ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protecting powered speakers from Direct sunlight/heat  (Read 6778 times)

Franklin Benjamin

Protecting powered speakers from Direct sunlight/heat
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »

I've witnessed powered speakers thermal on a hot summer day.  Incident in question was a high humidity, 93 degree day where a subrented srm450 being used as a wedge thermaled.  Not much could be done unless we had put a fan on it.  In a situation where a powered top is being used as a main and there is no option for setting up in a shaded area, what are the recommendations for keeping them cool.  Does anyone make something like a hat for a speaker?  ( I know it sounds ridiculous) but I'm looking into preventative measures.  Tops are JBL PRX612M.  I've yet to have one fail and trying to keep it that way.

Thanks

Franklin.

Steve Garris

Re: Protecting powered speakers from Direct sunlight/heat
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »

I've witnessed powered speakers thermal on a hot summer day.  Incident in question was a high humidity, 93 degree day where a subrented srm450 being used as a wedge thermaled.  Not much could be done unless we had put a fan on it.  In a situation where a powered top is being used as a main and there is no option for setting up in a shaded area, what are the recommendations for keeping them cool.  Does anyone make something like a hat for a speaker?  ( I know it sounds ridiculous) but I'm looking into preventative measures.  Tops are JBL PRX612M.  I've yet to have one fail and trying to keep it that way.

Thanks

Franklin.

I haven't used mine out in the heat yet, but if I did I would just clamp these onto the backs of the cab's.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Holmes-Black-6-inch-Clip-Table-Fan/7699961/product.html

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »

Paint 'em white?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »

Don't use powered cabinet? Especially newer mackie/eaw stuff is poorly made. JBL/QSC and EV all make power versions that have bulit-in fans.

Thanks

Franklin.

Use passive speakers would be the best choice. Other than that don't use the newer mackie stuff lot of their boxes are unfortunately prone to issues. JBL/QSC/EV all have boxes available  that have fans built in. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:23:45 PM by JasonFinnigan »

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:25:26 PM »

I haven't used mine out in the heat yet, but if I did I would just clamp these onto the backs of the cab's.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Holmes-Black-6-inch-Clip-Table-Fan/7699961/product.html

If you were going to do something like that be sure to at least put it on another circuit as they can make the AC noisy.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:02 PM »

If you were going to do something like that be sure to at least put it on another circuit as they can make the AC noisy.
That is nonsense. I have plugged fans into the same circuits as stage power for 40 years, and stage amps use far more gain so are more prone to noise induction than a powered speaker. I plug fans in at FOH, and have used them for extra air on power amps of many different types.

Fans using a "dimmer circuit" can radiate RF, but putting them on a different circuit would not cure that problem anyway.

Convection heat removal is often times not effective enough when heat sinks are absorbing heat from direct sunlight, the only solutions are forced air cooling or dry ice if shade is unavailable.

An umbrella shading the heat sinks would be helpful, but the extra windage requires secure mounting, like 50+ pounds of sandbags on the stand base.

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »

That is nonsense. I have plugged fans into the same circuits as stage power for 40 years,

Maybe you have done it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't causes issues. The nature of how a fan works will dump noise on to the AC lines, especially if the wind is blowing causing the fans to turn even more than the motor is driving it. We can't even use normal AC fans at a cell tower site I used to do a lot of work for as it cause interference in the radio amplifiers for emergency services. We have to use a AC inverter with battery filter in place or use DC drive motors with a filter.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

DC brushed motors are probably the worst thing for RF noise.

Clearly there are acceptable choices for fans out there, or all the fans in the backs of PA amps would be killing shows every night.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »

My low-tech, no noise solution is to shade the amp panel with a cardboard shield. The high(er) tech version is made from mylar laminate flexible insulation sheeting from my local hardware store. YMMV. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.