ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazer for public art aurora borealis?  (Read 620 times)

Bland Hoke

Hazer for public art aurora borealis?
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:15:32 pm »

Hello,

I'm working on a semi-permanent public art project (2-4 years) using a laser lumia effect projected onto the exterior of a sports arena dome to create an aurora borealis effect. The laser is installed on an adjacent building and directed down onto the dome. I plan on installing a hazer on the top of the dome to illuminate the beam in the air. I am designing a system so it will only turn on in the evenings if the windspeed is below 5mph.

This is my first time researching hazers/foggers.

The crucial aspects for this application are:

-the least maintenance/cleaning possible
-$1,000-$2,500
-large fluid capacity
-large output for an exterior environment, covering about 250 sq/ft

The models I am looking at are:

-Base Hazer Pro
-Radiance Hazer
-Df-50

The questions I have:

-Is it possible to pump haze through a 4" pvc pipe with inline duct fans to disperse it through holes along the pipe? The total distance is about 50'
-Can a fluid reservoir be installed far away from the haze machine and fluid pumped to it?
-Are there chilling devices for hazers to make the haze float near the ground that use a refrigeration system (not ice).

Any suggestions/experience to share is most appreciated-

Thanks!

Kevin McDonough

Re: Hazer for public art aurora borealis?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 02:42:37 pm »

hey

add to you're list the Phantom Hazer by a UK company called Pea Soup.  Despite the funny company name its the absolute best hazer on the market today.

http://phantomhazer.com/

k

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:19:58 pm »

Not really confident a true hazer is suitable for outdoor use. I strongly suggest you rent one and test it before you commit to its' performance.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:53:49 am »

Check out the newly released CITC AquaMax organic hazer. It's at the higher end of your price range, but it sips fluid and boasts a prolonged hang time with high output. It also needs very little maintenance as the fluid it uses runs extremely clean, cutting down on heater core buildup and clogging.
Ray Cerwinski

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:31 am »

If the distance is only 50' and you will only be using it in low winds then you won't have any problems.  Get a Radiance, set it on full blast, and watch the dancing lights.  :)

Josh Daws

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:27:07 am »

If the distance is only 50' and you will only be using it in low winds then you won't have any problems.  Get a Radiance, set it on full blast, and watch the dancing lights.  :)

+1

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:59:16 am »

The questions I have:

-Is it possible to pump haze through a 4" pvc pipe with inline duct fans to disperse it through holes along the pipe? The total distance is about 50'
-Can a fluid reservoir be installed far away from the haze machine and fluid pumped to it?
-Are there chilling devices for hazers to make the haze float near the ground that use a refrigeration system (not ice).

Any suggestions/experience to share is most appreciated-

Thanks!

- yes, although using the prevailing breeze to your advantage would be best, trying to fight mother nature with fans will be extremely challenging.

- yes, as long as there is not too much head (vertical distance). Too high container and the fluid would siphon down, too low and it won't pump. Not that you couldn't find someone to make you a simple system to refill a container near the unit. A simple float valve and pump would do. Another option could be a pump on a timer (few minutes a day) to pump fluid from a large reservoir to the smaller container near the unit and have an overflow draining from the smaller container back to the larger reservoir. Many solutions to this problem.

-you'd probably have to fabricate your own for that one.

The radiance is a great hazer but what is your budget? Brand name fluid runs $100/gallon , $40/gallon for froggy's. I'd be more inclined to use hazer that uses traditional glycol/water (regular cheap fluid). DF-50 uses cheap fluid, try renting one of those and trying.

Before you do anything I'd rent one for the day and see if it can even perform anywhere near what you need. Another option depending on climate could be a water screen, fine nozzle's sending up a mist of water.

Bland Hoke

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:03:58 am »

Check out the newly released CITC AquaMax organic hazer. It's at the higher end of your price range, but it sips fluid and boasts a prolonged hang time with high output. It also needs very little maintenance as the fluid it uses runs extremely clean, cutting down on heater core buildup and clogging.

Thanks for the tip! The AquaMax looks like a great product. I was wondering if the fluid spoils over time? Would it be a bad idea to invest in a 55 gallon drum of fluid for the AquaMax and set up a system that will feed fluid for years on end (assuming 1 hour of use every other night)? Also, I'm wondering if the zero-cleaning claim is inaccurate under normal use? Seems too good to be true. . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 24 queries.