ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro  (Read 46958 times)

Kevin Graf

Re: My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »

Solder-tinning a stranded wire for use under a screw terminal is a bad idea. With time and temperature changes the solder will cold-flow and allow the screw to loosen.  Also with a flexible wire, where the solder-tinning ends a hard spot will be created. With continued flexing the strands may break one at a time.

On another note, never attach a Safety Ground wire by solder alone.  Under ground fault conditions, the high current can create so much heat that the solder will melt.
Speedskater

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:27 AM »

With a light amount it seems to deform quite easily in the cup though it still holds together.  It seems no worse than using a solid core conductor.  Am I wrong?

After seeing what can happen with tinned AC leads, I'm happier to just deal with the slightly more tedious process of stuffing all those strands in the terminal.  So far, the only failures I've had with PowerCons have been the older latches, and the outer barrel can be replaced without doing anything to the wires.  Although you might as well tighten them up (with a Pozidrive No. 1 screwdriver) while you have it apart.

GTD

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »

The 12/3 does fit, it just requires some time and attention on each conductor.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »

Just keeping my power distribution journey archive updated! My O.A. Windsor PowerCon quads arrived, I'm super happy about it. The box feels excellent. As I mentioned on another thread they seem extremely rugged, professionally built boxes. Ken will definitely be getting more of my business!

George Dougherty

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 12:17:17 AM »

With a light amount it seems to deform quite easily in the cup though it still holds together.  It seems no worse than using a solid core conductor.  Am I wrong?

Thanks everyone for correcting my bad habits.  I'll have to go back and check my power cabling.

On a similar note, is it also a bad idea for speakons?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 01:51:43 AM »

I think the correct equivalent "hard end" for stranded power cables is a bootlace ferrule.  Google will find you some pictures.

There are no problems doing your solder thing with speakons.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 03:53:12 AM »

There are no problems doing your solder thing with speakons.

Perhaps no real safety problem, but the physical connection problem (surface area of contact) should persist.
Mark McFarlane

Lyle Williams

« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:40 AM »

The surface area of the contact will be plenty big enough.

Solder is banned under electrical codes to prevent people from building wiring that falls apart when hot - really they are trying to prevent people from having solder-dependent joints.

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »

Perhaps no real safety problem, but the physical connection problem (surface area of contact) should persist.

And they loosen up easily over time. There's a difference in the mechanics of the connection when the little metal tab gets pushed against the wire strands, when its a matrix of solder/copper, it's much stiffer and doesn't create the same sort of physical conditions in the joint.

Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »

The surface area of the contact will be plenty big enough.

Solder is banned under electrical codes to prevent people from building wiring that falls apart when hot - really they are trying to prevent people from having solder-dependent joints.
The surface area will be big enough initially, but as was mentioned somewhere upthread, solder flows, and the joint will loosen.  Thou shalt not solder wire destined for clamp-type terminals. 

There's no upside to tinning - I have made hundreds of Speakon/Powercon/NEMA/whatever connections with stranded wire, and after about the first 3 plugs, got the hang of it with very few straggling strands. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:29:22 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 09:25:43 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.