ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Si Expression Live + Recording Setup  (Read 43415 times)

Michael Grimaila

Soundcraft Si Expression Live + Recording Setup
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »

I am considering purchasing the following:

Soundcraft Si Expression 3 - P/N: SI-EXPRESSION-3
Soundcraft Mini Stagebox 32 Optical MADI - P/N: 5033269
Solid State Logic MADI Xtreme 64 - P/N: 726907X1

To do live sound and recording for my band.

Does anyone have experience with this combination?

Any comments, criticisms, and alternatives are appreciated!

Michael
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:25:40 PM by Michael Grimaila »
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »

Any comments, criticisms, and alternatives are appreciated!

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: Soundcraft Si Expression Live + Recordind Setup
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »

Welcome, Michael.

I have not used the Si Expression, but have used a few of the Si Compact models. (They are similar) They are excellent sounding mixers and I love the easy work flow design.

If you wait just a bit, the new Dante expansion cards will be available for the full Si line of mixers, (depending on your location.) Dante is a new format similar to MADI that will carry 64 channels through a network cable to any MAC or PC. The receiving computer only needs to install the proprietary Dante software to decode the incoming signal. Any DAW software can then make use of it for multi-track recording and playback.

The main advantage over MADI is that you won't need to purchase a $1000+ (US) sound card for the computer DAW. Almost every modern computer already has a network port.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:24:44 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:36:01 PM »

The Expression has only one (1) expansion slot, so you'll need to make up your mind as to which is your higher priority, recording or the stage box. In my world recording is secondary to the job at hand and the stage box, which ADDS 16/32 more channels depending on model, is my priority. The Soundcraft stage boxes ship with the proper card.

The Expression has 16 outputs on the back of the board so in most cases taking a pair of those outputs through a mix or matrix to any inexpensive DAW setup will yield super results. I use Cubase.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:26 AM »

The Expression has only one (1) expansion slot, so you'll need to make up your mind as to which is your higher priority, recording or the stage box. In my world recording is secondary to the job at hand and the stage box, which ADDS 16/32 more channels depending on model, is my priority. The Soundcraft stage boxes ship with the proper card.

The Expression has 16 outputs on the back of the board so in most cases taking a pair of those outputs through a mix or matrix to any inexpensive DAW setup will yield super results. I use Cubase.

He should be able to do both from the Stagebox...
The Mini Stagebox 32 can be fitted with either a single-ended Cat5 MADI card (so only one cable can route to the mixer), or a dual-ended Cat5 MADI card which provides an auxiliary (parallel) output for routing to other gear such as the Solid State Logic MADI Xtreme 64.

But alas, I don't know if the Dante card will function in the Mini Stagebox. Time will tell.
Member since 2005.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »

He should be able to do both from the Stagebox...
The Mini Stagebox 32 can be fitted with either a single-ended Cat5 MADI card (so only one cable can route to the mixer), or a dual-ended Cat5 MADI card which provides an auxiliary (parallel) output for routing to other gear such as the Solid State Logic MADI Xtreme 64.

Doesn't the MADI expansion board on the console side have the same dual port ? In which case it is possible to use one port to connect to the stagebox, the other to the MADI soundcrard.
It seems that:
- stage box 16 is delivered with single MADI
- stage box 32 is delivered with dual MADI
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:08:48 AM by Nicolas Poisson »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »

Probably best to ask Soundcraft about the expansion boards, but I'm under the impression of one card one purpose. Also, any of the stage boxes can be ordered with your choice of board installed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 11:08:42 AM »

They will be able to be ordered with your choice of card - but not yet. Eventually you'll be able to put Dante in the snake.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »

They will be able to be ordered with your choice of card - but not yet. Eventually you'll be able to put Dante in the snake.

IMO they should've went all Dante on the board and snake from day 1. Then everyone would have had out of the box d-snake and recording without needing any other components besides a computer with the (included) Dante Virtual Soundcard.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

IMO they should've went all Dante on the board and snake from day 1. Then everyone would have had out of the box d-snake and recording without needing any other components besides a computer with the (included) Dante Virtual Soundcard.

I think it's pretty clear they did this because of Soundcraft's existing investment in MADI for their higher end desks. I agree, though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.