ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"  (Read 2111 times)

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Re: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:18:12 am »

So I guess I missed the boat on this.... I should have not turned off the near-continuous Mandela coverage.

Bah, humbug.  Will there be a re-broadcast?
Not live!    ::)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:28 am »

Everything was decidedly mediocre.

That "Warehouse on Long Island" is a pretty $ca-ching$ soundstage in an NYC suburb. It is a converted plant where my Silver Star Medalist/ D-Day-Sherman-Tank (rubberized canvas pontoons in the English Channel mind you) driving father helped assemble the Lunar Module for Grumman, and all of us.

Facility/location/ghosts had no influence on the performance.

Ryan C. Davis

• Salt Lake City, Ut
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:23:28 pm »

I didn't care for it at all. Shoulda never done it live/ at all. Carrie underwood = great singer and a bad actress. It just wreaked of a bad soap opera to me.
Ryan Davis

Gordon Waugh

gordonwaugh@mac.com
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

Please, for the the love of all that is holy,

Especially when there are nuns involved!

I hear the noise as well. It's probably the highest noise level I have heard on television--at least for shows produced after 1965. I am guessing a S/N ratio of about 45 db. I have Verizon FIOS, and I am watching my TiVo's recording. The commercials have no audible noise at all.
Gordon Waugh

Art Welter

Re: gordonwaugh@mac.com
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »

Especially when there are nuns involved!

I hear the noise as well. It's probably the highest noise level I have heard on television--at least for shows produced after 1965. I am guessing a S/N ratio of about 45 db. I have Verizon FIOS, and I am watching my TiVo's recording. The commercials have no audible noise at all.
The noise was pretty terrible here, way worse than local news programs (which can be pretty bad in New Mexico, especially during holidays when the "B" squad takes over) while the commercials were dead clean, and as usual, louder average level.
45 dB S/N might be optimistic, looking at an RTA inserted on my home theater system during some of the dialog looked almost like compressed pink noise, the fundamental voice frequencies only popping 6 dB or so above a "wall" of noise. Could not see "esses" above the noise on some of the dialog.
Although I have heard bad noise levels on many other broadcasts, this was the first I recall actually clearly seeing it on the Alesis GEQ830 RTA, which only has a 24 dB "window".

Art

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 03:33:31 pm »

Broadcast Mix Engineer, Network Distribution Audio Engineer, or Nashville affiliate Station Engineer:

Please, for the the love of all that is holy, BACK OFF THE MIX BUS LIMITER INPUT!  The noise floor is as high as the dialogue, is audible during CHORAL performance, sounds like pink noise crosstalk, and is ruining what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular performance.

Every scene, no matter which characters are performing.  It's not a wireless problem and it's not a faulty input.

This must have been a distribution issue, because it was not there on my TV watching Cablevision in the NY suburbs. I could hear the crew moving and talking in the background however. All the mixing was done by the broadcast mixer, and not by a theater sound mixer. Mics were often open even when the actor was not in a scene. On Broadway mics are only turned on while an actor is speaking, even to the point of alternating mics in a conversation.

I don't know, but I assume the music was all tracks, so it seems it should not have been hard to keep the vocals more on top.

A lot of criticism I have read in other media complains about how it didn't meet the standard of the "original", the Julie Andrews film. I guess those folks have forgotten that the film was a remake of the original stage production.

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »

A lot of criticism I have read in other media complains about how it didn't meet the standard of the "original", the Julie Andrews film. I guess those folks have forgotten that the film was a remake of the original stage production.

Mac

I can't disagree with all the negative reviews of the acting, but I thought the singing was spot-on, and I enjoyed it very much.  I can forgive a bit of stiff dialogue for those wonderful songs.

I think this sort of backlash is inevitable when the play and film are such iconic and widely hailed productions.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »

Not live!    ::)
I did not see this-so have no direct opinion.

HOWEVER I was talking to a friend who watched it and he was commenting about how the sound of the mic changed (due to combfiltering) when actors would walk up next to walls.

And then as they pulled away-it got clearer.

I HIGHLY doubt most people would think of making the sound worse-just to make it appear real.

Why do YOU say it wasn't live?  Any proof or reasons?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

HOWEVER I was talking to a friend who watched it and he was commenting about how the sound of the mic changed (due to combfiltering) when actors would walk up next to walls.

I HIGHLY doubt most people would think of making the sound worse-just to make it appear real.

Ivan, the "not live" comment was in response to Tim's question about whether it would be rebroadcast. By definition a rebroadcast is not live.

Mac

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:11:13 pm »

I was responding to Tim McC's question, "Will there be a rebroadcast?"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.