ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line6 RF Issues  (Read 1987 times)

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
Line6 RF Issues
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:42:30 PM »

I have a total of 9 Line6 mix of XD-V70's and V75's. They are daisy chained in two stacks, one of four and one of five. Each stack has one rubber ducky and one paddle 180 degree directional antenna.

It seems the amount of interference I am picking up is more with using the antenna daisy chain as opposed to independent systems.

Am I doing something wrong here? There are four BNC jacks on the back of each receiver. Starting at the top I am taking the Antenna jacks on the far outside of the receiver and connecting them to antennas and then taking the inner jacks and connecting them to the outer jacks on the receiver below it and so on. Am I doing this correctly?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the different gain settings on the paddle antennas?

I have all systems running RF1 and flashed with the newest firmware.

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
Re: Line6 RF Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

Are you running a router to control your mixer via WiFi? If so potentially that could part of the issue. Try to use 5Ghz for that as opposed to 2.4Ghz to try and stay away from the frequencies that your line 6 mice use.

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:37:35 AM »

Did you recently add the v-75s to the group?  If so, check firmware.  V.1 and V.2 are incompatible and will cause them not to work together at all. You can download current firmware from their website.  I had to update my v70 when I added the v75s.

Nils

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »

I have all systems running RF1 and flashed with the newest firmware.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »

Make sure that the v75's are the last in the chain and not terminated with the physical bnc terminator.

The v75 auto-terminates and doesn't need the extra terminator.

If I remember correctly line6 only recommends four units daisychained when the v75 is involved. If you need more units then you have to buy their antenna distro.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

It seems the amount of interference I am picking up is more with using the antenna daisy chain as opposed to independent systems.

How is the interference manifesting itself?   Are you actually getting dropouts or just interference?  Well the antennas are dumb ... that is they just pick up any RF in their bandwidth.  So if you have better antenna coverage you will also be picking up more interference as well.  The advantage you do have using the directional paddles is that hopefully you can set their dead side to known interference (such as a wap).   You are kinda cheating by only using one paddle and could probably avoid more interference by using them in pairs ... YMMV.  Interference by itself doesn't really affect the audio so until you get too much there really isn't a problem.  It is normal to get some (maybe lots).

Am I doing something wrong here? There are four BNC jacks on the back of each receiver. Starting at the top I am taking the Antenna jacks on the far outside of the receiver and connecting them to antennas and then taking the inner jacks and connecting them to the outer jacks on the receiver below it and so on. Am I doing this correctly?

Sounds correct.  As Robert pointed out, terminators are a must on V70 and should not be used on V75.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the different gain settings on the paddle antennas?

You don't want too much gain as it becomes problematic.  Take a look at the RSSI indicators (the triangles on the receiver's LCD screen).  Don't turn up any higher than it takes to get 4 bars on them.  It's usually better to be just on the low side than just on the high side.

I'd add one more thing ... check the condition of your coax cables.  Coax cables are relatively fragile compared to mic cables.  Kinks and bends in them ruin them. So does running over them with a hand truck.   If this is a portable system consider then expendable.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »

Sounds like I am doing everything correctly. I'll report back. I am seeing lots of interference on the signal indicators. Since switching from RF2 back to RF1 I am not getting dropouts but I haven't used them enough on RF1 to completely form that conclusion. I'll put this on hold until I make that determination.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.