ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic Locker Build-Out  (Read 5862 times)

Jim McKeveny

Mic Locker Build-Out
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:01:31 AM »

After 3 x SM81, should I add more 81s or start adding AKG C214s? (Have a pair of 414s). The 81 and the 214 run neck and neck in both new and used market. Both mics also use the same WindTekMC12 clip.

I prefer a "limited menu" approach to micing live shows (which says more 81s), and I haven't ever had an issue with the collection as is, but I would enjoy some outside voices here.

Should I add 214s?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:07:08 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
Re: Mic Locker Build-Out
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »

I prefer a "limited menu" approach to micing live shows (which says more 81s), and I haven't ever had an issue with the collection as is, but I would enjoy some outside voices here.

I haven't used the AKG's so won't comment. I will endorse the limited selection route if you aren't having to meet riders that refuse them. After I bought my first few Earthworks mics, I found they were useful in so many places that I bought more of them. It made keeping track of mic clips easier, and the mics I had worked in more places than my other mics. The only flaw for me is that the Earthworks windscreens were often very specific to a mic so I had to keep better track of them.

If the 81s work for you most of the time, and you aren't getting refusals, I would stay with them, although it never hurts to have a few different mics for those just in case moments. I kept a few 81s and Heils for just that reason.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »

Whatever makes you more money. I too keep a limited mic locker of the standard mics. It hasn't been a problem yet.

- Tony Williams

Rick Earl

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »

Should I add 214s?

I bought a pair of 214s and find them a bit disappointing. That being said, I own a pair of 414s so it might be the direct comparison. The 214s are not as open sounding as the 414s, I find I will use my KSM32s over them too.

I have a similar approach, I own 8 Shure KSM 137s for the same reason. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

I concur with the limited approach with microphones.  It allows you to better know the ones you've got and how they can be maximized for use, especially in a live environment.

In a studio environment, you've got more ability to play around with options, so in that case, variety would be a better choice.

Of course, the right answer is to buy every possible mic that you can get your hands on, because, well, you can never have enough. :)
Brian Jojade

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »

I'd also probably stick with the 81's. I don't see the point in 214's if you have 414's - they are more similar, but the 414's have more options and sound better . . .

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »

Go for what you like best.  I will always vote for variety, though.  If you have 3 SM81's, do you find yourself saying, "I wish I had a few more for X instrument."?  I'd rather have a pair of something different to have another flavor that also works well. 
How about AKG C451?  Or Audio Technica 4041?  Shure KSM137?  All of these are a little different from what you have and in similar price points (the 451s are a bit more...); all work fine in similar applications but you might find a combination you really like on a particular instrument.
Sometimes I'll grab a great dynamic in place of a SDC for some instruments like high hat or acoustic guitar... like a Beyer M88, Sennheiser MD441 or MD421, or Telefunken M80.  Those would be cool alternatives to more SM81s as well.
Always fun to be getting new mics!  Enjoy...
Nils

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »

Thanks for the responses everyone! You are all helpful.

I've got a pair of 451s, a pair of 414s, an M88, 4 x 421, etc. We all have 10+ 58s, 10+ 57s, 2 x B52s, B57s, and the like.

When I really thought about it, it became apparent that the "critical path" had already been established by the existing 81s. There are many hit 'n' run soundchecks where a fat brace of identical SDCs makes life easier on everyone.

In retrospect, it wasn't so much about "ultimate sound", but about good sound fast.

More 81's it is!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:26:46 AM by Jim McKeveny »

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »

Thanks for the responses everyone! You are all helpful.

I've got a pair of 451s, a pair of 414s, an M88, 4 x 421, etc. We all have 10+ 58s, 10+ 57s, 2 x B52s, B57s, and the like.

When I really thought about it, it became apparent that the "critical path" had already been established by the existing 81s. There are many hit 'n' run soundchecks where a fat brace of identical SDCs makes life easier on everyone.

In retrospect, it wasn't so much about "ultimate sound", but about good sound fast.

More 81's it is!!

KSM32 is also on that list for me at least.  For the gain and go gigs it is hard to beat for a large diaphragm. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

John Chiara

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »

KSM32 is also on that list for me at least.  For the gain and go gigs it is hard to beat for a large diaphragm.
The 32 is not an LDC.... Take a look through the grill.
Great mic though!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.