ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas PRO1 and AES3  (Read 8941 times)

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
Midas PRO1 and AES3
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

Any Midas PRO console users out there?

If so, do you use the AES3 inputs? If you do, what do you use them for?

I don't have any experience with AES3 and am trying to figure out if there is a way to utilize these inputs.

I would like to use them for playback from an ipod, computer, etc...  If it is possible, what hardware do I need?

Thanks for any help.

David Jameson

• SR Forums
Re: Midas PRO1 and AES3
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »

I don't have any experience with AES3 and am trying to figure out if there is a way to utilize these inputs.

I would like to use them for playback from an ipod, computer, etc...  If it is possible, what hardware do I need?

Thanks for any help.

Hey Mark....We have purchased an AES converter to do just that in cases where we are using the Pro1 surface only to gain two more inputs (or rather save two XLR for other uses).  It's not perfect as the converter adds a little noise but it does work and works well for walk in music.  I don't have the make and model of the converter with me but if interested can let you know later this afternoon.

Good luck.
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »

Hey Mark....We have purchased an AES converter to do just that in cases where we are using the Pro1 surface only to gain two more inputs (or rather save two XLR for other uses).  It's not perfect as the converter adds a little noise but it does work and works well for walk in music.  I don't have the make and model of the converter with me but if interested can let you know later this afternoon.

Good luck.

Thanks David. That's what I'm looking for. If you could find out the name of the interface that would be great.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

Thanks for any help.

We've had guest engineers use them to insert a digital FX device, the Lexicon PCM91 being the most common.

Working as an audio dept stage hand, I've routinely encountered AES outputs used for system drive to either Dolby Lake Processors or directly to the amp racks.

SPDIF can be converted to AES3.  You may find your mixer being clocked from the digital playback device.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:11:14 AM »

Thanks David. That's what I'm looking for. If you could find out the name of the interface that would be great.
So you're going to burn the highest quality i/o on the console for an iPod?  Are you out of physical inputs?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jason misterka

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »

So you're going to burn the highest quality i/o on the console for an iPod?  Are you out of physical inputs?

The PRO1 has 40+8 channel capability but only has 24 inputs on the surface. The digital stagebox must be purchased separately.

When I had a PRO1 (before I swapped to the PRO2 and 2c with the digital stagebox) I was also looking for an iPod to AES solution that wasn't silly expensive so as not to waste inputs on playback.

It also seems dumb to have an extra DA and AD to play something that is starting out as 011101010100010101.  But I never found anything that made sense.

Jason

Sent from some device, using some software, probably inconveniently.  Apologies for any mistakes of grammar, spelling, or meaning.

Mark Jastrzebski

• Cleveland, OH
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »

We've had guest engineers use them to insert a digital FX device, the Lexicon PCM91 being the most common.

Working as an audio dept stage hand, I've routinely encountered AES outputs used for system drive to either Dolby Lake Processors or directly to the amp racks.

SPDIF can be converted to AES3.  You may find your mixer being clocked from the digital playback device.

Thanks Tim. Now I'm starting to understand how the AES3 ports are used on the console.

Most of the time I have just enough inputs on PRO 1. I guess am just looking for a way to squeeze out another couple of inputs using the AES3 ports until I get a midas AES50 stagebox.

Justin Myers

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

Hello Mark,
I use a Presonus Digimax 96k, http://www.presonus.com/products/DigiMax-96k, with my Pro 1.
It is an 8 Channel Mic preamp with built in AES outputs. You get 4 extra input channels to the Midas via AES and since each preamp channel on the Digimax also has a direct out I can us other Midas inputs such as "Talk Back"(Located near the AES IN/Out on the Back).

This gives an extra 5 Preamp channels and if you get real desperate you could use the input for the Talk to stage mic via another Presonus preamp channels direct out.

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

Mark....This is what I have:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770113&Q=&is=REG&A=details

You also need the S/PDIF or digital coax cable to XLR: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410703-REG/Lynx_Studio_Technology_CBL_XMDR18_CBL_XMDR18_RCA_Male_to.html

Don't remember now where I ordered it from but both unit and cable was less than $30.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:05:09 PM by David Jameson »
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »

Hi Tim,

I used the AES3 input for SPX1000 returns on my Pro9 with Dolly Parton on the 2011 tour.  I am alarmed by the thought that it may have clocked the entire rig from the Yamaha!  Can you elaborate?  I might not sleep tonight if you don't...

;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.