ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Large RF coverage area, multiple antenna's  (Read 19240 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Large RF coverage area, multiple antenna's
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »

Tell them that that is unacceptable.  No line of sight - NO RF.  They wouldn't put that restriction on the lighting equipment - same is true for Antennas.  Stand your ground.
I hear you but sometimes the situation simply doesn't allow me to get what I want or should have. :(
We were the low guys on the production totem pole. Down the road, I may be able to push back a bit harder.

Overall, the antennas at board level worked out OK due to the fact that there was a limited number of people on the ice.
A second set, at the other end, might allow me to drop TX power down from 100mw as well.
It would be a cable length consideration then.

The RF over fibre does look like it is a bit tricky and probably out of my budget!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »

There are lots and lots of people who make RF over fibre equipment. Plenty to choose from.

The issue, in our application, is finding a system that is nice and neat and lends itself to radio mic usage.

Sennheiser now make a system which I can't find on their site, but is clearly shown here: http://www.gasolinemedia.com/sennheisers-high-fibre-diet.htm

I've used this very successfully, and it works well because its packaged perfectly for our environment.

Its cheaper than the riedel system
Riedel Communications

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

Sennheiser now make a system which I can't find on their site, but is clearly shown here: http://www.gasolinemedia.com/sennheisers-high-fibre-diet.htm

It's not Senheiser but a related company who has packaged this. Not designed for US.

Google Rf over fiber and see others.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

gil parente

• Atlantic Professional Audio
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2014, 03:32:47 PM »

Here is one that I don't think costs too much.  They also have some interesting antenna options.

http://www.rfvenue.com/rf-optix-fiber-optic-conversion-system

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 08:33:29 AM »

Here is one that I don't think costs too much.  They also have some interesting antenna options.

This looks like a good option.
I asked for a price and will let you know what I find out

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

It's not Sennheiser but a related company who has packaged this. Not designed for US.

Care to elaborate? What specifically makes it not US friendly?
Riedel Communications

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »

Care to elaborate? What specifically makes it not US friendly?

240 volt only which doesn't mean it cant be used, just that it wasn't friendly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:31:31 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

240 volt only
US don't have transformers? 1:2 Step up transformer and your sorted... If you want to go new tech I am pretty sure someone has created a switch mode supply that does the same for you...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »

This looks like a good option.
I asked for a price and will let you know what I find out

Quite reasonable price. The RF Optix kit will have a MAP of $699 USD.

Fiber must use FC/APC (angle polished connectors) which eliminates regular fiber cables.

Here is their response and product info

Hello Keith and Peter!

I saw the discussion thread on PSW and also your pricing/info requests on RFvenue.com and thought I’d get back to you with some info on our soon to be released RF to fiber conversion platform. 

The "RF Optix" kit consists of (1) optical transmitter (placed at antenna end) and (1) optical receiver unit placed at the rack or other home run position.  It is designed for use under 1 GHz and for best possible performance across the UHF band where most RF Venue customers’ IEMs and wireless microphones operate. 

I should note that special attention has been paid to the noise floor and headroom of the system and that it is a very basic simplex design, a wider range of capabilities and configurations are planned for the future..

Instead of including an onboard amplifier in the system as is commonly done to makeup the relatively high insertion loss associated with any fiber optic system, we’re opting to offer an in-line amplifier as an option, since most users report greater proximity to the wireless mic transmitters (and greater signal to noise) as one of the benefits of the RF Optix system.  The total loss would translate to about a 200’ run of our low loss mini RG8X coax, which is around the length where temporary or permanent coax applications become a real nuisance.  E.g. it might not make a lot of sense to use the Optix system for a 50’ extension project, but for 150+ ft the cost and transmission line loss of the coax start to offer diminishing returns. This is especially true for plenum rated coax required for in-wall or in-ceiling permanent installs.  I got a quote on a long run of plenum LMR400 the other day and nearly fell out of my chair.

The system is currently in production and should be shipping over the next few weeks. As such the final specs have not been published but will be soon. You can find those on the update RF Optix product page when it launches.

The transmitter and receiver units feature screw on FC connectors, and the system is 9/125 single mode simplex.  For a diversity wireless microphone application, a pair of RF Optix units would be required.  A screw on 9V power supply is included for either end of the link, and we are currently testing out a really cool rechargeable battery that could power two transmitter units at the antenna end.

Best Regards,

Chris Regan

RF Venue
72 Nickerson Road
Ashland, MA 01721

tel. 339-309-0218

@RFvenue
http://www.RFvenue.com

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:18:13 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »

Quite reasonable price. The RF Optix kit will have a MAP of $699 USD.

Considering the additional price of the fibre optic cable and considering the price of good quality coax, it looks like runs under about 250'-300' would not make economic sense.
Perhaps from an RF loss standpoint, it might.
Thoughts Pete?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.