ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A thought on the previous post  (Read 1163 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: A thought on the previous post
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:03:31 pm »

Too many people seem to look at audio and AV systems as "equipment" they purchase rather than as solutions to help effectively serve their goals and vision.  And it is way too common to find churches trying to purchase new audio systems without having any good idea of why they are doing so, what their expectations are for those systems or how they plan to implement them, they seem to believe that simply implementing new technology will inherently result in an improvement and there are plenty of vendors more than willing to support that perspective.

Thus I am a firm advocate of starting any discussion of church audio with first discussing the situation and goals as those should be what drive any actual equipment or technology decisions.

This may be particularly noticeable in the HOW market, but it is common across all markets. The first thing to discuss is the goal, till then there is no way to define a solution.

Too often a solution is implemented as a black box (little sound go in, big sound come out) without the end user having an understanding of how to use it. Anyone can drive a race car, only certain people can drive it fast.

Any proposed solution, in addition to the equipment, must also consider operation and maintenance. The operation aspect of that solution will require that the end user understand how it works and be able to use it as designed. Often that means you'll need a trained operator, either through formal education or self-study. That represents an expense that's often overlooked.

If a church board budgets a large sum to purchase audio equipment and installation services, has it also budgeted proper training in live audio production beyond the sales reps' "here's how you turn it on" seminar? If not, dissatisfaction will likely occur.

If the church has their staff (either paid or volunteer) properly trained prior to purchasing new equipment, they may find that the performance and usability of the existing stuff improves, and the staff will be better equipped to determine the best solution forward and use any new equipment to the greatest advantage. As time and technology progress, "professional development" training will be necessary.

There's also the need to budget for maintenance, from regular service of equipment to replacement of failed parts. That's another thing that often ends up being reactive rather than proactive. You end up wondering where the money went rather than telling it where to go. When budgeting for a new system, the maintenance budget will also likely need to be replaced.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve M Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »

As I was reading the previous post about the church with a SD-5, I was thinking, again, how many churches I have seen that go out and buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of high end gear

I wonder how churches manage to afford it.  Over here (England) our churches have trouble trying to raise enough money to mend their leaking roof or other minor building repairs.

Steve.

Jonathan Johnson

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 01:45:02 am »

I wonder how churches manage to afford it.  Over here (England) our churches have trouble trying to raise enough money to mend their leaking roof or other minor building repairs.

I think in general churches in the US are doing better in the membership department than churches in Europe.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:35 pm »

Steve.
Perhaps you got the wrong impression.  The majority of churches do not "go out and buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of high end gear."  Not by a long shot.  This isn't to say it doesn't happen, but it isn't commonplace.  What's more the norm for the typical church?  Not budgeting near enough and/or hiring professionals.

I can relate to your experience.  My first church was in England (Bicester, OX) and I don't think they had two 2p to rub together.  I've been involved in the small to medium-sized churches in the U.S. for the past 20+ years and getting any budget usually proves difficult.  That is more the norm in my experience.  And I know I'm not alone.  For anyone who's been reading HOW posts for any length of time will know that no budget/under budget is a common issue with churches in the U.S.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.