ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Array Software  (Read 6081 times)

Ryan Tolzmann

Line Array Software
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

Hi Guys,

Am i wrong in thinking that Meyer Sound has a program that shows you the throw and coverage of their speakers?  and will tell you the angles of which to rig your line array to?

What is this program called?
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Line Array Software
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »

Hi Guys,

Am i wrong in thinking that Meyer Sound has a program that shows you the throw and coverage of their speakers?  and will tell you the angles of which to rig your line array to?

What is this program called?

Meyer has MAPP Online and MAPP stand-alone.  Neither will tell you what angles to use (at least as of last year) but instead display the coverage of the system and interactions between system elements and venue boundaries; the display can be in wide (octave or such) or narrow spectral bands.  You can place virtual measurement microphones in the sound field and compare the magnitude and predicted phase response (virtual SIMM).  You "build" the array, set inter-box angles and push the "predict" button to get the results.  If you don't like what you see, you make bumper angle, trim height, and inter-box angle changes until you do (or realize that you're using the wrong product or not enough boxes).  It's an iterative process.

MAPP is a powerful tool, but you still have to the work. ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:51:01 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

Prediction programs show you the RESULT of what you put into the model.

You have to have an idea of how the system works-basic acoustic theory etc in order to determine what to put into the model-where to put it and where to aim it.

Then the software shows the result of that.

The same with any measurement system.  It shows you the result of your actions-but does not tell you what to do to cause a particular action.

Such as seeing a notch in the response.   It does nto directly tell you whether or not you can simply eq that notch out.  You have to use other tools to see if the notch is a result of a reflection-multiple drivers covering the same area-or something you can eq.

There is a lot of the "human element" in both prediction and measurement.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »

Meyer has MAPP Online and MAPP stand-alone.  Neither will tell you what angles to use (at least as of last year) but instead display the coverage of the system; the display can be in wide (octave or such) or narrow spectral bands.  You can place virtual measurement microphones in the sound field and compare the magnitude and predicted phase response (virtual SIMM).  You "build" the array, set inter-box angles and push the "predict" button to get the results.  If you don't like what you see, you make bumper angle, trim height, and inter-box angle changes until you do (or realize that you're using the wrong product or not enough boxes).  It's an iterative process.

MAPP is a powerful tool, but you still have to the work. ;)

thanks. this is what i was looking for.  i knew there was trial and error involved with it in some way.. i just couldnt remember what the program was that lets you see the throw and what not after plugging in the trim, room depth, etc.
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »

someone can delete this posting now. 
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Site policy
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »

someone can delete this posting now.

This site wouldn't be as useful if we deleted every thread when the question got answered.

Mac

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 08:35:43 AM »

thanks. this is what i was looking for.  i knew there was trial and error involved with it in some way.. i just couldnt remember what the program was that lets you see the throw and what not after plugging in the trim, room depth, etc.

hey

As said, most programs work in that you enter the details of your hangs and speakers, and the program predicts what the outcome will be. You adjust and predict again until you're happy.

The only one that works in the "reverse" way is for Martin Audio MLA.  With that one, you tell it what coverage you would like and it works back, trying thousands of different simulations with different splay angles, DSP settings etc for you until it finds the best one to match your needs.

The new EAW Anya uses a similar technology at least in the cabinet, I'm not sure if they're prediction software will also work in the "reverse" way.

k

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »

I believe the Meyer MAPP is online only. You need an internet connection for it to work. All the data you put into it gets sent to Meyers' servers and then it sends the info back to you.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

The new EAW Anya uses a similar technology at least in the cabinet, I'm not sure if they're prediction software will also work in the "reverse" way.
EAW Resolution software, and prior generation software has been doing it this way for years, you define the venue, how many boxes you have, constraints of where you can put the speaker array vertically, and it will figure out the ideal configuration for the line array depending on whether you weight things for spectral consistency or sheer output power.  Not just for Anya (which is a pretty cool product BTW).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »

I believe the Meyer MAPP is online only. You need an internet connection for it to work. All the data you put into it gets sent to Meyers' servers and then it sends the info back to you.

The version I'm using right now says "MAPP Online Pro - Standalone [filename.xml]"  Perhaps Meyer uses the word "standalone" to differentiate it from another form of distribution.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »

The version I'm using right now says "MAPP Online Pro - Standalone [filename.xml]"  Perhaps Meyer uses the word "standalone" to differentiate it from another form of distribution.

So does mine right on the desk top, but if you try to make a prediction without an internet connection it won't do anything and give you an error message. "Server not found"

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »

Ideal for those instances when you're in the middle of load in with the riggers standing around looking for direction and the PM just said " oh, yea that beam isn't load rated after all so you'll have to hang your arrays 18 ft downstage from the drawing and take em out another 10 ft.   ::)  Thats when you'll wish you used Vertecs.   ;D

So does mine right on the desk top, but if you try to make a prediction without an internet connection it won't do anything and give you an error message. "Server not found"

Ryan Tolzmann

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »

Ideal for those instances when you're in the middle of load in with the riggers standing around looking for direction and the PM just said " oh, yea that beam isn't load rated after all so you'll have to hang your arrays 18 ft downstage from the drawing and take em out another 10 ft.   ::)  Thats when you'll wish you used Vertecs.   ;D

i'm using 8 boxes per side of meyer m'elodie..
Ryan Tolzmann
Freelance Audio Engineer

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »

i'm using 8 boxes per side of meyer m'elodie..

You missed the point of his reply.

The Meyer software is online only. LAC II that JBL uses doesn't require an internet connection to see whats happening with the software.

Every other software that I have come across doesn't require an internet connection....D&B, LAC, EAW, Outline.....

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »

Every other software that I have come across doesn't require an internet connection....D&B, LAC, EAW, Outline.....

It is no problem to run at least the Java version of MAPP "offline", it will let you design your array and show resulting pickpoints, loads, etc. As already mentioned all the predictions are done on their server, so without internet connection there is no "coloured picture".
On the opposite side the time needed to calculate a prediction in all the other manufacturers solutions in a similar resolution as MAPP does still is excessive on "common" laptops.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.