ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simplistic OSX recording software  (Read 3544 times)

Mark McFarlane

Simplistic OSX recording software
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »

I'm looking for a recording app under OSX, that will work with Dante, that has a minimal feature set. All I want is select # of channels, start, stop, persistent meters on all channels with a reset button, and maybe a way to mark tracks.

I am familiar with a wide range of DAWs (I am a longtime Cubase user), but for live gigs I just want something idiot proof with good metering.  Turn it on, hit record, turn it off. Go Home.

Anyone see a product like this on the market?

If not, I'll build  a custom template for Cubase and use that, maybe buy a second copy of the limited version since I don't want to loose my full verison dongle at a show.
Mark McFarlane

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Simplistic OSX recording software
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »

Mark,

I have Cubase for the home studio, Cakewalk for MIDI tracks, and just bought Sonar to replace the Cakewalk. Pretty simple full featured software for MIDI and sound. Recording is a snap. Download the demo version and give it a try.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

The absolute simplest and best I've found is Boomrecorder. It was originally designed for recording audio for video shoots. It has always been completely reliable as a recorder because that's it's specialty. It has adjustable pre-record and creates html log files of the recordings for future reference. It even includes a lightweight spectrum analyzer.

There are two versions. Boomrecorder lite is a 2-track version for $15 at the Apple app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boom-recorder-lite/id450768271?mt=12

The also make a Pro version for a massive number of tracks that is massively more expensive. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boom-recorder-pro/id454058495?mt=12
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:53:21 AM »

Reaper would be my first choice. It's easy to setup a template. Then you can recall it and hit record. Also the meters are easy to see too. It's not at simple as Boomrecorder but much cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running PSX 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »

The absolute simplest and best I've found is Boomrecorder. It was originally designed for recording audio for video shoots. It has always been completely reliable as a recorder because that's it's specialty. It has adjustable pre-record and creates html log files of the recordings for future reference. It even includes a lightweight spectrum analyzer.

There are two versions. Boomrecorder lite is a 2-track version for $15 at the Apple app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boom-recorder-lite/id450768271?mt=12

The also make a Pro version for a massive number of tracks that is massively more expensive. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/boom-recorder-pro/id454058495?mt=12

Boom Recorder is exactly what I am looking for, other than the $250 price.  For $50 I'd buy it.  Looks like I need to demo Reaper and join the masses.

Mark McFarlane

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

Reaper would be my first choice. It's easy to setup a template. Then you can recall it and hit record. Also the meters are easy to see too. It's not at simple as Boomrecorder but much cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running PSX 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro
+100.  This is what I do on my sac rig. I have an 8, 16, 24, 32, and 40 channel template.
I open Reaper, recall a template with 2 clicks, save it as a session which creates its own project directory, name tracks real quick if I have time or motivation (type and tab to skip to next channel like the venue desks) and hit record.
Everything streams to disk like a good modern recorder should and I've never seen Reaper go down in a recording session.

You can probably find a skin that will do skinny channels for recording and displaying a large number of tracks on the horizontal mixer view.

George Dougherty

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Something like this as a theme with Reaper would do nicely.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=117071

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »

I copied then modified the default Reaper theme to look like this for live recording.  It's on Windows but should be the same for OSX.  I saved the 32 channel project as a template.  Sometimes I'll insert an RTA on the last channel and route the Solo signal from the board to that channel for reference.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:06:44 PM »

I copied then modified the default Reaper theme to look like this for live recording.  It's on Windows but should be the same for OSX.  I saved the 32 channel project as a template.  Sometimes I'll insert an RTA on the last channel and route the Solo signal from the board to that channel for reference.

That looks good Corey.
Mark McFarlane

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

I also suggest Reaper. They have 2 licenses. A very low cost if you expect to earn less than $20k per year with it and a pro license which still only costs a fraction of Pro Tools.

I have the 32 bit version on my MacBook and the 64 bit version on the studio PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.