etc...
Riedel Communications

Mike Thomson

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 02:38:28 AM »

There are lots and lots of people who make RF over fibre equipment. Plenty to choose from.

The issue, in our application, is finding a system that is nice and neat and lends itself to radio mic usage.

Sennheiser now make a system which I can't find on their site, but is clearly shown here: http://www.gasolinemedia.com/sennheisers-high-fibre-diet.htm

I've used this very successfully, and it works well because its packaged perfectly for our environment.

Its cheaper than the riedel system

I just got my CATV 4 mW RF Optical Transmitter and Receiver  from http://questtel.com/item.php?id=2 works perfectly in many buildings 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber