ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line6 Mics & Asus Router Issue  (Read 4201 times)

Rufus Crowder

Line6 Mics & Asus Router Issue
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »

I utilize three (3) Line6 V-series mics (V70's and V75) and have really bad issue with dropouts with the V75 unit to the point of not being able to use it at all.  I believe the culprit is that this system will not operate within any proximity of this router (ASUS RT-AC66U; Dual Band; 3x3; 802.11AC Gigabit Router) (used as an wireless access point to utilize my Behringer X32, iPads, etc.)

This router operates in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  My question is, if possible to disable the 2.4GHz radio and leave the 5GHz radio on, would this solve the problem?

Should I utilize another router and if so what is working for some in this arena?

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Line6 Mics & Asus Router Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »

Rufus,

We use 5 Line 6's-in close (10 feet) proximity to a router.  The Line 6 manual shows which Line  channels correspond to which WiFi channels.  You should be able to find a setting for the WiFi channel on the router, or use an app such as inSSIDer which will show you which WiFi channels are active in your location.  With only 3 mics, you should be able to find enough channels to avoid interference fairly easily. It should not make any difference who makes the router.
Steve Swaffer

Rufus Crowder

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »

Rufus,

We use 5 Line 6's-in close (10 feet) proximity to a router.  The Line 6 manual shows which Line  channels correspond to which WiFi channels.  You should be able to find a setting for the WiFi channel on the router, or use an app such as inSSIDer which will show you which WiFi channels are active in your location.  With only 3 mics, you should be able to find enough channels to avoid interference fairly easily. It should not make any difference who makes the router.
I will get my manual out and check this out.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »

The first question would be ... are all your systems operating in the same mode?  V70's (unless they have been updated can only run in RF1 mode.  V75's default out of thee box to RF2 mode.  You must insure that all systems are running in the same mode.  So my first guess is that they are not.

Turn on the scan function in the V75 receiver then turn on all transmitters.  You will see a "To" (RF1 mode) or a "Tx" (RF2 mode) above any channel operating.  If you have not yet updated the V70's (which essentially make them become V75's) you cannot change those.  But you can change the V75 transmitter to run in RF1 mode.  Instructions are in the owner's manual and in the FAQ on the Line 6 customer Service pages of the website.

Without knowing anything  else ... I would recommending running in RF1 mode unless there becomes a reason to run in RF2 mode.

As far as router operation ... yes ti would be to your advantage both from a reliability standpoint using Line 6 wireless and also from wi-fi reliability as well to run the router switched to run ONLY at 5GHz.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Rufus Crowder

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »

The first question would be ... are all your systems operating in the same mode?  V70's (unless they have been updated can only run in RF1 mode.  V75's default out of thee box to RF2 mode.  You must insure that all systems are running in the same mode.  So my first guess is that they are not.

Turn on the scan function in the V75 receiver then turn on all transmitters.  You will see a "To" (RF1 mode) or a "Tx" (RF2 mode) above any channel operating.  If you have not yet updated the V70's (which essentially make them become V75's) you cannot change those.  But you can change the V75 transmitter to run in RF1 mode.  Instructions are in the owner's manual and in the FAQ on the Line 6 customer Service pages of the website.

Without knowing anything  else ... I would recommending running in RF1 mode unless there becomes a reason to run in RF2 mode.

As far as router operation ... yes ti would be to your advantage both from a reliability standpoint using Line 6 wireless and also from wi-fi reliability as well to run the router switched to run ONLY at 5GHz.
Thanks Dan.  Yes, I have updated all of my Line6 devices (guitar body packs, mics) and have switched them all back to running in RF1 mode at low power.  I have tried everything and noticed that my V75 mic and guitar system work horribly and I believe it is due to the router being in the same frequency band.  I will try and disable the 2.4GHz radio and see if all my peripherals will still hook up to my network.  If not, something has to give as the Line6 systems are totally unusable with my current set-up.  It is that bad.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »

Thanks Dan.  Yes, I have updated all of my Line6 devices (guitar body packs, mics) and have switched them all back to running in RF1 mode at low power.  I have tried everything and noticed that my V75 mic and guitar system work horribly and I believe it is due to the router being in the same frequency band.  I will try and disable the 2.4GHz radio and see if all my peripherals will still hook up to my network.  If not, something has to give as the Line6 systems are totally unusable with my current set-up.  It is that bad.

The fact that just two units are not working correctly makes me think they are not all running in the same mode ... which is mandatory.  Please confirm that you are seeing all "Tx" or To" as described earlier.

The router can be in the same band but not right on top of the receivers. How close to your receiver's antennas is your Wi-Fi transmitter?  If it's too close you'll need to use paddles and move them away.  But if you are running in RF1 mode that close  I would expect you should be affecting your wi-fi performance.

I would switch them to high power if you are getting dropouts. 

So how many total Line 6 devices are you using?
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

Rufus Crowder

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »

The fact that just two units are not working correctly makes me think they are not all running in the same mode ... which is mandatory.  Please confirm that you are seeing all "Tx" or To" as described earlier.

The router can be in the same band but not right on top of the receivers. How close to your receiver's antennas is your Wi-Fi transmitter?  If it's too close you'll need to use paddles and move them away.  But if you are running in RF1 mode that close  I would expect you should be affecting your wi-fi performance.

I would switch them to high power if you are getting dropouts. 

So how many total Line 6 devices are you using?
I am seeing the "Tx" and the "To" as described.  My receivers sit in the top of a rack and my X32 sits on the top of that rack with the Asus router sitting on the top of the doghouse of the X32 case.  I utilize three (3) mic systems and two (2) guitar systems.  What is interesting is that the V75 unit has so many drop outs, it is totally unusable.  During a break at a recent private function, I sat next to my rack and mixer and turned the router off and on and noticed that the mic seemed to become stable with the router turned off which led me to my 2.4GHz question.  I may have to get some Line6 paddles as you suggest if turning the 2.4GHz radio off does not help.  This happens to be the "money" channel mic and I am tired of getting the evil eyes when it keeps dropping out!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »

I am seeing the "Tx" and the "To" as described.

If you are seeing "Tx" on some receivers and "To" on others you need to reread Don's earlier post. All your receivers must be either "Tx" or "To", not a combination.

Mac

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

If you are seeing "Tx" on some receivers and "To" on others you need to reread Don's earlier post. All your receivers must be either "Tx" or "To", not a combination.

Mac

Yep ... that will take you off the air.  You'll need to switch the mode some transmitters (the receivers automatically follow).  I would suggest starting with all systems switched to RF1 mode.

Here's how ...  http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/xdv-digital-wireless-microphones/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r90
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.