ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QU16 - help  (Read 14175 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: QU16 - help
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

Did I mention how much I love my QU16?? DICK REES IS A STAR !!!

Damn it, Debbie, now his head will swell up so big we'll never get him back in the accordion case...  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 02:41:05 PM »

Damn it, Debbie, now his head will swell up so big we'll never get him back in the accordion case...  8)

My cats already think I'm a star because I can use a can opener.

And there's no room in the accordion case because that's what I'm using to transport my Qu-16...

But the real star is Ryan Jenkins who helped me latch onto one of the first Qu-16's shipped into the US.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:15:26 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »

Did my first gig with the QU16 at a local bar/restaurant. The start of the evening was disastrous.
Got there at 8.45. Had been told by the venue we couldn't get in any earlier than 9.00 due to the stage area being full of tables with customers eating dinner till then. Start time was 10.30pm -   :-\
When we arrived, we went in and took one look at the stage area and realized that those diners were not going anywhere soon.
Usually I get there early to be able to run the snake and all the cables neatly before the musicians arrive and get in my way.
So we brought all the equipment into a side waiting area which is what we were told to do last time we were there.
A bar manager came into the room and told us to move everything out again  because he needed the room to store the tables that were being used by the customers eating in the stage area. So, we took it all outside and stacked it at the door.
The drummer arrived and told us that he had set his kit up at 12.30 lunch time to save time but after he got back to his place of work, the manager called him and told him to come back and remove his kit.  When he got there asked if he could simply move the kit to a corner of the room and was told "No". So he wasn't a happy camper.
We continued to wait and finally at around 10.00pm staff came into the room with tables and chairs. We frantically started dragging the equipment in and begun setting up. People were still in the way and it made things very difficult for us.
I put the desk where I was told to last time and the manager came up to me and told me I had to put it by the stage behind the FOH speakers.
UH ? I advised him that I would not be able to hear anything and he let me stay there but blocked me in with a dining table full of people.
Then we couldn't get access to the front of the stage area to place the PA speakers again due to tables and people in the way.
We were frantically running around at the speed of sound trying to get things done at crazy speed - meanwhile I was concerned because I certainly would not have chosen an evening like that to be the first time using the new desk.
Anyway, got everything hooked up, turned on the FOH and started iPod - nothing. In my haste, I had forgotten to turn on the DRPA but didn't realize yet which has never happened before. Couldn't get any sound through the front.
I was checking cables and connections like a crazy person. The musicians were asking me when I'd be up and running and so was my favorite bar manager.  Just when I was about to scream, I noticed the DRPA not on and finally - sound FOH and monitors.
Singer decides to plug in a brand new wireless mic which she had not even taken out of the box and suddenly horrendous feedback.
It seemed everything was going wrong.
I had wanted to record the gig but that wasn't going to happen.
Anyway, we were up in 60 minutes and ready to roll at 11.00pm.
No sound check- not even a signal check of anything. I quickly placed the sliders and settings where I thought they should be and 1,2,3,4..OMG....it sounded fantastic.
I have no idea why it should have sounded that good but it was high fives all round. After some monitor tweaking and subtle channel changes, it was where I wanted it to be and we were rolling.
The band sounded great and I got more compliments than I ever have.
I was absolutely STOKED.
After I calmed down, I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and the live experience was the best training tool ever.
So finally, a great night, dance floor was packed  till closing at 1.45pm and we had a blast...YAY
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 06:29:23 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, all of us have had gigs like that. Welcome to "live" sound :D
Great that it went well and the show as good. Lucky you spent time learning the Q16 in advance!
However, it sounds like the owner wants it all his way and no consideration for the work you need to do.
If you are going to do the gig again, perhaps a chat with the owner, explaining what you need, could lead to a compromise and make it smoother for everyone.

As for singers showing up with untested wireless mics...not cool in that kind of situation.
Maybe they could have made do with wired mics, considering the circumstances.

DRPA...Drive Rack PA?
When trouble shooting any rig, power to devices is the first thing to check before anything else.
Everyone here who has forgotten to turn something on, raise your hand. See, you are not alone. ;D
It can be tough to find problems with everyone breathing down your neck but relax and take your time.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 06:35:31 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kev Jones

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »

Glad the QU-16 is working out for you Debbie.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »

I cannot believe I forgot to turn the DRPA on. So silly !! Really never forgotten to turn on a piece of equipment before.
Thanks for pointing out Keith that everyone has done it at some point.
I put it down to the time restrictions and the pressure I was feeling from the musicians and the restaurant manager.
We are back at the same place on Jan 10th so I hope they get better organized before then.
Yeah Kev..I love this mixer. I am sure that if I had chosen the Studiolive or the SI, I would have been very satisfied with my purchase.
I just have a comfort level with A & H having been a MixWiz user for so long and it seems to give me everything I need (and more).
Next time...recording and maybe ipad mixing......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kev Jones

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »

Yes, I understand your point about being an A&H analogue user and then choosing A&H digital.  I've been using an A&H GL2400 for the past few years, so I'm heavily leaning towards getting a Qu-16 when I go digital.  Still reading and researching!  But I think it's looking like the QU-16 will win my business.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »

Looking for some guidance from my fellow QU16 users.........
Guess what I got from Santa? An ipad and router for my QU16 ....YAY.

So, I have it all set up and working quite well. I cannot help but get such a kick out of watching the faders move on their own ...he he - it's the child in me........
Anyway, so I can get everything to do what it is supposed to do other then  one aspect. I am unable to switch to the FX/Mix layer from the ipad. I can select the layer on the mixer and then have control from the ipad but I cannot work out how to make that selection from the iPad.
What did I miss peeps??
( I even worked out how to set up the 3rd layer Dick...)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »

Looking for some guidance from my fellow QU16 users.........
Guess what I got from Santa? An ipad and router for my QU16 ....YAY.

So, I have it all set up and working quite well. I cannot help but get such a kick out of watching the faders move on their own ...he he - it's the child in me........
Anyway, so I can get everything to do what it is supposed to do other then  one aspect. I am unable to switch to the FX/Mix layer from the ipad. I can select the layer on the mixer and then have control from the ipad but I cannot work out how to make that selection from the iPad.
What did I miss peeps??
( I even worked out how to set up the 3rd layer Dick...)

DD...

Congratulations and Happy Holidays.

Are you running firmware v1.2?  You need the latest of everything and matching versions of the firmware and the app.  I just pulled out my iPad to check and I get all the controls you're looking for.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

DD...

Congratulations and Happy Holidays.

Are you running firmware v1.2?  You need the latest of everything and matching versions of the firmware and the app.  I just pulled out my iPad to check and I get all the controls you're looking for.

Thanks Dick.

I do have the firmware all updated and I think I have worked out that what I am expecting the ipad to do, is not actually do-able or in fact necessary.
I was expecting to see the FX layer light illuminate on the mixer and the faders move when I select the FX layer on the ipad - just like it does normally when you select that layer on the mixer.
However, it makes sense that the changes are not evident on the mixer if you make them from the iPad because until you select the FX layer on the mixer, you are unable to proceed to make changes anyway.
I hope this doesn't sound like giberish...???????

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 02:36:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.