ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM80 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX  (Read 18843 times)

John Notestine

Danley SM80 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »

I've asked this question on a couple other forums, but it looks like there are some people here that actually use these two speakers and might be able to help.

The speakers will be used for large school dances, corporate speaking events, and possibly large weddings.  I will use them in a variety of venues including large halls and gyms.  They will be accompanied by two or more JTR Orbit Shifters. 

Which speakers would you go with?

My current thoughts:

Danley SM80 - Wider coverage pattern (80 degrees conical).  Slightly lower continuous output (128dB) vs. 133dB for the JTRs.  1 X 12" coaxial.

JTR Noesis 3TX - Louder speaker for dance music.  Narrower coverage (60 x 40).  10 lbs less per speaker.  True 3-way speaker.  Gives me a full JTR rig.

After adding fly-points to the JTRs the prices are practically identical.  The outdoor version of the SM80 (OS80) is cheaper, but it only comes in white/grey so I am ruling it out.

Thoughts?  Is the narrow coverage pattern of the JTRs a big detriment, especially if I do not plan on adding more speakers?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Danley SM80 vs. JTR Noesis 3TX
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »

I've asked this question on a couple other forums, but it looks like there are some people here that actually use these two speakers and might be able to help.

The speakers will be used for large school dances, corporate speaking events, and possibly large weddings.  I will use them in a variety of venues including large halls and gyms.  They will be accompanied by two or more JTR Orbit Shifters. 

Which speakers would you go with?

My current thoughts:

Danley SM80 - Wider coverage pattern (80 degrees conical).  Slightly lower continuous output (128dB) vs. 133dB for the JTRs.  1 X 12" coaxial.

JTR Noesis 3TX - Louder speaker for dance music.  Narrower coverage (60 x 40).  10 lbs less per speaker.  True 3-way speaker.  Gives me a full JTR rig.

After adding fly-points to the JTRs the prices are practically identical.  The outdoor version of the SM80 (OS80) is cheaper, but it only comes in white/grey so I am ruling it out.

Thoughts?  Is the narrow coverage pattern of the JTRs a big detriment, especially if I do not plan on adding more speakers?

Numbers, damn numbers and statistics...to paraphrase Mark Twain.

How do they sound?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Notestine

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »

Numbers, damn numbers and statistics...to paraphrase Mark Twain.

How do they sound?
That's the problem.  I have heard the SM80s and they sound phenomenal.  I have not hard the JTRs and will not have an opportunity to.  I live in Alaska and no one here has any. 

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »

That's the problem.  I have heard the SM80s and they sound phenomenal.  I have not hard the JTRs and will not have an opportunity to.  I live in Alaska and no one here has any.

Hi John, Using the 3TX exclusively for a while now, powered w/Pl236. I can say Im happy with them. Previous mains were Qrx212s. Ive used 3TX for both rock bands and dance music ( djs, house music, hip-hop) - both inside and out. I use 2 Growlers under each power w/PL6.  Ive build small boxes/lifts to get the 3TXs up higher off 2 subs stacked, w/ratchet straps.

Ive been considering another pair of 3TX for coverage, but have not had the need quite yet. The events I do tend to need the 60 degrees to focus on audience and off the walls, so I see it as an advantage. When I get a wide auditorium type gig, I will be ordering another pair, just have not justified it yet.

The last gig I did an audience member (apparently a vet sound/band person of that room) approached me and was astonished at the sound in the particular room, he had never heard it so good and clear - what are those speakers he exclaimed. 3TX I told him.

After a year, Im still satisfied with the purchase, for my business, these will be my last mains, until I shut down.

The only one thing I can say lacking the 3TX is a lot of heave-ho below 150hz at a distance, and that only because mid/his are so focused on that horn.

Hope this helps,
Mike

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

I would say that the SM80s output is very conservatively rated.

I would not suggest the OS80 (the weatherized version) for portable applications.

Yes it is less expensive-but the first time you try to move it-you will hate it.  It was not designed to be moved around-and as such does not have any place to grab it (water could collect there and cause problems outside). The design was to stand up against weather.  The shape is ot shed water-and as such it does not have a flat side to "stand up" on.  It MUST be mounted to something-so no stacking on top of subs.

You can get other colors-but you need to either pay an upcharge or buy a bunch of cabinets.  It is a pain and expensive to make just a couple custom color units.   Do not think about painting it.  I am not aware (but there may be) of any paint that would stick.

It was designed to placed outside and survive-which means nothing sticking to it.  It is NOT your normal "plastic" cabinet.  It is much stronger-done by a different process to make it stronger and uses a more expensive "plastic".

Basically it would make a bastard portable cabinet.

However you could take the U bracket-have it pointing up and mount the U bracket on a piece of wood-and it is stable that way and you could carry it by the wood.

But I would still prefer the regular SM80 for portable usage-it is much smaller (especially without a stand) and MUCH easier to move around.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »

Yes it is less expensive-but the first time you try to move it-you will hate it.  It was not designed to be moved around-and as such does not have any place to grab it (water could collect there and cause problems outside).
But I would still prefer the regular SM80 for portable usage-it is much smaller (especially without a stand) and MUCH easier to move around.
Having worked with a number of OS80s on an install, I have to agree with Ivan that it would be a bear to move.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John Notestine

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »

Looks like I came to the right place.  It's great to hear from an owner of 3TXs and the designer of the SM80s! 

Ivan-

Thanks for the info on the OS80s.  I was considering a pair after seeing and hearing someone use them as mains.  The bracket system looked like an easy way to fly and direct the speakers, but I am no longer considering them after hearing how cumbersome they would be for mobile work.  Oh - and I would never think of painting a Danley speaker.  That would be like buying a can of paint from home depot for a new car  ;)

You mentioned that the output is very conservatively rated.  I see that their continuous and peak SPL ratings are about 1 dB higher than the SH50s.  Is this noticeable at all, or are they pretty even?  I know they are different beasts (SH50 goes much lower), but I've heard the SH50s at pretty high levels and was quite impressed with the clarity. 

Mike -

Thanks for the information on the 3TX.  I've read your previous review several times.  I'm still leery about the 60 degrees being too narrow for my use.  I will be providing sound for wider venues.  I have other speakers I can use on delays or for side-fill, but we all know how that is not ideal.  I know I have seen some directivity data and diagrams on the Noesis somewhere, but I can't seem to find them again.

The lack of heave-ho below 150 hz should not be an issue.  I will always pair them with subwoofers. 

I'm sure I'd probably be happy with either of these speakers, but this is a large purchase and I want to make sure I get it right for my use.

So - the questions still remains-SM80 or 3TX? 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:16:43 PM by John Notestine »

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »

Having worked with a number of OS80s on an install, I have to agree with Ivan that it would be a bear to move.

Question. I had considered OS80's for portable because I figured:
1. I would always use them on stands... Going up 8-10' and angling seems optimal for many shows I do.
2. They are light.
3. I thought I could rig hooks on the truck wall and hang them by the yokes.
This is why I have TRYING to get a demo!

John Notestine

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »

Question. I had considered OS80's for portable because I figured:
1. I would always use them on stands... Going up 8-10' and angling seems optimal for many shows I do.
2. They are light.
3. I thought I could rig hooks on the truck wall and hang them by the yokes.
This is why I have TRYING to get a demo!
I can tell you I was impressed when I heard them used in a similar fashion.  They were being used for a teacher inservice event in a school gymnasium.  There were about 1000 teachers present.  I walked around the room and the sound was excellent everywhere.  The only negative I saw with them was the color looked a little odd.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »

The only negative I saw with them was the color looked a little odd.
The reason for the color has several sides.

First of all we did not want a dark finish-as that can get quite hot under the sun.

While the manufacturer say we should not even be thinking about the life of the material for at least 50 years-I don't like touching cabinets and burning your hand.

The color is also "kinda natural" for what happens to "stuff" outside.  So it won't show dirt and such as much as darker colors.

The color goes all the way through.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.