ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QU16 - help  (Read 14172 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
QU16 - help
« on: November 29, 2013, 12:35:37 PM »

I feel like an idiot right now. I always thought I was pretty good at figuring stuff out but I think I have got myself frustrated and I need to walk away!
My new QU16 arrived on wednesday but what with the holiday, today is the first chance I have had to mess with it. I have to say first off this is a nicely laid out unit and well built.
So.....for me having used analog my whole life (like many others here I am sure) this is a new learning curve.
I got a mic plugged in and working -duh !- Messed with eq and loved how it all fell into place. Simple right?.
Next step - keep it simple - filter through some onboard effects...but -OMG...what is wrong with me?
I messed around a couple hours ago and got a couple of effects assigned to FX1 and FX2 and got them working with a mic.  Problem is I wasn't really sure how I did it. I then turned everything off and walked away for a while.
Now I cannot work out how to use the effects again. What in the world?
I'm finding it difficult to get my head around it all of a sudden. I have read the manual a dozen times but just cannot work it out.
Could someone (maybe a QU16 wiz like Mr. Rees..)..walk me through this??. The 2 effects I am playing with are assigned already so I don't need help there, I'm just probably struggling with the routing somehow.
I must admit I have to keep thinking about my mixwiz and translate but I want this to come naturally. sorry....maybe I am being impatient???
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: QU16 - help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

ooooh oooh.......I think I got it again. Still got to get my head around these setting but I can at least access it again within a few button pushes and slider moves.
I'd still appreciate any tips you may have to help me move along my personal path of adventure !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »

ooooh oooh.......I think I got it again. Still got to get my head around these setting but I can at least access it again within a few button pushes and slider moves.
I'd still appreciate any tips you may have to help me move along my personal path of adventure !!!

Like I said a while back, the main difference with a digital desk over the analog "equivalent" is now all your routing is in the box, sort of "virtual cabling".  You'll get it quick enough.  Just make sure you verify signal at each point.  The FX engines all have small meters just to the side of the label for each of the four FX's.

Another thing to remember is to check that you have either assigned or enabled things.  There is often another step to do after selecting something from a menu, such as "select", "enable" or sometimes a box that needs to be checked.

With the FX bus, you need to go to the "back panel" of your selected effect and select how it is routed back to the mix, either direct to mains, back to a channel or an insert. 

But you'll find this all out and then see that most if not all of it is actually mentioned in the manual, but for me it wasn't all clear until I had worked through it "hands on", referring to the manual in the process.  Eventually it all sank in and once it did, I began to get more of an intuitive sense of this "virtual cabling". 

Send me a PM if you want to sit down with your board and chat real-time and hands-on. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 02:05:48 PM »

Like I said a while back, the main difference with a digital desk over the analog "equivalent" is now all your routing is in the box, sort of "virtual cabling".  You'll get it quick enough.  Just make sure you verify signal at each point.  The FX engines all have small meters just to the side of the label for each of the four FX's.

Another thing to remember is to check that you have either assigned or enabled things.  There is often another step to do after selecting something from a menu, such as "select", "enable" or sometimes a box that needs to be checked.

With the FX bus, you need to go to the "back panel" of your selected effect and select how it is routed back to the mix, either direct to mains, back to a channel or an insert. 

But you'll find this all out and then see that most if not all of it is actually mentioned in the manual, but for me it wasn't all clear until I had worked through it "hands on", referring to the manual in the process.  Eventually it all sank in and once it did, I began to get more of an intuitive sense of this "virtual cabling". 

Send me a PM if you want to sit down with your board and chat real-time and hands-on.
Did anyone ever tell you that you are a really helpful and encouraging guy?

Thanks Dick. I'm getting it. I think I panicked.
For a female (no offense to anyone here as we girls tend to be more emotional than logical) I am quite logical and if something works one minute but not the next I have to be 100% sure as to what I did differently. That is what was confusing me. I was throwing up sliders and getting stuff to happen - not a good plan I realize. I worked out that although I had set up each of my effects, and knew how to make the sends work with FX mix button assigned, I wasn't setting the return sliders on layer 2 before returning to layer 1 so unless I hit every slider, I got no effects. Simple now I know....
i'll keep playing and if I need more help (which might be the case at some point), I'll PM you - I really appreciate that Dick and hope you don't mind.......

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

Did anyone ever tell you that you are a really helpful and encouraging guy?

Thanks Dick. I'm getting it. I think I panicked.
For a female (no offense to anyone here as we girls tend to be more emotional than logical) I am quite logical and if something works one minute but not the next I have to be 100% sure as to what I did differently. That is what was confusing me. I was throwing up sliders and getting stuff to happen - not a good plan I realize. I worked out that although I had set up each of my effects, and knew how to make the sends work with FX mix button assigned, I wasn't setting the return sliders on layer 2 before returning to layer 1 so unless I hit every slider, I got no effects. Simple now I know....
i'll keep playing and if I need more help (which might be the case at some point), I'll PM you - I really appreciate that Dick and hope you don't mind.......

I went through exactly the same stage of getting things to work but not really grokking all that I had done to get it to come out.  It sorts itself out after a while, though.

Thanks for your kind words.

If you get the iPad app, you'll have access to an extra "user" layer, so four layers instead of three. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »

I went through exactly the same stage of getting things to work but not really grokking all that I had done to get it to come out.  It sorts itself out after a while, though.

Thanks for your kind words.

If you get the iPad app, you'll have access to an extra "user" layer, so four layers instead of three.

Definitely getting the ipad app and really looking forward to it! BTW...haven't even looked at the custom 3rd layer yet !

You'll be pleased to know I just spent the last hour with the board and I feel although I am not too quick just yet and certainly have a lot to learn, I could take it out and gig with it (if I had to) YAY !!

Next lesson for me....recording functions and routing possibilities.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

I feel a bit silly right now and need help again with the QU16 ( Maybe Dick Rees??)
So I am taking it out for the first time this weekend and I am very excited. I can get to everything I need quickly and I am finally thinking in the digital language.
However, I figured I'd go one step further and record the first show  multi channel. I have my hard drive set up, I've been able to record my voice through a mic - or at least I can see the meters responding. Problem is when I try to play it back - nothing. I know that it is a routing issue but I cannot find what is wrong. The manual now doesn't correspond to the display since I did the 2 firmware updates and I am going crazy trying to get the playback to work. I have scanned the WWW and I have tried the default assigned to ST1 and LR but no luck...WHat am I missing QU16 experts?????

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »

I feel a bit silly right now and need help again with the QU16 ( Maybe Dick Rees??)
So I am taking it out for the first time this weekend and I am very excited. I can get to everything I need quickly and I am finally thinking in the digital language.
However, I figured I'd go one step further and record the first show  multi channel. I have my hard drive set up, I've been able to record my voice through a mic - or at least I can see the meters responding. Problem is when I try to play it back - nothing. I know that it is a routing issue but I cannot find what is wrong. The manual now doesn't correspond to the display since I did the 2 firmware updates and I am going crazy trying to get the playback to work. I have scanned the WWW and I have tried the default assigned to ST1 and LR but no luck...WHat am I missing QU16 experts?????

Things are often not where I think they should be in the Qu-16 menus.  Here's a clip from the manual.   You have to set the source of all of the channels to USB for multitrack playback.

From the processing screen, hit the function button.  Click "All" then "USB".  Make sure the "Global USB Source" is set to "Qu Drive".
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:25:04 PM by Corey Scogin »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »

Things are often not where I think they should be in the Qu-16 menus.  Here's a clip from the manual.   You have to set the source of all of the channels to USB for multitrack playback.

From the processing screen, hit the function button.  Click "All" then "USB".  Make sure the "Global USB Source" is set to "Qu Drive".

Ah ha !! Thanks Corey. I've got some time tomorrow to play with it again and see if I can get it to work before I leave for the gig.
I did miss this step today - checked the manual a few times but didn't see it.
Thank you so much for the help ...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »

YAY... I got it - thanks to Corey. I am so frigging excited to use this thing tonight. I am going to record the band and then do some editing without letting them know and present it to them. I just did a dry run this morning with minimal equipment to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. All was good. This whole transition from analog to digital is SO much more than just onboard processing and better preamps etc. It has become a whole new world of exploration for me.
Did I mention how much I love my QU16?? DICK REES IS A STAR !!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.