ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro  (Read 46948 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:10:08 AM »

I'm getting ready to put together my own build of the "poormans" PowerCON Distro that has been discussed here and linked from here:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,91739.0.html

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/BarDistro/BarDistro.htm

I'm preparing to invest in some new powered boxes with PowerCON, so this seams an ideal time time to move over to this type of system. When with my rig I'm always running off 1-4 local 15-20 amp circuits, or I'm getting run a couple similar circuits from a distro in a bigger rig. I don't have any single device that can draw more than 15 amps. I like that I will be able to power my wedges, stage power and etc in the same way to the distro box every time, then reconfigure some jumpers and run a couple long leads to quickly configure the best distribution of power from the site.  I'll also being getting new stage power and etc - I'm currently looking at OA Windsor. 

From everything I've read, this looks fairly straight forward to put together. That said - I have not done a lot of DIY and it'll be in many ways a new experience. I'm hoping that this thread can help me vet some of the parts I buy and the quality of the final product.

I'm planning on a 4 in, 12 out panel with all 16 holes lined right up on a 1U panel face something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Elcom-R1269-1UK-16/dp/B005H3OVQ4
and a second panel with just 1 inlet and perhaps 8 outlets, similar to the above. This is just what came up on a quick google search. It seems something with a box on it like in Rob's design would be ideal, but I was having trouble figuring out the search terms to find something. Any suggestions?

Parts Express has what appears to be the parts I need for the panel:

Inlet
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3mpa-1-powercon-chassis-connector-power-in-blue--092-284
Outlet
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3mpb-powercon-chassis-connector-power-out-gray--092-286

and for the cables:

NAC3FCA
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3fca-powercon-cable-connector-power-in-blue--092-280
NAC3FCB
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3fcb-powercon-cable-connector-power-out-gray--092-282

12-3 SJ/SO-OOW should be appropriate cable for everything, correct? I've put some together but never bought it myself. This from Parts Express looks about right, but I'd appreciate suggestions on where (and what) to buy this as well as connectors and etc.
http://www.parts-express.com/carol-12-awg-3c-sjoow-power-cable-250-ft--100-579

I plan to build my main feeder cables with powercon at the distro and NEMA 15-20p on the other end - and I'll tie on a 15-20r to 15-15p adapter on the end of it.

Any general advice? I'm very open to suggestion and direction. Thanks in advance!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »

The purpose of the "poor man's distro" is to have all grounds at the same potential.  If you don't have issues with hum or buzz now, the only benefit is from having a central patch point for loads.  You're still running 12/3 to 4 separate circuits...

Your proposed 1 unit, 16 hole strip will likely be very, very tight.  If you look closely at the photo you'll notice that there isn't much metal between holes.  Now think about the wiring you have to do...  I don't remember how Padrick addressed the need for this to be fully inclosed (all 6 sides), preferably in steel (and don't forget to ground the box).  Code also limits the number of conductors and connections within a box based on the cubic volume of the box and the size of the conductors.

NEMA 15-20 is for 3 phase/250v service

Did you mean NEMA 5-20?

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 07:55:25 AM »

I'm getting ready to put together my own build of the "poormans" PowerCON Distro that has been discussed here and linked from here:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,91739.0.html

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/BarDistro/BarDistro.htm

I'm preparing to invest in some new powered boxes with PowerCON, so this seams an ideal time time to move over to this type of system. When with my rig I'm always running off 1-4 local 15-20 amp circuits, or I'm getting run a couple similar circuits from a distro in a bigger rig. I don't have any single device that can draw more than 15 amps. I like that I will be able to power my wedges, stage power and etc in the same way to the distro box every time, then reconfigure some jumpers and run a couple long leads to quickly configure the best distribution of power from the site.  I'll also being getting new stage power and etc - I'm currently looking at OA Windsor. 

From everything I've read, this looks fairly straight forward to put together. That said - I have not done a lot of DIY and it'll be in many ways a new experience. I'm hoping that this thread can help me vet some of the parts I buy and the quality of the final product.

I'm planning on a 4 in, 12 out panel with all 16 holes lined right up on a 1U panel face something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Elcom-R1269-1UK-16/dp/B005H3OVQ4
and a second panel with just 1 inlet and perhaps 8 outlets, similar to the above. This is just what came up on a quick google search. It seems something with a box on it like in Rob's design would be ideal, but I was having trouble figuring out the search terms to find something. Any suggestions?

Parts Express has what appears to be the parts I need for the panel:

Inlet
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3mpa-1-powercon-chassis-connector-power-in-blue--092-284
Outlet
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3mpb-powercon-chassis-connector-power-out-gray--092-286

and for the cables:

NAC3FCA
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3fca-powercon-cable-connector-power-in-blue--092-280
NAC3FCB
http://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nac3fcb-powercon-cable-connector-power-out-gray--092-282

12-3 SJ/SO-OOW should be appropriate cable for everything, correct? I've put some together but never bought it myself. This from Parts Express looks about right, but I'd appreciate suggestions on where (and what) to buy this as well as connectors and etc.
http://www.parts-express.com/carol-12-awg-3c-sjoow-power-cable-250-ft--100-579

I plan to build my main feeder cables with powercon at the distro and NEMA 15-20p on the other end - and I'll tie on a 15-20r to 15-15p adapter on the end of it.

Any general advice? I'm very open to suggestion and direction. Thanks in advance!
I built a 4-circuit 3 output box (16 Powercons on the panel) as described in your thread and really like it.  Some thoughts:

- You must enclose this!  Bare Powercons on the inside of a rack are really dangerous.  Unfortunately, this isn't trivial, as I've never seen an enclosure with the Neutrik-style punched front.  I made my own on my Bridgeport milling machine.  I don't find it particularly hard to get the connectors in and outduring use, but I will say that unless you have some automated means of making the holes, it's very likely you'll end up with a 15-Powercon fill when you're done - the spacing must be very precise or it won't fit.  A 12-socket will be a lot easier to make.

- Conductor fill count - as far as I can tell, NEC table 314.16(B) says you need 2.25 in^3 per conductor.  32 of them requires 72 in^3, which is plenty fine for a 1U 6" deep or greater box.  That all being said, this requirement in this situation is BS - we're not wadding conductors in a junction box - you've got good access, and will not have trouble if you do a neat job.

- THHN wire on the inside is a good idea - it has good abrasion resistance, and can be bent at nice angles, so it's easy to make your wiring neat.

- Definitely use 12-ga wire for everything.

- Some of the other examples used jumper-style wiring to the next Powercon.  I found that very difficult to do (particularly with 16 in a panel), and did mine pigtail style to a screw terminal block.  I soldered the pigtails before mounting the Powercon sockets to the box.  I am in the solder camp for the Powercon tabs, and I used spade connectors at the other end of the pigtails, also soldered.

- I used a breaker panel-style ground bus bar for all of the grounds.  That worked well, and is a simple way to ground your enclosure at the same time.

- Unless you have pre-existing Powercon cabling, I would suggest you look at the new True-1 Powercon stuff - same panel size I believe, but with some really nice features - sort of what Powercon should have been in the first place.

- All of my cabling uses 5-15P -> 5-20R.  I have some devices - my ITechs and dimmer packs - that require a 20R, and this is a great way to provide that. 

- Mine lives in my amp rack.  I like it there, as I can easily configure how the amps go to multiple circuits.  I have sliced the Edison plug off of several C13/C19 cables and replaced with Powercon at the length required for my rack, and it's a nice, clean way to distribuite power.

/end PMD brain dump.

- edit - Oops - another round of brain diarhhea - Middle Atlantic makes enclosed rack boxes: http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/chassis/chassis.htm#2

- My main extension cables are all 12/3 SOOW.  NEC 520.68 requires extra-hard service (SOOW or SEOW) cabling for portable stage use.  There are some exemptions, but it's too early in the morning for me to look them all up.  If you want to be sure you're covered, make all your cabling SOOW if it's ever going to be on the floor.   

- This goes without saying, but you're building a non-listed device.  A really anal inspector may call you on that, but IMO that's really unlikely, as if you do a nice job in constructing it, it will look like a manufactured piece of equipment and won't raise any flags, unlike a home load-center on a piece of plywod.   If this bothers you, build the other version of the PMD - 4 rack-mount strips with paint scraped off the backs of the rack ears and the rails.  You'll accomplish the same grounding objective without modifying gear, at the cost of a 4U (or whatever size you make) rack and some lack of coolness. 

- As much as I am usually a code stickler, the PowerCon PMD is one thing that I'm very comfortable with - if it's done correctly, neatly, and in a good enclosure.  The beauty of it is there is no switching, no OCPD, or anything required as the device is all 20A 120V, and requires no fancy power available at the venue, yet it offers a lot of the benefits of a high-current distro with regards to reducing ground issues.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:15:58 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

The purpose of the "poor man's distro" is to have all grounds at the same potential.  If you don't have issues with hum or buzz now, the only benefit is from having a central patch point for loads.  You're still running 12/3 to 4 separate circuits...

Hum and buzz are definitely issues when running my small PA around town, so that is an upside for me. I expect a central patch point for loads will simplify setup and add consistency to deploying my rig. The other benefit for my rig is that I'm about to replace all my powered boxes with ones that have powerCON, so it seems to make sense to move to a system based on that. More on that in my response to Mr. Cornish.

Your proposed 1 unit, 16 hole strip will likely be very, very tight.  If you look closely at the photo you'll notice that there isn't much metal between holes.  Now think about the wiring you have to do...  I don't remember how Padrick addressed the need for this to be fully inclosed (all 6 sides), preferably in steel (and don't forget to ground the box).  Code also limits the number of conductors and connections within a box based on the cubic volume of the box and the size of the conductors.

I definitely want to fully enclose it - I'm looking for suggestions on that issue. Looks like Mr. Cornish has linked me to something, I'll be looking into that for sure. That link was a quick google link to something where the faceplate just looked right. Speaking of the faceplate - fitting 16 plugs on one faceplate was based on Rob Spence's design in the PSW thread I linked. It looked like he managed it ok - were you thinking it'll be hard to wire on the back, or that the powerCON connectors will be too close for easy field use?

NEMA 15-20 is for 3 phase/250v service
Did you mean NEMA 5-20?

I definitely meant that, my mistake!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »

I built a 4-circuit 3 output box (16 Powercons on the panel) as described in your thread and really like it.  Some thoughts:

- You must enclose this!  Bare Powercons on the inside of a rack are really dangerous.  Unfortunately, this isn't trivial, as I've never seen an enclosure with the Neutrik-style punched front.  I made my own on my Bridgeport milling machine.  I don't find it particularly hard to get the connectors in and outduring use, but I will say that unless you have some automated means of making the holes, it's very likely you'll end up with a 15-Powercon fill when you're done - the spacing must be very precise or it won't fit.  A 12-socket will be a lot easier to make.

I definitely want to enclose it. My friend suggested perhaps the opposite solution - getting a faceplate with D Series holes, then riveting a case onto it. I could get one of those mid-atlantic cases, cut the back of the case off, then rivet it to the punched front. What do you think? I'll also keep looking, maybe it exists pre-made. Maybe EWI could make it for me?

- THHN wire on the inside is a good idea - it has good abrasion resistance, and can be bent at nice angles, so it's easy to make your wiring neat.
- Definitely use 12-ga wire for everything.

Understood. Any suggestions on where to buy this stuff, or how much I should expect it to cost? Does that Carol Cable roll look about right?

- Unless you have pre-existing Powercon cabling, I would suggest you look at the new True-1 Powercon stuff - same panel size I believe, but with some really nice features - sort of what Powercon should have been in the first place.

I looked at True-1, it does seem better than original powerCON by design. However, from what I understand it is not backwards compatible in any way with original powerCON, and I'm about to buy these powered boxes with original powerCON. It would seem to defeat some of the purpose to not move to one connector systemwide. Am I understanding this correctly?

My main extension cables are all 12/3 SOOW.  NEC 520.68 requires extra-hard service (SOOW or SEOW) cabling for portable stage use.  There are some exemptions, but it's too early in the morning for me to look them all up.  If you want to be sure you're covered, make all your cabling SOOW if it's ever going to be on the floor.   

I'm not very familiar with all these SOOW and etc cable ratings. I've only just begun to learn about it. So the SJOOW I linked is an inappropriate cable? Do you have any suggestions on where to buy this? I'd love a link to something. I'd love if there is somewhere I could get all the powerCON plugs and etc, as well as the 12/3.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »

PS - Can anyone explain why I see some pre-made powerCON and powerCON to Edison cables made with 14-3? This confuses me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »

PS - Can anyone explain why I see some pre-made powerCON and powerCON to Edison cables made with 14-3? This confuses me.

14 ga wire is suitable for 15 amp devices (like the NEMA 5-15 that we use almost everywhere in the USA).

The presence of the letter "J" in a portable cord description means "Junior hard-service".  Code requires "extra-hard service" ratings for feeders and stage cabling.  The absence of the "J" means the cord is "extra."  From a practical standpoint this means both the conductor insulation and the outer cable jacket are thicker and hence the outside diameter of extra-hard services cords is greater.  SO, SOOW, SOW, SEOOW, SC and a couple others are acceptable.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:43:29 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
My build of a "poormans" PowerCON Distro
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »

Understood. Any recommendations for where I can buy this sort of cable? I think I'd like to opt towards the lighter end of whatever is up to code. Weight and space matter especially in my little rig.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:37:57 PM by Samuel Rees »

John Fruits

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 12:20:30 PM »

The "J" in the cable you listed stands for Junior service, and it is not quite as heavy duty as SO type cable.  SJ cable is allowed for short runs for such things as power input cables (sometimes called whips or tails), and for twofers.  Also, I have been told my numerous people, that when talking about adaptor cables, you name the male end first. 
Full Compass also sells the Neutrik powercon items.   For cable, since it is bulky and heavy look into local sources.  There are many "to the trade" electrical wholesalers who will sell to anyone. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »

Understood. Any recommendations for where I can buy this sort of cable? I think I'd like to opt towards the lighter end of whatever is up to code. Weight and space matter especially in my little rig.

Elastomer-jacketed cables tend to be lighter weight.  That's the "E" in SEOOW.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.