ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"  (Read 11900 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »

Broadcast Mix Engineer, Network Distribution Audio Engineer, or Nashville affiliate Station Engineer:

Please, for the the love of all that is holy, BACK OFF THE MIX BUS LIMITER INPUT!  The noise floor is as high as the dialogue, is audible during CHORAL performance, sounds like pink noise crosstalk, and is ruining what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular performance.

Every scene, no matter which characters are performing.  It's not a wireless problem and it's not a faulty input.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:19:05 PM by Jason Glass »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: NBC "The Sound of Music Live!"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »

Broadcast Mix Engineer, Network Distribution Audio Engineer, or Nashville affiliate Station Engineer:

Please, for the the love of all that is holy, BACK OFF THE MIX BUS LIMITER INPUT!  The noise floor is as high as the dialogue, is audible during CHORAL performance, sounds like pink noise crosstalk, and is ruining what is otherwise an absolutely spectacular performance.

Every scene, no matter which characters are performing.  It's not a wireless problem and it's not a faulty input.

Sounds fine here.  Broadcast TV, no cable, no satellite.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »

Sounds fine here.  Broadcast TV, no cable, no satellite.

Hmmm, I'm on DirecTV and listening to Dolby Digital.  It's really, really bad.  We can hear it breathing with the limiting for the last two and a half hours.  At every commercial break I've hoped they would fix it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:35:27 PM by Jason Glass »

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »

Jason I hear it too. Comcast HD feed to a pair of MM4s. But I guess that's what area mics in a warehouse in Long Island sound like.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »

Jason I hear it too. Comcast HD feed to a pair of MM4s. But I guess that's what area mics in a warehouse in Long Island sound like.

Haha! Point taken.  But, did you notice that they had seven RF techs listed in the credits?  When you consider that every performer was surely mic'd, they did an awesome job of hiding the capsules.

BTW, was that your guys doing the gig?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:35:21 PM by Jason Glass »

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:40:22 PM »

Haha! Point taken.  But, did you notice that they had seven RF techs listed in the credits?  When you consider that every performer was probably mic'd, they did an awesome job of hiding the capsules.

They did an amazing job, no question. I saw the occasional wire and didn't see a capsule until Audra turned upstage and it poked out by her ear. Gain before feedback wasn't an issue so they could pull those capsules back farther than they could for a stage production. I'm friends and acquaintances with a few of them but they've been under media black-out so I hope to hear and see what they did soon. There certainly hasn't been anything like this in my lifetime, but I'm a greenhorn.

EDIT: Wasn't us, Jason. I would have loved in be part of the team that got to sink its teeth into that production. Lots of Broadway and NY industrial people on that crew.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 11:57:53 AM by Cameron Stuckey »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »

I'm friends and acquaintances with a few of them but they've been under media black-out so I hope to hear and see what they did soon. There certainly hasn't been anything like this in my lifetime, but I'm a greenhorn.

I'm working with Matt Krause on Monday, I intend to grill him about the production.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »

Doing this show live is incredibly ballsy. And yet few watching will understand why. It's not the performances. The talent can do this this all day and night. But the challenges of making the tech work is the real story that few will know or appreciate

Amazing, professional job.  I'm truly impressed.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:59:01 PM »

I'm working with Matt Krause on Monday, I intend to grill him about the production.

Mac
Could you convince him to post on the forums? I'm probably going to see Charles and Els by the end of the year but that's not soon enough!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »

So I guess I missed the boat on this.... I should have not turned off the near-continuous Mandela coverage.

Bah, humbug.  Will there be a re-broadcast?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:25:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.