ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems connecting DM1000 to Studio Manager  (Read 10519 times)

Paul Frith

Problems connecting DM1000 to Studio Manager
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »

Hey All,

I am trying to get a Yamaha DM1000 to connect to Studio Manager on a laptop running Windows 7 64bit, and am struggling to get it fully integrated.

In Studio Manager, I can see that the meters are working, but I get no feed back from the console as to any other settings - e.g. what positions my faders are in, what has been assigned to remote layers 1 & 2 etc. In addition, when I try and synchronize the DM1000 with Studio Manager the synchronization stops at 3%.

Attached are 3 screen grabs, the first 2 show my settings in Studio Manager and the 3rd shows the synchronization failed message. I have also attached a photo of the DM1000 settings page as I currently have it.

I thank you in advance for your replies

Paul Frith.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Problems connecting DM1000 to Studio Manager
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »

Hey All,

I am trying to get a Yamaha DM1000 to connect to Studio Manager on a laptop running Windows 7 64bit, and am struggling to get it fully integrated.

In Studio Manager, I can see that the meters are working, but I get no feed back from the console as to any other settings - e.g. what positions my faders are in, what has been assigned to remote layers 1 & 2 etc. In addition, when I try and synchronize the DM1000 with Studio Manager the synchronization stops at 3%.

Attached are 3 screen grabs, the first 2 show my settings in Studio Manager and the 3rd shows the synchronization failed message. I have also attached a photo of the DM1000 settings page as I currently have it.

Make sure that you have the latest versions of the firmware and software, or at least that the versions you have are compatible. You can find this info on the Yamaha site.

Why do you have all that stuff assigned to USB ports? If you are not using them, turn them off.

Mac

Paul Frith

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »

Make sure that you have the latest versions of the firmware and software, or at least that the versions you have are compatible. You can find this info on the Yamaha site.

Why do you have all that stuff assigned to USB ports? If you are not using them, turn them off.

Mac

Hey Mac,

Thank you for your reply.

Interestingly I have downloaded the latest firmware, but the firmware is unable to install, as it can't make a connection to the DM1000 (even though Studio Manager clearly has a connection of some kind). I will however continue looking into this, to see if I can update it - as that was my first thought as well.

With regards to why I have assigned so many USB - this is me trying to get the connection to work in the first place!. From reading the instructions, it seems that the only thing that should be set is Studio Manager in Special Functions - however I got nothing from Studio Manager with just this. I then tried adding a USB to the Receive and Transmit in General section, and Studio Manager started working. I then wondered if I needed Machine control or DAW enabled in order to get Studio Manager to fully work (basically you are watching me stabbing in the dark!).

If you could let me know which ones need to be enabled I would be most grateful. Also any thoughts on why I can't get the firmware to update - I'm currently on version 2.02?

Cheers,

Paul.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 12:08:02 PM »

From reading the instructions, it seems that the only thing that should be set is Studio Manager in Special Functions - however I got nothing from Studio Manager with just this. I then tried adding a USB to the Receive and Transmit in General section, and Studio Manager started working. I then wondered if I needed Machine control or DAW enabled in order to get Studio Manager to fully work (basically you are watching me stabbing in the dark!).

You should only have Studio Manager set to USB, and a USB A-B cable between the computer and the console.

Check on THIS PAGE to see what versions of firmware and software are compatible with each other.

The other option is to call Yamaha tech support. They have always been very helpful for me.

Mac

Paul Frith

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

You should only have Studio Manager set to USB, and a USB A-B cable between the computer and the console.

Check on THIS PAGE to see what versions of firmware and software are compatible with each other.

The other option is to call Yamaha tech support. They have always been very helpful for me.

Mac

Hey Mac

Thanks for the link - it looks like my problem is with the DM1000's current firmware (2.02) is not being compatible with Studio Manager 2.3.1. There's currently an event in full swing here, but I will take another look once they're finished to see if I can get the firmware up to date. Will report back my findings.

Thanks again for your replies on this.

Cheers,

Paul

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »

Hey Mac

Thanks for the link - it looks like my problem is with the DM1000's current firmware (2.02) is not being compatible with Studio Manager 2.3.1. There's currently an event in full swing here, but I will take another look once they're finished to see if I can get the firmware up to date. Will report back my findings.

Thanks again for your replies on this.

Cheers,

Paul

IIRC you dont need Studio Manager to update firmware on a DM1000, just a working USB connection.  I've updated several 01v96 mixers to vII from a notebook computer without Studio Manager installed...

If you want to experiment, Yamaha offers previous versions of Studio Manager and the DM1000 Editor for download.  No changes to the desk until you're back in the shop. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 10:48:56 PM »

No changes to the desk until you're back in the shop. :)
Yup, that's an important one - don't want to brick the console and then be forced to use the 1202 for 20 wireless kits...  ;)
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Paul Frith

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 09:56:15 AM »

So I have been in a bit of a chicken and egg situation...

According to Yamaha I couldn't update the firmware without losing all my user settings (and there are a lot!), but I also couldn't connect to studio manager without updating the firmware - which I needed to do in order to back up my user settings (although Yamaha supply early versions of Studio Manager - none were  compatible with my firmware).

To resolve this, I went old school and did a sys exclusive data dump into a DAW so that user settings were saved, and then updated the firmware. It turns out (at least in my case) that this didn't erase all my settings, so I was able to plug straight into Studio Manager, and Bob's your Aunties Brother, everything worked perfectly.

Thank you to everyone who has inputted to this thread, I am now up and running and extremely happy!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »

So I have been in a bit of a chicken and egg situation...

According to Yamaha I couldn't update the firmware without losing all my user settings (and there are a lot!), but I also couldn't connect to studio manager without updating the firmware - which I needed to do in order to back up my user settings (although Yamaha supply early versions of Studio Manager - none were  compatible with my firmware).

To resolve this, I went old school and did a sys exclusive data dump into a DAW so that user settings were saved, and then updated the firmware. It turns out (at least in my case) that this didn't erase all my settings, so I was able to plug straight into Studio Manager, and Bob's your Aunties Brother, everything worked perfectly.

Thank you to everyone who has inputted to this thread, I am now up and running and extremely happy!

Paul, you can download earlier versions of Studio Manager and the DM1000 editor.  They will see your mixer as-is, which is what I was referring to in my earlier post.  It was not necessary to do a sysex dump.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Paul Frith

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »

Paul, you can download earlier versions of Studio Manager and the DM1000 editor.  They will see your mixer as-is, which is what I was referring to in my earlier post.  It was not necessary to do a sysex dump.

Hey Tim,

As alluded to in my previous post - unfortunately the earliest version of Studio Manager that Yamaha offer for download is 2.1.7 - this is not compatible with my firmware (as was) which was 2.0.2 - hence the need for an alternate solution. If you know a location where you can download earlier versions of the software and the firmware, it might be worth adding a link to this thread as an alternate solution for anyone having the same issue.

Cheers,

Paul

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:57:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.