ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth it  (Read 6816 times)

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
Is it worth it
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »

I have worked with a local band 3 times now (bar band), they are not very good the drummer is abusively loud, I have 2 fulcrum dx896 on stands and 2 qsc md series dual 18's and have a hard time getting vocals over the drummer.

At what point do you say the damage to my gear, my ears and my reputation is not worth what your paying me to providing audio for your events?

Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Is it worth it
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:14:09 AM »

I have worked with a local band 3 times now (bar band), they are not very good the drummer is abusively loud, I have 2 fulcrum dx896 on stands and 2 qsc md series dual 18's and have a hard time getting vocals over the drummer.

At what point do you say the damage to my gear, my ears and my reputation is not worth what your paying me to providing audio for your events?

How much are they paying you?  No way we could determine if if is worth it if we can't figure you ROI.

As far as ears go, wear hearing protection, custom molded if possible.  You'll have to account for the cost of them when determining if it is worth it or not.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »

I have 2 fulcrum dx896 on stands and 2 qsc md series dual 18's and have a hard time getting vocals over the drummer.
If the drums are louder at the vocal mic than the vocalist, that is what you will hear loudest regardless of the system.

Trying to get vocals over an "abusively loud" drummer just amplifies the abuse level.
No reason to damage to your gear,  ears or reputation trying to do something that is impossible.

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »

How much are they paying you?  No way we could determine if if is worth it if we can't figure you ROI.

As far as ears go, wear hearing protection, custom molded if possible.  You'll have to account for the cost of them when determining if it is worth it or not.

$250 a night, not what i was use to getting before i moved to middle ga but its a little more than what systems go for here. Theres some college kid here with a Yorkville NX rig that does gigs for $100 a night and kills the market for the rest of us. Insurance cost me almost as much as he makes.

Trying to get vocals over an "abusively loud" drummer just amplifies the abuse level.
No reason to damage to your gear,  ears or reputation trying to do something that is impossible.

Thats what i'm leaning towards Art. I just hate to drop a paying customer in a newer market.
Benjamin Gingerich

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »

What gear have you damaged-and whose fault was it?

If you don't need the money then fine.

I put up with a lot of crap and bands I could get to sound good-but I needed the money.

So that is your decision on whether it is worth it or not.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »

What gear have you damaged-and whose fault was it?

The only gear that was damaged was a sennheiser 935 and a wedge that had a grill pushed in with the lead singers foot. Nothing a hammer and vice wont fix.

Yes the reason i'm doing this is for the money, low level military pay is not much and i have 2 little-ones eating me out of house and home right now.

Gigs are not paying much at all, but the installs I've been doing are much more profitable.
Benjamin Gingerich

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Time to Walk
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »

The only gear that was damaged was a sennheiser 935 and a wedge that had a grill pushed in with the lead singers foot. Nothing a hammer and vice wont fix.

So now it's not just the drummer but the lead singer as well?  I agree the hammer and vise could be deployed (on the singer's foot), but I'd walk if I were you.  I see no mention of the "talent" offering remorse or compensation for the busted gear.  Stick to the more profitable installs, while looking for better gig opportunities.  And don't be surprised if these clowns come crawling back to you, more receptive to your issues when they can't find anyone else to work with them.  At that time you can re-evaluate whether they're worth it.

PS: 30 years ago I was in your shoes - junior USAF enlisted with family, running sound on the side for much-needed funds.  I feel your pain.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

Have you tried discussing it with the band?  I know it's usually a delicate matter, but it may work out for the better, especially if you're at your wits end. 

I'm interested to hear what other BEs have done in similar situations.  Did you try to discuss it with a muso/drummer who plays too loud?  Were you successful or did it lead to the death of your job?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:04:59 PM »

Buy some plexi, make some shields, tell them you want to isolate their instruments just a bit to achieve a better mix. don't tell them it's a solution for you to gain better control of their volume. And if the drummer has a monkey fist then don't mic his kit.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »

Buy some plexi, make some shields, tell them you want to isolate their instruments just a bit to achieve a better mix. don't tell them it's a solution for you to gain better control of their volume. And if the drummer has a monkey fist then don't mic his kit.

If you go this route, don't forget to put absorbent material on the wall BEHIND the drummer. Sometimes this is enough, as sound reflected off the back wall can muddy the drums, causing the drummer to drive harder. (Just my unresearched opinion.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:38:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.