ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a crossover?  (Read 5464 times)

Justin Smith

Do I need a crossover?
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »

Hello all,

I am fairly new to live sound systems and I am going to try to start DJing more as I attend college. I have a quick question for adding more to my setup. Currently, I have a Numark iDJ Pro, two Behringer VP2520s, and a Behringer EP4000 amp. I am planning on adding a Behringer VP1800S subwoofer; however, I am not sure if I need an external crossover or not. My plan was to run the two VP2520s daisy-chained on one channel of the amp and the subwoofer on the second channel of the amp. Would this work without an external crossover? Any information about this setup would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
Re: Do I need a crossover?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »

Hello all,

I am fairly new to live sound systems and I am going to try to start DJing more as I attend college. I have a quick question for adding more to my setup. Currently, I have a Numark iDJ Pro, two Behringer VP2520s, and a Behringer EP4000 amp. I am planning on adding a Behringer VP1800S subwoofer; however, I am not sure if I need an external crossover or not. My plan was to run the two VP2520s daisy-chained on one channel of the amp and the subwoofer on the second channel of the amp. Would this work without an external crossover? Any information about this setup would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Yes you need an active Xover.  The Behringer Super X Pro CX2310 would work perfect for your application.  This xover provides a mono subwoofer output, and you can high pass your loudspeakers from the right and left channel out of the xover to the amp.
Use the high pass filter on the EP4000 at 30hz for the subwoofer side
of the amp, and bypass the HPF on the amp for the main loudspeakers.
Start with 100hz for your tops and sub.

Justin Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »

Yes you need an active Xover.  The Behringer Super X Pro CX2310 would work perfect for your application.  This xover provides a mono subwoofer output, and you can high pass your loudspeakers from the right and left channel out of the xover to the amp.

Thanks so much! That information helps a lot and that is actually the exact crossover I was looking at as well.

Justin Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

If you don't mind, are you able to point me in the right direction for the connections? Assuming I will be using channel 1 on the amp for the loudspeakers and channel 2 on the amp for the sub, do I just connect the sub output on the crossover to channel 2 on the amp and the high outputs on the crossover to channel 1 on the amp? From what I understand, the loudspeakers I currently use carry highs and mids.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

From what I understand, the loudspeakers I currently use carry highs and mids.

Not exactly.  Those speakers, like most "top" cabinets in a PA, can reproduce the full range of human hearing (or try to).  The weak part is in reproducing the extreme low frequencies, hence a subwoofer is usually added.  By high-passing the tops (cutting off the extreme lows), they are able to perform a better job on the remaining frequencies, leaving the subs to do the extreme LF.  This is where a crossover is most helpful.  It not only high-passes the frequencies to the tops but also low-passes the frequencies to the subwoofer.

If you only have a two-channel amplifier and want to use one channel for the sub(s), then you will have to make a choice for the tops.  Do you want to run just the left or right channel, thereby losing stereo information (there is usually not much of it)?  Or do you want to combine the left and right signals to mono and then send that to the remaining amp channel.  Either way you will not have a stereo image.  Personally, I would recommend mixing to mono; at least you will be reproducing all of the music (do a forum search for methods of doing this).  When you get a few bucks together, buy a second amplifier and use one amplifier (even if only one channel) for the sub and the other amplifier for L-R stereo for the tops.
Note: DO NOT use a Y-cable to combine left and right outputs to get a mono mix.  That is the wrong way to do it.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 05:42:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.