ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low freq. EQ boost  (Read 10158 times)

sam saponaro

Low freq. EQ boost
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »

Appearantly my EAW SB180z subs are sposed to be used with a proccessor which I do not have.
Reading on EAW's site they have proccessor settings listed for SBK180 subs,which I assume are pretty much the same.
They have listed HPF,LPF and 2 parametric eq points.I have the HPF on my Ashly EQ and LPF which would be my crossover DBX 223XL.
Now the Parametric points are 4Dbu @ 40Hz with Q of 2(which I assume means two octaves??)and -2Dbu @ 112Hz Q of 1
So could I simulate this on my graphic with a little hump at the 40Hz and slight dip at 100Hz.I know boosting an EQ is generally a NO NO but would it amount to basically the same thing?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Low freq. EQ boost
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »

Appearantly my EAW SB180z subs are sposed to be used with a proccessor which I do not have.
Reading on EAW's site they have proccessor settings listed for SBK180 subs,which I assume are pretty much the same.
They have listed HPF,LPF and 2 parametric eq points.I have the HPF on my Ashly EQ and LPF which would be my crossover DBX 223XL.
Now the Parametric points are 4Dbu @ 40Hz with Q of 2(which I assume means two octaves??)and -2Dbu @ 112Hz Q of 1
So could I simulate this on my graphic with a little hump at the 40Hz and slight dip at 100Hz.I know boosting an EQ is generally a NO NO but would it amount to basically the same thing?

http://www.rane.com/note170.html
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

A Q of 2 means a bandwidth of 0.7 oct.  so about 2/3rds oct.

A Q of 1 is a bandwidth of 1.39 oct so about 1 1/3 oct.

It depends on what the bandwidth of your graphic.  They come is all sorts of different bands.

So yes you can probably get "close enough" for jazz----------------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sam saponaro

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 08:49:24 PM »

So yes you can probably get "close enough" for jazz----------------
Cool I like Jazz.... :)
I actually dug deeper and actually found the SB180z settings It has parametric 1 listed the same,but no dip at 112Hz.
So I'll try a little hump in the 40Hz area and see were I get.
My first gig on them I had the EQ flat down there and I thought they shoulda had a little more lows compared to when I heard other systems using them with proccessors.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

Cool I like Jazz.... :)
I actually dug deeper and actually found the SB180z settings It has parametric 1 listed the same,but no dip at 112Hz.
So I'll try a little hump in the 40Hz area and see were I get.
My first gig on them I had the EQ flat down there and I thought they shoulda had a little more lows compared to when I heard other systems using them with proccessors.
Just remember that when you add low freq boost-it will REDUCE the maximum output at that freq by the same amount.

Something many manufacturers would not like to discuss-because the boosts make the low freq extension numbers "appear" to be lower than they really are.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

sam saponaro

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »

Just remember that when you add low freq boost-it will REDUCE the maximum output at that freq by the same amount.

Something many manufacturers would not like to discuss-because the boosts make the low freq extension numbers "appear" to be lower than they really are.
So in other words these things "really" roll off around 45Hz and the extension on the spec sheet is electronic not the box??

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »

So in other words these things "really" roll off around 45Hz and the extension on the spec sheet is electronic not the box??

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:03:56 AM »

Unfortunately the only way to port DSP settings currently is to measure the recommended processor with the correct factory settings and reconstruct the transfer function with the intended DSP processor or crossover. Sadly this is caused by a lack of consensus on parameters like Q and filters by various manufactures. Simply entering values in the DSP or crossover doesn't guarantee the exact same outcome.

Riku Ylinen

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:58:58 AM »

Excuse me, but how can a loudpeaker know if it´s receiving for example 100 volts of sine wave @40Hz through a +4 dB filter before amplifier or not?

EAW processor parametrics Q versus BW are for example: Q=2 equals BW=0.5, Q=3 equals BW 0.333 and so on... To be exact you do have to measure EAW processor and copy the transfer function to another brand of gear ( Though Ashlys are pretty close or even spot-on).

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »

Excuse me, but how can a loudpeaker know if it´s receiving for example 100 volts of sine wave @40Hz through a +4 dB filter before amplifier or not?
I believe the point is that you would have to drop the input voltage to the filter by 4dB in order to maintain the same output level.  Extend that to broadband or typical music sources sources and that reduction in the input voltage would likely reduce the overall level.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.