ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Line Array  (Read 50277 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: VRX Line Array
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:31 PM »

I have no problem with the VRX, not my favorite, but great for a lot of projects.

I do have a problem with deploying them in such a ridiculous fashion.

Being mainly a Harman house, and not wanting to keep buying loads more speakers until business can support it... the VRX boxes are my go to utility box for when something needs more then 450s but either need them flown, thus negating SRX (4x725) or can't justify the size/cost of VerTec (16x4888).

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure this isn't true but, another local sound engineer told me that I could get 6 per side of the JBL VRX932LAP along with the VRX 18 subs or STX dual 18" and would be able to get as much coverage and output as I would with two-three EAW 850EFs per side? I'm thinking that's not true, I don't seem them going anywhere near as loud as the EAW 850EFs to keep up with an outdoor festival for 2,500 people at least (3 per side 850EF can do almost 4,000 I've been told by most in a medium sized area) Any thoughts on that? I just don't seem them doing that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:47:16 PM by JasonFinnigan »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:29 PM »

A buddy of mine saw this the other day at a festival.

I thought it was appropriate in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, why did they stack the SRX728's on their sides?  What were they thinking??
Brian Jojade

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 08:11:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure this isn't true but, another local sound engineer told me that I could get 6 per side of the JBL VRX932LAP along with the VRX 18 subs or STX dual 18" and would be able to get as much coverage and output as I would with two-three EAW 850EFs per side? I'm thinking that's not true, I don't seem them going anywhere near as loud as the EAW 850EFs to keep up with an outdoor festival for 2,500 people at least (3 per side 850EF can do almost 4,000 I've been told by most in a medium sized area) Any thoughts on that? I just don't seem them doing that.
I am one of seven people on this board who has not actually used any of the KF850 variants... so, I have no opinion on the comparison. But, a 6 box hang of VRX is gonna be 90° vertical-- so straight down to straight out. You'd need to get them up pretty high to not be wasting the bottom 2 boxes per hang. (And then you negate the need for front fills!)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure this isn't true but, another local sound engineer told me that I could get 6 per side of the JBL VRX932LAP along with the VRX 18 subs or STX dual 18" and would be able to get as much coverage and output as I would with two-three EAW 850EFs per side?
Jason,

Aside from how they would each be arrayed (six of the VRX make a 90 x 100 HF pattern, the EAW HF pattern would be around 110 x 40 degrees), from a sensitivity standpoint the 6 JBL 12" would be about equal the two EAW 15. Assuming we use the JBL peak power rating of 1725 watts x 6=10,350, assuming the EAW's are powered with around 2000 watts per driver = 4000 watts, so the JBLs could be a bit more than 3 dB louder, though take away the peak rating and they are about the same.

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »

I have heard 4/side VRX932 with lots of subby, and it sounded like a small box being pushed very, very hard. This in a 5,000 capacity auditorium that was sold as floor-only (about 2000 seats) for a gospel show.  I was very glad it wasn't my gig or rig.

While I consider myself to be a KF850 n00b, I have no problem believing that horizontal coverage aside, 2 850s would simply stomp the 4 VRX, especially in the mids.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »

I have heard 4/side VRX932 with lots of subby, and it sounded like a small box being pushed very, very hard. This in a 5,000 capacity auditorium that was sold as floor-only (about 2000 seats) for a gospel show.  I was very glad it wasn't my gig or rig.

While I consider myself to be a KF850 n00b, I have no problem believing that horizontal coverage aside, 2 850s would simply stomp the 4 VRX, especially in the mids.

That's kinda what I figure. He's one of those "dj" turn in to a sound guy.. and we all know how they are, He's probably pushing the boxes so hard the can in fact get as loud as the 850 but whole lack any clarity/intelligibility at that point.. I would be nice however if someone steped up to the plate a made a modern box that had the same power has the EAW 850 but I guess everyone want's a sexy line array now any one with good volume is going to be starting at like $50-$75k imo.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »

That's kinda what I figure. He's one of those "dj" turn in to a sound guy.. and we all know how they are, He's probably pushing the boxes so hard the can in fact get as loud as the 850 but whole lack any clarity/intelligibility at that point.. I would be nice however if someone steped up to the plate a made a modern box that had the same power has the EAW 850 but I guess everyone want's a sexy line array now any one with good volume is going to be starting at like $50-$75k imo.

Meh. Your Line Array is just another tool in the box. If you're just using it everywhere cos it's what's "Sexy," then you need to re-think your business model. Use the best took for the job, not what's sexy or what makes you the most money.

-Ray "upgrading an 8 year client to 5/side VT4888 cos they're sexier than 725s" Aberle
Kelcema Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »

Meh. Your Line Array is just another tool in the box. If you're just using it everywhere cos it's what's "Sexy," then you need to re-think your business model. Use the best took for the job, not what's sexy or what makes you the most money.

-Ray "upgrading an 8 year client to 5/side VT4888 cos they're sexier than 725s" Aberle

My employer expects me to maximize revenue and most customers seem to prefer to give up more $$ for the sexy vertical thingy.  Fine by me unless the choice is stupendously wrong (or impractical), and then we'll try to steer them to the conventional rigs and save them a few ducats, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

My employer expects me to maximize revenue and most customers seem to prefer to give up more $$ for the sexy vertical thingy.  Fine by me unless the choice is stupendously wrong (or impractical), and then we'll try to steer them to the conventional rigs and save them a few ducats, too.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I should have been more specific: If you're pushing someone towards a line array because it will bring in the most money AND be detrimental to the quality of the event. Yes, if an event can handle it, both fiscally and in the system design, awesome, but if you're specing an 8 box hang of 88s in a small hotel ballroom (say 50' wide by 115' deep) just because they'll do it, well that's what I was talking about silly choices.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.