ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: VRX Line Array  (Read 50253 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: VRX Line Array
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

That is one of the worst things I've seen in some time...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »

That is one of the worst things I've seen in some time...

I'm just trying to grasp the thought process behind setting that up. I mean, really… why? You're not gonna get more coverage any direction… just a mumble of mush. *sighs*

-Ray "running 2 over 2 VRX per side right now at an event" Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Nathan DePaulo

« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2014, 11:59:10 PM »

I'm just trying to grasp the thought process behind setting that up. I mean, really… why? You're not gonna get more coverage any direction… just a mumble of mush. *sighs*

It tickles me to imagine the FOH guy saying to the stagehand as he's hanging those VRXs side-by-side, "Hey hey hey, what are you doing?! The horns need to be right up next to each other!" 

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »

It tickles me to imagine the FOH guy saying to the stagehand as he's hanging those VRXs side-by-side, "Hey hey hey, what are you doing?! The horns need to be right up next to each other!"
I'll bet it has some SIZZLE directly on axis!  That's a lot of comp driver pointed in one direction..

I'm sure that's true, Tom. I think Drew's assumption about the VRX having bigger LF drivers than the 4886, which caused him not to consider it, were bad assumptions and not really thought out.

No, I was thinking about low frequency output (you know, below 250hz or so).  The sd x xmax is a large predictor of output potential. [output in midrange is largely thermally limited whereas low frequency is a mix of excursion and thermal] I have no doubt that the 4886 sound better and seems louder over the rest of the range (probably vocals especially) but I'm having a hard time seeing it put out more dBs, box for box, at the bottom end.  As was pointed out, the 4886 is likely to be deployed in larger numbers (like a "real" line array) whereas the VRX is more of a utility box (deploy as many as the customer will pay for...) so it's more of an apples to oranges kind of thing. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
VRX Line Array
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »

I'm pretty skeptical of the assertion about box for box SPL performance below 250. You talk about excursion, but don't mention any real specs of the actual driver in the VRX vs the vertec. It's not as though driver diameter is a conclusive predictor of output. I'm not qualified to say exactly what the case is here, but I'm very skeptical of your explanation.

Not to mention the value of "more output below 250". We're hoping for flat, right? Maybe I'm not following you, please feel to explain.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:02:43 PM by Samuel Rees »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »

I'm pretty skeptical of the assertion about box for box SPL performance below 250. You talk about excursion, but don't mention any real specs of the actual driver in the VRX vs the vertec. It's not as though driver diameter is a conclusive predictor of output. I'm not qualified to say exactly what the case is here, but I'm very skeptical of your explanation.

Not to mention the value of "more output below 250". We're hoping for flat, right? Maybe I'm not following you, please feel to explain.
It's hard to tell what assumptions the calculators make, but here's a composite picture from the various LAC tools.  The graph is at 1 meter.  The VRX tool says that the graph indicates preset output, and I selected V5 long throw for 4886.  Selecting max output for 4886 gives a chunk more SPL.

I will say from experience, that 4886 is louder than VRX broadband (3 4886 vs 2 VRX). 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:05:35 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »

It's hard to tell what assumptions the calculators make, but here's a composite picture from the various LAC tools.  The graph is at 1 meter.  The VRX tool says that the graph indicates preset output, and I selected V5 long throw for 4886.  Selecting max output for 4886 gives a chunk more SPL.

I will say from experience, that 4886 is louder than VRX broadband (3 4886 vs 2 VRX).
Tom, you went with a 4886/4883 combination, right?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »

Tom, you went with a 4886/4883 combination, right?

-Ray
Yep.  My usual system is 3x4886 over 1x4883 over 1xTH118 per side.  I have two partner companies in the city that I can cross-rent additional boxes from.  Attached is a picture of the event I just completed - 100 x 220' room (we used about 100' x 120') with 500 high school students.

I run the 4886/120Hz preset, the 4883 60Hz - 120Hz preset, and the TH118s I think to about 85 or 90Hz (group-fed).  I was watching the limiters on the ITechs and I had about 10dB left on the 4886 and 4883, and was occasionally maxed out on the TH118s.  Next year I will be bringing another pair of TH118. 

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »

I have no problem with the VRX, not my favorite, but great for a lot of projects.

I do have a problem with deploying them in such a ridiculous fashion.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »

I'll bet it has some SIZZLE directly on axis!  That's a lot of comp driver pointed in one direction..

I've NEVER heard VRX boxes and thought, "man I wish I could hear more of that sweet horn sound"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.