ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mystery subwoofers  (Read 6463 times)

Gus Housen

mystery subwoofers
« on: December 12, 2013, 11:26:33 PM »

So a local church went bankrupt and lost their building so I made a bulk buy.

along with various amplifiers and other items, I

some subwoofers who I suspect are a locally made copy of something but I am not sure what, can anyone shed any light in these Subs?

chuck clark

Re: mystery subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »

Might be a custom build.  I've been doing sound for over 30 yrs and I'm stumped!
Lots of clam shell boxes out there. Reminds me of Community VLF 218's or EAW SB1000's or old Peavey HDH 218's- all clamshell designs and there are many others, but I've never seen anything quite like that!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:31:29 AM »

Might be a custom build.  I've been doing sound for over 30 yrs and I'm stumped!
Lots of clam shell boxes out there. Reminds me of Community VLF 218's or EAW SB1000's or old Peavey HDH 218's- all clamshell designs and there are many others, but I've never seen anything quite like that!
I would say a custom build also-mainly because the port area is way to small for that size woofer.

It will end up being choked off at even moderate levels so the box will behave more like a sealed box.

Maybe more of somebody buidling something they  think looks cool-rather than something that actually works.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »

Aw, c'mon, Ivan, that never ever happens, right?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »

I would say a custom build also-mainly because the port area is way to small for that size woofer.

It will end up being choked off at even moderate levels so the box will behave more like a sealed box.

Maybe more of somebody buidling something they  think looks cool-rather than something that actually works.
Those speakers look like they could be quite old, "V" loading has been around since the 1970s.
Old 18's often have less than 1/3 the excursion and power handling as modern woofers, and therefore require only a fraction of the port area.
Used within the power level appropriate for  many old 3-5 mm Xmax 18" (and most cheap current 18"), those ports would not have excessive velocity.

The port area is consistent with many manufacturers using speakers with moderate Xmax, similar in size to the first "old school" sub that came to mind.
If anything, the Meyers HP 650-R2 (and many other old "pro" designs) has smaller ports.

I do agree they probably are a custom build.

Gus Housen

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »

So I was told this might be a copy of a late 90's incarnation of acoustic control corp. subwoofer its loaded with a Selenium Wpu1805

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »

So I was told this might be a copy of a late 90's incarnation of acoustic control corp. subwoofer its loaded with a Selenium Wpu1805

FWIW -- link to the spec PDF:

http://www.pam-pro.se/files/dbfiles/shopdoc_wooferwpu05_wpu1805_wpu1805-slf_2.pdf

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

Just looking at the grill kind of makes it look home made.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.