ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Which analog console would you like to see at FOH ( Medium Show) today ?  (Read 24771 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Which analog console would you like to see at FOH ( Medium Show) today ?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »

Grandpa, what is... "analog"?  ;)

I've mentioned this before...  We've now had Band Engineers who have NEVER mixed a show on an analog FOH setup.  Not just 1 guy, but probably getting close to 6 or 7 in the last 18 months.

For me, personally, I'd take a Yammy PM4k or 5k, Soundcraft Series 5, Midas Heritage series, or the much beloved APB Ti series.   You'll need 12 compressors (BSS or better), 8 gates (BSS or KT), and a KT DN410 for house EQ for me to be happy with the FOH.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:47:19 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »

Grandpa, what is... "analog"?

It's what Americans call analogue!

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »

It's what Americans call analogue!

Steve.

It's what you use to build a fire:

Kindling analog...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »

I am not qualified to give you advice on which console to choose, but I do have a few observations on this thread:
  • The size of the venue seems irrelevant for the console. Power amps & speakers, yes; but not for the console. More important is knowing what will be presented: what style of music, speech, multimedia, etc.
  • Will this be permanent install? Touring? Rental? (I assume rental, since you mention "sound company".)
  • How many inputs are necessary? The mixers listed may imply a certain number of inputs, but not necessarily.
  • How will the outputs be used? The choice of aux/matrix/etc. output may make a difference on whether the outputs are for monitors, recording, broadcast, fill, etc.
  • Who will be using the console? If almost always the same engineer, that person's opinion will weigh more greatly than any input here. If it will be primarily visiting engineers, the selection might weigh toward popularity and ease of use.
  • If it will almost always be you, then the advice presented here will be your best resource, but you must provide as much information as you know to help the other give the best advice. If you have the opportunity, find venues that have different consoles and ask to shadow the house engineer. If there are few or no public venues available to you, look to large churches.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

I've mentioned this before...  We've now had Band Engineers who have NEVER mixed a show on an analog FOH setup.  Not just 1 guy, but probably getting close to 6 or 7 in the last 18 months.

For me, personally, I'd take a Yammy PM4k or 5k, Soundcraft Series 5, Midas Heritage series, or the much beloved APB Ti series.   You'll need 12 compressors (BSS or better), 8 gates (BSS or KT), and a KT DN410 for house EQ for me to be happy with the FOH.

+1 on all counts.  Which means by the time you've provided all that you might as well provide a cheap digital console, which, provided it at least has moving faders, I'd also be perfectly happy with.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

Which analog console would you prefer to see at FOH from a sound company for under 1500 to 3,000 attendance shows?

Console base spec:
8 Bus Dual fonction Live sound Mixer.
VCA GROUP
8 - 10 auxes
Option for Discrete mono output for sub.
Mute Group System

( Outputs option: "8 - 10 Auxiliary outputs, 8 analog subgroups, matrix, VCA GROUP, Left/Right, Center, and Mono (subwoofer).

Those are the mixers that i work with this year.
Allen heath GL3800
APB Spectra-T/Ti
Soundcraft MH
Midas "Verona, Siena ... "

MH

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »

+1 on all counts.  Which means by the time you've provided all that you might as well provide a cheap digital console, which, provided it at least has moving faders, I'd also be perfectly happy with.

You, good sir, have officially grokked the concept I was insinuating.  You have won The Lounge for the Day.

Enjoy your reign.  Please rule responsibly.

/nudge, wink
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »

You, good sir, have officially grokked the concept I was insinuating.  You have won The Lounge for the Day.

Enjoy your reign.  Please rule responsibly.

/nudge, wink

I'd like to thank The Academy......
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Maidson Pierre-Louis

• www.maidiaproductions.com
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »

I'd like to thank The Academy......

Thank you Guys for your inside. Your point help me come to a conclusion with my business partner because he so in love with analogue mixer.

1+. Digital mixer win today market.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »

Thank you Guys for your inside. Your point help me come to a conclusion with my business partner because he so in love with analogue mixer.

1+. Digital mixer win today market.

There will be a "great analogue revival", but trying remain an analogue company while waiting for the nostalgia fad to hit... it will be a competitive disadvantage.

By and large digital mixing is getting better and easier.  Time to keep up with the kids, I think. :)

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 23 queries.